Register now to get rid of these ads!

Read this!!!!!!!!!!!!! Safety warning

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by The37Kid, Jul 25, 2009.

1. DirtyThirty

DirtyThirty
    from nowhere...

Not according to what I've been reading...different chemical it says, but, either way, it SUCKS!

It says Hydrohloric acid is used as a chlorinating agent, or it can be Thionyl chloride, OR phosgene. But Mustard gas is a compound, it seems, that is formed either with its utilization, or, can be synthesized without it...

Perhaps a Chemist on here can chime in???
    It actually paints phosgene as even MORE more poisonous...
    I guess without the skin burns, however...

Last edited: Jul 27, 2009
  2. Lightning

Lightning
    from N. Nevada

3. Chuckles Garage

Chuckles Garage
    Alliance Vendor

I cant count how many times I have burned brake cleaner. wow. never again.

4. BillBallingerSr

BillBallingerSr
    from In Hell

Btt, and if you frequent any other forums, post a link. I emailed Brew and thanked him and asked if he would keep the article up as long as possible.

My only regret is I didn't know this before.

5. abc123

abc123

6. Mark H

Mark H
    from Scotland

7. Thanks OSHA, nice job![​IMG] That crap (chlorinated) should have been taken off the market years ago. And where the hell is "Homeland Security" on this as a terrorist weapon? Beurorats everywhere...FDA go get them Cheerios! [​IMG]

8. The37Kid

The37Kid

Bumping this up top again.

9. noboD

noboD

10. Chebby belair

Chebby belair
    from Australia

I'm throwing my can's out tonight. Serious shit right here. Thanks for the HU.

11. DirtyThirty

DirtyThirty
    from nowhere...

This should get a tri-monthly bump...this and the "mothballs in your tank" thread...Wherever that one went...

12. barqsnut

barqsnut
    from Pearl, MS

For those of us who grew up doing what we wanted to, how we wanted to, when we wanted to, it's a whole new world and it can kill our formerly indestructable asses in a heartbeat. It's now the time in life to be a puss and read the directions and instructions-Oh, and follow them...

13. noboD

noboD

another bump.

14. Do you want them to wipe your butt also?
    The EPA gets it from both sides, tree huggers wanting to eliminate everything except water and air, and industrialists who need an effective cleaning product. Find us an aqueous cleaner THAT WORKS and I'm sure the mechanics of the world will give you a hearty pat on the back and all the business you can handle.

So, what's the solution, certification like they do for HVAC before you can purchase certain chemicals?
    A purchase registry so we know who has this stuff?

You can get similar results by using everyday products under your sink.

15. BillBallingerSr

BillBallingerSr
    from In Hell

I'll still use brake cleaner, but differently and much more carefully. It is still the most effective crud cutter there is, but for any arc/electric, or welding its rubbing alcohol for me. Its ironic, before I read this warning I was cleaning a 40 yr old voltage regulator on the car. I filed the points, set the air gap to the rheostat and the voltage limit down on the upper where I wanted it. The finishing touch? A little squirt of brake cleaner on the contacts to make sure there were no filings. Guess what? The lower contact arced and I got the white puff of smoke, I must have been breathing right because I barely got any. It still made me sick though. All my dumb ass needed to do was disconnect the battery cable.

I feel like an idiot. Oh and one guy was telling me he was hauling off an old refrigerator with a front loader and one of the lines broke and the freon ran through the engine and got him and two helpers running and choking. Be careful with that stuff.

But for cleaning, its still the best for cutting grime.

16. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

Problem is that there are too many warning labels and the serious ones are considered a joke like the rest

Dr Pepper bottles have a warning that the cap may hurt you if you dont open pointing away from yourself!! - after reading stuff like that it kinda dulls most labels

17. roddinron

roddinron

Well said, there's too many people sticking there noses into my life now, put a warning on it, get the word out, and let me decide. to paraphrase,
    "When brake cleaner is outlawed, only criminals will have brake cleaner."

18. DirtyThirty

DirtyThirty
    from nowhere...

Hey man...D.P. packs some pressure, too...don't underestimate it!
    Its the Fizziest of the pops!:rolleyes::D

19. BillBallingerSr

BillBallingerSr
    from In Hell

There are so many ludicus warnings on things, I think it minimizes the effectiveness of the warning. Like Brew said, you figure you buy it at the parts house its reasonably safe right? I can't even see the writing on the can much less heed it. But getting the word out on forums like this is the best way because it get to the people most likely to get in trouble with it.

If the government gets in it, they wallow things around until it makes no sense. They don't have a good track record for me. Getting info from fellow enthusists is a lot more effective.

20. sloorider

sloorider

Its called brake cleaner for a reason and if used as directed safe.If one does not read the labelthen they are their own worst enemy.If one is going to conduct himself like a goof then yup, the government is going to try to legislate your ass cause apparently ya can't wipe it yourself...enough said

21. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

no one is saying make more laws except make the warning on stuff that has a good chance of killing you bigger, someone bring back the skull and crossbones please. it's very easy to clean parts with this,think it's evaporated, and end up sick or dead, look at the original story, he wasn't using it in an unreasonable way, it's not like he was burning it and huffing it, he seems like an intelligent man,he simply was using the product in a way many of us have, and he's screwed up for life. there are alternatives to clorinated solvents, they've been gradually been used less and less, but 90 percent of people don't know they can kill you that easy. this is one instance where mandated better warning labels might save someones life.

22. Stevie G...I said CHLORINATED in my post. I agree with you about the lack of good solvents these days but a lot of that has to do with lawyers. They have made "reading the label" so long winded that we don't pay much attention anymore. I mean Cessna Aircraft actually sent a sticker out to us owners stating that it was mandatory that it be posted on the instrument panel. It states "RUNNING OUT OF FUEL IN THIS AIRCRAFT CAN CAUSE INJURY OR DEATH". We can't do away with OSHA, the FDA or EPA (which I never mentioned in my post) so my point was that if these agencies exist they should be doing better jobs. There's no telling how many folks who suffer, will suffer or possibly die from the CHLORINATED version of brake cleaner because they haven't yet banned it.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2009
  23. shake

shake
    from central az

37 kid- Thanks for this very important heads-up. I am passing this on to everyone I know.

Some plastics, when burned, also give off phosgene.

24. George

George

Bump. Was looking @ brake cleaner in the store today. On the front in easy to read letters "non flammable", then you look @ the warning on the back about Chlorine or possibly Phosgene gas if it burns. WTF!:eek::mad:

25. oldrodslive

oldrodslive

Scary shit. I'm going to be passing this around to my brother @ Audi/Porsche, make sure the techs all watch what they are doing. Too bad for Brew. He makes some really nice chromoly BMX frames. Cool guy to boot. A couple of my friends still race for him. Going to have to see if they have heard about this yet.
    -Mike

26. The37Kid

The37Kid

Thank you and welcome to the HAMB. Glad to see this thread bumped back on top for new arrivals to read, and maybe a few old timers who missed it earlier. We all need to play safe.:)

27. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

I think they worded that bad, what i think they meant is if it's exposed to flame, it won't burn but it will break down chemically, and one of thse byproducts is phogene gas, the way it's worded on a can i have, warning!! in the presence of flame this product breaks down into chemicals that can be deadly

28. Thanks for that info, hope all is well.

29. weldtoride

weldtoride

Remember, too, that TIG arc temperature ranges from 5,000 degrees on up to over 30,000 depending on your reference source, so "non-flammable" really is a relative term, lots of "non-flammable" materials do burn at those temps. This story has been making some of the metalworking forums, as it should. A follow up posting to this story I saw on a metalworking forum indicated the intense UV arc light also can contribute to the chemical reactions with chlorinated solvents.

This definitely changes my MO around the shop and I have forwarded it to many. I cringe as I have been guilty of the same practices that nearly killed this guy.

30. 52style

52style