Register now to get rid of these ads!

Real introduction finally....now with jalopy (philly)

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by brandon11130, Jan 20, 2010.

1. brandon11130

brandon11130

Whats up guys, I all ready did an introduction but I didn't have a project and have moved since then so figured what the heck.

Anyway picking up a 1956 oldsmobile 88 tomorrow. 4 door, 324 rocket, 3 speed auto, pretty clean body ( but what do I know I started out restoring willys and kaiser jeeps) Plans for now are simply to get it running and driving. Allegedly it only needs the intake manifold and some other stuff put back on....:rolleyes: On the bright side, brakes are brand new, front and back seats are mint, dash is mint, headliner is mint, body and frame are sweet, all the trim, chrome and glass is there and good (minus drivers side window with hairline crack) The guy has the original bill of sale and paperwork from the oldsmobile dealership when the first owner bought it, and its got a title!

paint is really faded and has a miss matched fender, so its going good ole matte black for now. Basically just going to be doing basic maintenance for now. Making it sit as low as possible without frame modification, and maby a side dump for funzies. Possibly chopping the top few inches over the summer :)

I live in center city Philadelphia but im doing all the work at my buddys shop in west Chester.

Any HAMB'ers in the area? especially ones with spare olds parts they want to sell? im sure ill be needing them.

heres a few of the sellers pics

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 20, 2010
  2. sawzall

sawzall

welcome

nice olds

3. Pitbullgoingpostal

Pitbullgoingpostal

Well then, welcome back, or again, or something!

4. 440shawn

440shawn

Welcome From Illinois!

5. jason65

jason65

Welcome from OK!

6. brandon11130

brandon11130

Just got it to the shop, couldn't pull my self away. Ill get some detailed pics up asap. I work all weekend so my plan is to work on it Monday through Wednesday, hopefully get it running/driving/stopping and of course scraping on every speedbump. May also do a quick coat of flat black.

Im really supprised with this car, every key works, every window opens every door closes, trunk, etc. everything is super solid, dash is 100% complete and 90% mint minus some pitting on the steering wheel shaft and 2 cracks on the wheel. Seats are original and perfect, no tears or wearing these things must of been under seat covers there whole life.

The rust is very minimal for being a NY car its whole life. I went through some of the paperwork and I think im the 4th owner. Car has 67,000 miles on the clock.
    The guy gave me the 1956 original owners manual, service chart, bill of sale from the dealership, and 1956 warranty paperwork, and a pic of the car in the 60's

Very exceitied, cant wait to get it on the road

Last edited: Jan 21, 2010
  7. brandon11130

brandon11130

Finally got a chance to wrench on the car, I had off work tues-thursday, had the coldest motorcycle ride from philly to westchester. I put about 20+ hours into the car and managed to get all 6 boxes of parts onto the car. Got her running, driving, stopping and all that good stuff. Wired up all the lights and blinkers,Even had time to throw a quick coat of flat black on her.

I got the motor running pretty well. I can rev the piss out of it in neutral but once its in drive it wont go past 20 mph without sputtering, throwing off a few backfires and running out of steam. The PO said he set the points, set the dwel and timing but im not sure how well he did.

Everything else is new, cap, resistors, coil, fuel pump, fuel lines, carb, plugs, wires, etc. Drained the old gas out of the tank and put fresh gas in. Im assuming the timing is whats screwing with it.

I left it at my buddys shop so he can set the dwel and timing on monday, hopefully then i can get back down to WC. Next trip im planning to weld up some kind of exhaust. patch the 2 holes in the floor, get her inspected and drive her home.