Register now to get rid of these ads!

real hot rod question.....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CTFuzz, Sep 13, 2003.

1. what do i need to do to put early(1947) heads on a late(1950) motor?? i realy like the looks of the early head, i was told i need to plug a passage in the block but i don't know what one.........do i need to say it is a flat head ford?

CT.

2. come on, some one has to know.............

3. drgnwgn289

drgnwgn289

I don't know a whole bunch about flat heads, but I don't think you have to do much of anything....I think the biggest difference what the location of the water neck...I'm not for sure though.

4. HotRodJosh

HotRodJosh

There is one water passage in the block you have to plug. I believe that it is on the front of the passenger side deck. Thats the only thing Im aware of.

5. shoebox72

shoebox72

Put the early head on the passenger side of the engine, You'll see that the front water passage hole is slightly exposed. Tap the hole with a 1/8 in pipe tap and put in a brass pipe plug. The same hole on the drivers side must be plugged,1/4 in. pipe plug. and the corresponding hole in the drivers side head.

Hope this helps, Billy

6. Jimv

Jimv

hey CT theres a guy over here in Central falls on cross st, i believe his name is Oakley or Oatley & hes a flathead guru.
    He suppositly has everything you need for flatties in his shop.
    Theres also another guy on west St in Attleboro which isn't that far & he sells flathead parts.He would know.See if BUICKS38 gets on or E-mail him & he could tell ya more about the guy in attleboro
    JimV

7. k9racer

k9racer

The head part is taken care of now for the distributor. Remove cover that holds dist then drill 2 holes at approx 1 oclock about 1 inch from top of base and then about 1 inch lower drill at 3 oclock then weld 3/8 16 nuts over the holes then add bolts and that will hold the distributor in place good luck.

8. thanks guys...........i'm gonna get on it now
    thanks for that info on the local guys JimV

CT.