Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Really? another Survivor Hot Rod found!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by titus, Feb 23, 2015.

1. titus

titus

So as some of you know i kinda like survivor hot rods, ive gotten a few of them back on the road for customers and now another one has surfaced. all becuase of my freind Louie (owner of the survivor chopped full fendered 32 5 window coupe i posted on here years back)

Louie and his buddys were all pretty involved in hot rodding in the mid 50s and most had cars, Jerry "Red" Gadbois was one of them, in 1954 when he was 14 he bought a 36 ford 3 window coupe for $300. with in the next 2 years it had a fresh paint job, fresh engine and fresh interior. The coupe was a super nice coupe, dark blue paint done by Dons paint and body in white bear lake, the motor was a bored stroked and balanced 59 ab flathead built by a local flathead guru Sam Rukutani, his brother george got the job of converting the lincoln v12 distributor for use on the v8 flathead at his shop Auto repair service. the interior was done by another local custom upholstery shop Sy Green and Sons. the car was also got a columbia rear end installed in it. It was driven all over the place. in 1973 Jerry got into farming so his interested shifted and the car was parked in garage, it sat there till in was moved onto his new farm where it sat outside for a year or two, then it was finally moved into an old barn, where it sat until 2015. Louie new Jerry still had the car but he would never let anyone look at it, i guess he was embarrased of the condition of the car compared to its former glory. mid 2014 he sold his farm but was let to live on the property for another year or so, he new it was going to be time to get the car out. So he finally let Louie come look at it, a few weeks later i was informed i was welcome to come look at it, so i got the meet Jerry and pic his brain about the car and talk with him about selling the car etc etc, unfortunately Jerry passed way a few weeks later, it was very sudden. Now the owner of the land wanted the property cleared right way, so Louie was contacted buy the family about the car. Me and Louie talked about getting the car and i expressed interested if Louie decided to pass. Louie ended up buying the car from the family with the intentions of selling it to me when i can round up the money for it. so its basically mine, its at my house but Loiue owns it for now, or at least part of it as ive already started paying it off!

So heres some pics.

downsized_1123141346.jpg downsized_1123141349.jpg 1123141326.jpg 65.jpg 924093_880903265286617_368267440_n.jpg downsized_0220151227.jpg downsized_0220151513b.jpg downsized_0220151625.jpg

2. WOW! That's a Bitchin' car and a GREAT story! Glad it's going to,a good home.

3. Big Al

Big Al
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Very cool.
    Al.

4. Love those 3 windows. Congratulations---

5. Congrats, that's very cool. I'll bet Jerry would be happy with where the 36 is going. RIP Jerry.
    So will this be your build thread, cause I'd like to watch you breathe fresh life back into this ol Ford.

wingnutz and volvobrynk like this.
  6. slammed

slammed

7. farmer12

farmer12

8. Wow again, It will be hard for you to ever top that find....Great history, local, good colors, and a three window, another car that deserves to stay in Minnesota!

primeisnotacrime likes this.
  9. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    from Austin, TX
    Staff Member

You piss me off sometimes man...

10. slowmotion

slowmotion

11. Great find, love these threads, I too hope this car stays in MN.

young'n'poor likes this.
  12. 562roadster

562roadster

Love it! Nice score

13. The37Kid

The37Kid

What a nice find, great car with a known history. Guess we'll have to follow the HAMB classified section and help you pay it off. Bob

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  14. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

I knew you had something cookin, you have posted lots of parts for sale lately in the classifieds! It's a once in a life time score don't ever let it go like I did......................................................

15. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

16. Damn, That is an unbelievable find! And with great history as well. Will be watching as this comes back to life.

volvobrynk and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  17. 1959Nomad

1959Nomad

very nice find, looking forward to seeing you get it back on the street.

18. brady1929

brady1929

Absolutely beautiful!

dearjose likes this.
  19. 3030

All these posts no HRP you working?

volvobrynk and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  20. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

note to self...move next door to titus
    lucky bass-turd

21. raven

raven

Ha, ha. I thought I was the only one.
    Good score. Start cleaning that thing up and show us some pics after that.
    r

22. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wow, another great slice of history; in the right hands! Can't wait to see how you preserve this one. Congrats on your good fortune.

23. She's beautyful. Congratulations.

24. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Illinois
    1. 1940 Ford

Great story! Makes one wonder how many more are " sleeping" out there.

volvobrynk and lothiandon1940 like this.
  25. banjorear

banjorear

Wow, great story. One of the my favorite early Ford V8 body styles. Congrats!

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  26. 40FORDPU

40FORDPU
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Yelm, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

27. WOW!!!!!...congrats. My first thought was "I wonder if he'll "restore" it to Jerry's idea of a mild custom" or if it's gonna be a full-on chopped Westergard-style custom? Really fun decisions to make.
    I see it as a really low, chopped custom with black cherry paint [or maybe super dark midnight blue].

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  28. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Boy Titus, you sure know how to hurt a guy!
    Wow, what a survivor.
    That 14-16 yr. old kid had it made; new flatty, paint, upholstery, chrome garnish, etc.
    Sell off some of that gold on your garage walls and you'll own that puppy in no time...
    What's the location of the ol mountain top photo?

29. TinShed

TinShed

Dam, Nice find!!!! I need to step it up, when I look in a barn around here all I find is dust and Rats!!!

30. FalconMan

FalconMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Jeff, I love that car..... way way cool. I need to come out and take a real look at it.

DenK likes this.