Register now to get rid of these ads!

Realistic L6 292 Power Ratings

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HB of CJ, Aug 1, 2008.

1. HB of CJ

HB of CJ

Time to do the engine swap in my 1978 Chevy Stepside as the L6 250 has really had it. What kind of power can I realistically expect from a doner L6 292 "street" replacement mill? I want to spend little $money$.

Expect the usual stuff like a slight overbore, Mercruiser cam, headers, my redone 250 head, stock bottom end, a Eldebrock (or other?) intake, a small (how big?) 4 bbl carb, and short tube headers with a cat.

I was told by friends to expect about 225 hp and around 300 torque. I think maybe a little less. Low rpm daily use street driver/cruiser. This mill may never hardly see more than 4000 rpm. Thanks. :) :) :)

2. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

I agree with your friend, can be done for very little investment. Need to read the Sissel book on the 292. hers one i built a few year ago. Used a four barrell quadrajet carb and 350 turbo ran really good..:D

Bought most of the stuff from Tom Langdon at stovebolt.com
    Theres a lot of power in removing the lump in the intake , and using a bolt inside to hold the head.

Attached Files:

3. Mine was fresh but stock except for a re-curved HEI, clifford intake and Q-jet and clifford headers....ran hard in my little 68 chevy stepside. If I had to guess, I'd say about 220 HP and 'bout 300 lb ft torque at low [I mean low] RPMs....maybe 35-3800 Rs. I could put it in overdrive and drive from Omaha to Bonneville and only have to come outta o'drive once on the "divide" just before you drop down into Salt Lake city.
    Always got 17 MPG.
    Yeah, it was several different colors while I owned it.

Attached Files:

4. the passenger side motor mount is in a different spot on the 292, it's further forward.

5. HB of CJ

HB of CJ

Thanks everyone. About what we expected. Yeah, we know about the passenger side mill mount. Thank you. Already looking for a doner complete running L6 292 out of a '78 to '80 stepvan with the earlier head.

Tranny choices at this time include an available, (also $cheap$) good shape lockup 350. Also found a good (hope) NP 540L2 5-speed out of a 2 ton truck. Big, heavy, but also $cheap$. Have 3.08 gears. (or close)

Have a granny 4-speed in the '78 stepside right now. Also kinda getting worn and loose. Will have to decide to run either a manual or an automatic. The total $cost$ will decide. Thanks again all. :) :) :)

6. Dick Dake

Dick Dake

Get a Clifford 256 cam. Better than the Mercruiser. I think Comp has a 260h for a little over $100.

7. Twisted6

Twisted6

You'll get better flow by adding a lump port kit to The head.It will greatly improve the air flow Over just removing the Boss. With a 1.94 valve the head well flow about 190. With the Lump port the can flow more then 240 CFMs

8. 1951bomber

1951bomber
    from atwater Ca

if ur going to run a four barrel the exact cfm would be 510 but they dont make that so a 500 would work just fine.