Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Real Life Experiences with ESAB Easy Grind mig wire

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fortunateson, Feb 7, 2019.

1. wackdaddy

wackdaddy

I bought a spool from KMS in Abbotsford (looks like that is in your vicinity) and loaded in my Miller 130 last fall as the installation of patch panels started on my project. I like it for 18 - 20 gauge sheet metal. As far as it being easier to grind ... not sure if that is valid. I think any .023 weld would be easier to grind than say .030 as the blob of weld is smaller leaving you less to grind away. Feeds great in my machine and does not seem to be fussy if there is a bit of crap on the surface. Just my opinion

2. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

But is the difference really noticeable? I was going to get a spool last month as it was on sale. My nephew has a friend who says it's great but how great is my question. Is it really much more malleable?

3. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

If you keep procrastinating and never buy a spool and try it for yourself, you will never know!

4. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

I'm frugal and I don't want to buy something I don't need when I've got plenty of the usual stuff. But if you would like to send me a roll feel free! LOL

5. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

You don’t need it.
    That’s not the mig wire you’re looking for, move along ;):D:D
    Besides I think you need a coil more ;):D

6. missysdad1

missysdad1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I bought a roll of ESAB Spoolarc .023 Easy Grind wire a couple of weeks ago from WeldingSupply.com and like it a lot. I have a Miller 141 and it function just fine. It is definitely easier to grind and causes far less heat to be formed during grinding. I am not a great welder so this wire has saved me a lot of time grinding, but it also seems to be easier to use in the first place making my welds better, too, so less grinding is required. I've been using it to resurrect an old hot rod so I'm not working with fresh metal. Lots of rusty, pitted and thin metal is the rule on this project and this wire seems less fussy on less-than-perfectly-clean metal. I'm sold on it for sheet metal work.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2019
    TrailerTrashToo likes this.
  7. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Most Paint suppliers for the Paint and Body shops carry it in the smaller 11lb. rolls.
    I have used it for close to 30 years without a problem.