Register now to get rid of these ads!

Real gasser race car, Injected Olds, 50 year old paint. Willys

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BCR, Jul 22, 2011.

1. BCR

BCR

A few days ago I was sweating out the details on a custom grill for a 40 Chevy when I saw a couple of suspicious looking characters peering into my showroom at a freshly painted two tone blue 57 Ford Convert.

I opened the front door said "What's going on today guys?"

The onery looking one intoduced himself as Jack Warren on his way back to California and said they spied the 57 when they were looking for the Walter P Chrysler Museum.

It was 5:30 and the museum had closed for the day so I invited them in out of the sun.

Andy Supple finished his cig and joined us for a two hour bull session. Yep, thats right two hours of shooting the breeze in a 95 degree shop, looking at projects, speed parts, pictures, not to mention bench racing. (Damn my stuff I use to have was fast!! Gains about 3 tenths a year near as I can tell.:D)

Oh, speaking of pics, I shot some (in the trailer) cell phone pics of the bad ass original gasser... Iron Mistress

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Don't know why these two pics are small?

The gate that flips over for the shifter is cool.
    [​IMG]

A pic of the Cali boys themselves. I think they will have a little trans fluid on the shop floor when they get home.
    [​IMG]

I knew that Poverty Flats thread would make me famous! :cool:

Basically the shop is now a travel destination.:rolleyes:

Last edited: Jul 22, 2011
  2. BCR

BCR

My pics didn't do the car justice. Here is one I pulled off of the net.

[​IMG]

3. damn cool lookin willys:cool:

4. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

5. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

ha ha---very cool

6. Hotdoggin DaddyO

Hotdoggin DaddyO
    from Hays, Ks

Damn Keller, that's awesome. Did ya make him an offer? Friday's drags are comin' up quick and it sounds like Poverty's gunnin' for ya. HA

7. BCR

BCR

I ain't makin the kind of money something like that would cost!!

Basically this is the race of the century. Alot at stake, but I think I should have him covered by a length! Ha Ha

8. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

I'm not talking.....;)

9. Mike, old povertys got a secret weapon alright. I cant disclose it at this time. I have also heard rumors that "Toad" might be starting you guys with his flashlight,:eek: All I know is that I heard Poverty say"When this thing hits 88mph , some serious shits gonna happen!" On a side note, Im taken side bets that the wheelstander wont make it to 88 mph!!!;)

10. Oh crap Mike, I forgot to mention how cool it was to have the Willys at your place!!! You are like a rock star now that youve been in a Povertyflats thread! Be advised the IRS will be coming to see you soon!

11. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

Mike was already a rock star-----he builds some nice stuff

12. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

only in your wife's dreams.

Love that Willys, Mike. See you in Salina

13. BCR

BCR

I have made my final adjustments on the rocket sled! It is ready for the race of the century, I think.

If Toad really started me I would never be the same!

Looking forward to seeing all you guys in Salina!

Jack told me that they spent quite a few hours rubbing out the 50 year old paint. It is beautiful. The injected Olds motor is cool as hell. They blew the trans at the Gasser Nationals. It is really neat to see this old war horse out doing what it was built to do.

14. now here is your new avatar! .......... ohya add smily:D

15. I met Jack at Summit Motorsport Park in Norwalk, Ohio last year. He hauled in from Cali for the Gasser Nationals. I hung out with him for awhile each day. Great fellow! Got to enjoy the first run down the strip in too many years. He was so jazzed, he could hardly contain himself. I was hopping to see him this year at La Rue, Ohio, but opted to go to Dragway 42 instead. That paint job is outstanding for a 50 year old job. That old clear is checked in places,but buffed out great. The key to that old clear was heavy mixing of lacquer thinner. I believe my buddy used only 40% clear. The rest thinner. I saw my old Comet that we painted in 1969. The clear over white was still clear with no yellowing. But Jacks gasser is true time capsule from drag racing past! Aaron Dupont

16. BCR

BCR

The phone rang the other day, it was the boys from Cali callin to say hi. Nice visit on the phone. Sounds like the car is ready for some more action.

Time to let that injected Olds eat some lunch!!

Do any of you guys have some video of the car on the strip?

17. Mike... ask them if they ran it at Pamona... I know a camera guy there and he might have footage if you can find out the dates!:cool: