Register now to get rid of these ads!

Re-wiring Guide 682-C lights

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Probesport, Apr 12, 2012.

1. Here is a quick pictoral that I shot while re-wiring my Guide 682-C's. I will be using the turn/park light kit from thehotrodcompany.com which has not arrived yet so that part is not pictured but provisions are made.

I jumped around a bit while making these with the pics so the wire color may change throughout but the instructions are the same.

Parts used:
    Park/turn light kit
    Wire
    Asphalt loom
    Crimp ferrule
    Ring terminal
    Heatshrink

Tools:
    Vice (or big crimping tool)
    Soldering Iron
    Wire stripper
    Pick

The old harness
    [​IMG]

Pry out the clips holding the connector in the harness
    [​IMG]

Slightly push in the tabs on the connector from the top
    [​IMG]

Remove old wire and clip, open up the crimp slightly to remove the old wire.
    [​IMG]

Re-crimp then solder new wire onto old terminal
    [​IMG]

Use fingernail, pick or anything slim (i used a razor blade) to gently pry out the little tabs on the connector, this is what holds it into the socket. Note, the ground wire will go to the ring terminal and ground to the bucket)
    [​IMG]

Put the clip back on that you removed in the first step and insert completed tab into the harness and repeat for each connector.
    [​IMG]

Put your wires through the asphalt loom
    [​IMG]

Add the ferrule to the loom and crimp with vice (or large crimping tool)
    [​IMG]

Completed harness, note the ground wire with ring terminal added.
    [​IMG]

And finally, installed in the headlight bucket
    [​IMG]

Last thing is to heatshrink the loom to the wires
    [​IMG]

And for aesthetics, I remove the printed lettering from the heatshrink with a bit of acetone on a cloth.
    [​IMG]

Additional info:
    The old harness was 3 wires, the new one is 4 to accommodate the new park/turn lamps. There are 2 wires that are not terminated at this point, they will be soldered and heatshrinked once those parts arrive.

In short, we went from this...
    [​IMG]

....to this
    [​IMG]

2. Completed headlights
    [​IMG]

I will post up the headlight switch and dimmer wiring soon, I plan to start that wiring tonight.

Kiwi 4d likes this.
  3. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Nice tech article with nice pictures that go with the instructions. It's a lot more satisfying than 40 bucks for some repro harnesses.

4. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

Good article. I don't think I would depend on the bucket for a good ground. I would also bring an additional ground to the chassis or fenders. Might also add a 5th wire for turn signals that are independent of parking lights. I did this a few years back and got the parts from y to z in Socal.

5. I thought the same but then realized I welded the headlight stands to the frame so the buckets are literally sitting on the frame.

6. MaudieHilli

MaudieHilli
    from london

It's a lot more satisfying than 40 bucks for some repro harnesses. <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

7. brady1929

brady1929

this will come in handy for me. thanks

8. Agree, plus you can make them any length you want, I will be running straight to the dash with these wires. No junctions or breaks.

9. Airborne34

Airborne34
    from Texas

Great thread. Im rebuilding my 682-C as well. Where did you get the cloth covered wiring?

10. I got mine from Snyders if i remember correctly, but I have bought from a few different suppliers over the years.