Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Re: My first attempt at a Gasser- Part 2

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by stickerdick, May 29, 2014.

1. stickerdick

stickerdick

The headers are done and we got the hood cut for IMG_5114.jpg the tunnel ram and scoop

2. stickerdick

stickerdick

Here is the whole clip back on in mockup form. IMG_2570.jpg

lawman likes this.
  3. stickerdick

stickerdick

Got the one side of the exhaust finished with the electric sutout and the tip that will extend past the fender and point the flames down to the asphalt

Attached Files:

4. 69fury

69fury

looks good- are you going to paint the cut-out/tip to make it look like it's just one big collector? I like that you turned it away from view-rick

5. loudbang

loudbang

A little easier to see like this.

imagejpeg_0 (600x800).jpg imagejpeg_1 (600x800).jpg imagejpeg_2 (600x800).jpg

6. stickerdick

stickerdick

I'm going to have the whole header and extension ceramic coated silver, it will all match. Trying to stick to my rendering theme as close as I can, with my budget and all.

7. stickerdick

stickerdick

We got the front valance cut and the mounting brackets in place for the moon tank, I think it came out really well. IMG_0756.jpg IMG_0757.jpg IMG_0758.jpg

8. stickerdick

stickerdick

We got the shocks straightened shock2.jpg shock repositioned.jpg up, now they are at 15 degrees

9. stickerdick

stickerdick

Getting the tunnel Ram all buttoned up, got the valve covers back from powder coaters and ended up have to go to the small size MSD distributor so it would work with the tunnel ram. It will be next week before the drivers side header gets finished, but hopefully we will have the car running by next Friday... I hope.

10. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

Nice looking gasser and the Florida license plate looks cool.

Did the car come from Florida?

Jimbo

11. stickerdick

stickerdick

Out of Daytona, It seems like it was in that area for a few years, don't know if it was always a Florida car or not. The rust was not that bad, so I would think it is not an original Florida car.

12. stickerdick

stickerdick

Well, the changing of the front clip has bit me in the behind again, I guess with the new radiator support and the style radiator I'm using, the new larger fan will not clear between the radiator and the water pump, so now I am going to have to run an electric water pump, new pulleys and its just another fun fact of HotRodding, YEA!!

13. powrshftr

powrshftr

Just cut the core support so you can mount the rad farther forward,then you won't have to get all that electric crap.I never trust that stuff....An engine driven fan and water pump are guaranteed to be turning as long as the motor is running.
    I've had a couple less than reliable electrical components over the years,so Im a bit jaded,and leery of trusting aftermarket fans and pumps and such.

Scott

Posted using two Dixie cups and a medium length piece of string.

14. 69fury

69fury

Hey maybe you can confirm something for me. Did your bird have VINs under the fender tops where they bolt to the inner fender well? My 61 had the firewall to fender braces chopped out about 30 year ago rick

15. stickerdick

stickerdick

I have not noticed, but I will be glad to look and let you know about that on the VIN numbers. As far as the electrical water pump, I've already gotten it from Summit and we're installing it on Wednesday, I've got to have this bugger running by the middle of next week for a show I'm involved with and I am under the gun now. I was wanting the car painted and finished, now I'll just be glad if I can get it on the trailer and back off.

16. stickerdick

stickerdick

Well, we got the electric water pump on, but it was no shorter than the mechanical pump in the long run, so I am sending it back and we got the Moroso water pump, it is nice and tight to the block and it is all cast aluminum, so it will look nicer and cleaner, just cost twice what the electric pump from Summit cost, but it is probaley a better pump over all. I'll post pictures on Thursday evening of the finished headers and hopefully of the water pump installed.

17. stickerdick

stickerdick

Well..... We still are having issues with the pump and pulleys now, the headers are not done yet either butthey are allot closer, should be done on Friday, I hope! I'll update after Friday evening.

18. stickerdick

stickerdick

Here are some pics of the progress, or lack there of, of the headers and the new pulleys and pulleys and water pump. The pulleys are from CVF and I like they way they fit and look, hope they work, so far in mock-up, they work great.

On the question about a vin number on my fenders or under the tops of the fenders, don't see any tthing like that there.

Attached Files:

19. stickerdick

stickerdick

Here's another header being built pic

Attached Files:

20. 69fury

69fury

Ok, thanks for checking- might be the difference in years. another guy with the fenders off his 61 wagon said there's vins on both upper attachment flanges of the inner fenderwells just ahead of the hinges. i'm really hoping mine are there too.-rick

21. powrshftr

powrshftr

69 Fury:
    There should be one on the top of the inner fender apron on the driver's side that is visible just forward of the centerline of the wheel when you open the hood,and one just behind the centerline of the wheel on the opposite side that is hidden unless you pull the fender off.
    At least that's the way the 64/65/66 Mustangs were...

Scott

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

22. stickerdick

stickerdick

Had to do some more fiddiling to get the new CVF Brackets and pulleys to work, but I think the overall layout is good, we will have to get back with CVF about another alternator pulley, but It might be because it is not an older style ford alternator? fan, rad and pulleys.jpg front view of new pulleys.jpg

23. stickerdick

stickerdick

Today was one of those days where if something could go wrong it did. The water pump did not seal up right, the brake lines did not fit right, the fuel pump did not work, the headers did get finished and we have just put some paint on them to try and keep the rust to a minimum until we get past this weekend's show. I hope we will ber able to get the car running in the morning, I will do my best to get some pics and video, keeping my fingers crossed, but between this trying to get done and the weather forecast for this weekend, I'm not really having a great week!

24. stickerdick

stickerdick

Well, we still don't have the bird running, but I put some temporary graphics on her just to see what something might look like and we still have Friday to get the ol girl running. Just have to see. first decals.jpg

25. stickerdick

stickerdick

Well, the car did not make the show. It was not running and it had no brakes, so I just was not going to deal with trying to unload it off a trailer in a group of kids, old people and looky-lous who would not know how to move away from a getaway car, so I guess I'll just have to wait till next year to show off the bird!

26. stickerdick

stickerdick

Well, I have the car at home now, got to get the brakes hooked up and then start the motor then we can finish the exhaust work going and then decide were to go for paint. rolling front view.jpg rolling driver.jpg

rebarsfords likes this.
  27. stickerdick

stickerdick

Tried to start the car today, water pump is leaking like as sieve, guess the electric pump is not going to be the answer. Does anybody have any experiance with 289 fords , is there a special something I have to order to use the short manual pump from ford? The carbs are leaking too, but I figured that would happen when my "rebuilt" tunnel ram package from ebay was without gaskets right from thre start, so I'll rebuild the carbs, but the water pump has me really screwed-up right now.

28. Leaks SUCK!!! Real seal and try again. LOOKS AWSOME, Love the car. Mikey

29. powrshftr

powrshftr

289's like to leak around that damn timing cover.

Pull the pump,get fresh gaskets (the thickest ones you can find.Those generic rebuilder kits usually come with paper thin junk gaskets.)

Once the pump is off make sure that you have both the back of the pump,and the front of the timing cover ABSOLUTELY clean,and free of any rtv,gasket material,or othe crap that may hinder your seal.
    A little attention with a flat file (gently) to clean and level out the face of the timing cover will sometimes do a world if good,but don't go crazy,and keep moving around so you don't create a low spot.
    As a last resort you may need to use a bit of rtv,but I really try to stay away from the stuff,as people tend to go overboard with it,and it can really wreck your day when it ends up in your cooling system creating a blockage.

As far as I know Ford doesn't have a long pump and a short pump like Chevy did.

Hope some of this is helpful...

Scott

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

30. OldColt

OldColt

I had leaking problems around the front timing cover area back in my small block Ford days also. A friend suggested using Indian Head sealer in the little copper colored bottle. Scraped every thing real clean, and the Indian Head stuff sealed everything up nicely. I have kept a bottle of that stuff handy ever since for difficult to seal areas.

Neat little Falcon Gasser you got coming together Stickerdick. Can't wait to hear that little 289 wind up, they always sound sweet with tube headers and a long duration cam.

--- Steve ---

Last edited: Sep 21, 2014