Register now to get rid of these ads!

real Cool new windshields

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by NONAME, Apr 20, 2012.

1. Not traditional (and not American) I haven't seen one yet. just got word yesterday that they (China) are making smoke grey curved windshields for early American cars. the backglass has been available for years in laminated grey. light and dark. + clear and green tint.
    most common and as dark as I like to install is 44% (lets 44% of the light in) vans and suv's from the drivers shoulder back can be as dark as 9%.

these new windshields are 73% with a darker shaded band available. just one more thing that has lacked.

I'm just sorry that all our manufacturing is going out of the country. I've fought it as long as I could but it just isn't coming back.

I'm going to order a couple just to see what they look like. I haven't had any problem with fit and finish. I just want to check the color.

I'm doing a 60 pontiac that is going to Sweden in grey glass including the back glass. wish I had found this smoked windshield sooner.

Please don't turn this into a political bash. we were sold out 30 years ago and it's a little late to reverse the trend.:(

2. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

there has been talk here of use of windshields, etc from China and have been positive with the quality of them. yep, sad to have this happening but, at least someone is making them. please post more info and pics when you get the ones you will be ordering. also, let others know what is available and how to order them too

3. I'll be watching this thread for more updates

4. gasolinescream

gasolinescream

Yep i'll be watching this aswell. An automotive glazier by trade and my experience with Chinese glass wasn't so good. The last company i worked for (not int UK) started using import glass as it was dirt cheap and made huge profits fitting this stuff passing it off as OE to the insurance companies. Mainly OT stuff but sticking one of these glasses into a car made it stand out against the rest. Mainly through distortion, sometimes tint and side glasses were the worst aswell as being out of shape. It was normal to have to adjust the whole door mechanism etc and fight to get them to fit and work well. Sounds as though your experience has been better, maybe they've improved things 5 years on. Still check for distortion though.

Good luck and keep us posted:cool:

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm not a fan of the smoke or bronze tints but if they are making windshields for older cars that you just flat can't find windshields for that would seem to be a good thing.

6. most of the odd old glass that I've been buying for the last 25-30 years has been from Argentina and piss poor quality
    PPG was always a favorite for replacement glass. has now changed their name to PGW and it's all chinese. we have sent all our best technology to those commie bastards and there is a mix of crap and good products coming back. most of the old stuff has been decent or better than what I could buy 10 years ago. and they are just blowing the doors off the pricing.
    all after market repops foreign and domestic have flaws. when I have a problem with a company I don't go back unless they are the only game in town. there are alot of big name US companies that are switching to chinese (and other countries) and I'll try to stay with them till I run into a problem then they go on my "SHIT LIST"

7. Weasel

Weasel

Check your state laws on tinted windshields and permissible before buying....

8. At 73% it's 50 state legal, color makes no difference nissan has offered bronze and grey windshields for over 20 years, but these are the first of the oldies