Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects BACK AT IT FINALLY!! RE-BUILD OF AN EARLY CHEVY COUPE WITH A HEMI

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 31chevymike, Nov 13, 2017.

1. Ain't that the truth.........:)/:(

2. 31chevymike

31chevymike

Hey Guys - I'm at the point in my chassis restoration of removing almost all of the surface rust down to bare steel. Most of the rust that does remain is very minor, looking like it's in the pores of the steel, which I'm sure can be completely removed using a chemical rust remover.

Now, I have a few areas where the frame rails have dents, more so in the upper and lower C channels. Since I have not done any chassis repairs before, I need some advice and guidance. I need a particular frame dolly or other items that can be used for these purposes. Something like this came to mind:
    Mo-Block Dolly for Frame Rail .jpg

loudbang likes this.
  3. 31chevymike

31chevymike

Put a few hours in the garage to tackle another "GREAZY" job - cleaning the bottom of the body, which had 22 years of oil and grime that needed to get done. I purchased a new complete wood floor kit way back in '96, staining it and protecting it with Thompson's Water Seal. Before I started, you couldn't see any grain in the wood, showing black like my POR-15 painted custom floor pans. Gave a guy my originals and he reproduced them in thicker steel. They did not have repro floor pans for early Chevies back then. They do now. The second photo had POR-15 on them and conveniently peeled off to reveal the metal with NO RUST - the paint did it's job after so many years! 20180113_145927.jpg 20180113_150046.jpg 20180113_150118.jpg 20180113_150153.jpg

The photos aren't my best, being on a creeper to take them. They'll do. The other task I had to do was clean up my air compressor, tool box and work bench that was covered in paint dust from about 3 months of constantly stripping paint in there. Should have thought about covering the rear that's standing by on my work bench, oh well... Stay tuned!

4. 31chevymike

31chevymike

Just recently started to strip the '32 Ford Commercial grille - it's almost down to bare steel. Does anyone know if I can purchase a radiator mounting kit for this grille shell to hold my new (at the time) '32 Ford radiator?

In the meantime, my brother bought me a new pair of '32 Ford front frame horns that are coming shortly (a GREAT birthday present!). Can't wait to size them up and hoping that the height of them toward the cross member will allow me to cut off my originals with the old cross member remains inside of them. My originals are hurtin', showing a pathetic repair at some point before I owned it... 20180117_144730.jpg 1932-ford-front-frame-horns.jpg

5. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

You can go to Home Depot and get a gallon of phosphoric acid. It's called Etching something now, I'll have to check when I get back to the garage. Anyway, I mix it 50/50 with water and use a heavy duty spray bottle, rubber gloves, and a mask, bought them all there, spray the rusted areas and leave the garage. Next day I wire brush it off and spray it with Rustoleum etching primer. I'll get the name of it and post it later.

loudbang and 31chevymike like this.
  6. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

Prep and Etch. around $15.00 a gallon, last forever.

7. 31chevymike

31chevymike

Some great info Mike - appreciate this a lot - my original chassis is solid as hell, but very old so the rust in the pores of some areas of the frame has got to be normal. Don't want to keep grinding the pores out and thinning the frame rails. Gotta get rid of every spec of rust when the time comes to prep the frame for Tangerine Pearl paint.

Imagine this Tangerine Pearl frame with belled speed holes throughout, featuring an all-chromed dropped and drilled Ford axle with polished hairpins, mostly all chromed rear suspension kit including the ladder bars to hold a Tangerine tubed Winters QCR with a fully polished center section, an all chromed Vega steering box with polished stainless steel steering shafts with polished SS u-joints. And finally, a Candy Orange Prisma metal flaked 392 hemi with dual quads and eventually the 6-71 supercharger within the Chevy rails... Are you seeing the picture like I am, just oozing with nostalgia - partially drooling as I type this post?

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
  8. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

Sounds real good, an old guy that had built cars for years told me about that. I was doing an old chevy truck, cab had been sand blasted and then left in a barn for several years. It will neutralize rust and turn it black.

9. 31chevymike

31chevymike

Hey it's these important small details that prevent any rust from coming back up through Tangerine paint. Thanks again Mike!

Sent from my SM-G955U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  10. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

Glad I could help.

11. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Nothing will be able to touch the 394 when finished, it will DeSTroyer you!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

13. 31chevymike

31chevymike

I agree Mike, a bit of instigating going on here....
    First Drag Race Time Slip!.jpg

Runnin shine and loudbang like this.
  14. loudbang

loudbang

Beginning to sound like the old metldown thread in here :rolleyes:

enloe, 31chevymike and Runnin shine like this.
  15. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Mike you keep saying Tangerine I'm hungry for an orange now...:D

16. 31chevymike

31chevymike

It is isn't it? Is that time slip embarrassing or what? My original 283 Chevy that was installed when the car became a hot rod in the late sixties had let go on me while cruising to a cruise night. Tore it down and discovered one of the rods was NOT checked for hairline cracks and finally let go, damaging the cylinder wall skirt too much to have re-sleeved. Broke my heart... So I bought this pathetic 305 Chevy for $200 and took off the intake to discover all of the push rods were cemented in with caked oil from NEVER changing it obviously. After three days at chipping away at it, everything was starting to move normally.

I took the rod over to a Super Chevy event shortly afterwards at our local dragstrip, Palm Beach International Raceway, formerly Moroso Motorsports Park for my first experience on the dragstrip. Keep your laughing to a minimum please, that 305 was a dog with fleas, putting out no power and a pathetic time slip.
    Me too...

loudbang and Stogy like this.
  17. loudbang

loudbang

No NOT that time slip :) Just the back and forth between guys and challenges being made. :rolleyes:

18. 31chevymike

31chevymike

It's called motivation loudbang to keep our builds going forward to completion. Gotta admit, there are some neat builds going on here...

loudbang likes this.
  19. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

My banter was just for humor and hype. I generally only follow the cool threads that are most interesting IMO. Even those might benefit from more scuttlebutt. I certainly never intentionally speak out to cause harm.
    Mamma didn’t raise no low-grade man.

Ps the Tangerine Hemi rocks and so does this build!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

20. 31chevymike

31chevymike

I knew that Runnin shine and appreciate every post from any member on our site. Glad you like my build, knowing I'm not your average experienced member. Only way to learn is just DO IT!

PBRmeASAP, loudbang and Runnin shine like this.
  21. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey @31chevymike Mike I had my orange now what's up...:D

By the way is the Orange Crate tangerine? When I think of Traditional Orange thats pretty up there...;)

Rock on HemiChevy...

22. 31chevymike

31chevymike

That's a good question Stogy, I've only seen the Orange Crate mostly in magazines and it's difficult to tell of the true color. LOVE that hot rod too!

23. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Heres what I gleaned today from you guessed it the Hamb...

Quoted from the thread..."When the metal was deemed worthy to paint, Von's covered the panels in Naples Orange (minus the peel), and thusly, the tart, tangy Orange Crate was officially born."

So no Tangerine just Tart n Tangy...

Quite a history lesson that one...it has done the quarter mile and then some.

Anyhow Mike back to your Woodsy Hotrod expedition...thanks for sharing...;)...and I need another orange

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/orange-crate-special.793418/

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
    31chevymike and loudbang like this.
  25. loudbang

loudbang

No disrespect intended I Know it's all in good FUN just like the guys in the meltdown thread where the cross talk makes for good fun and reading. :)

26. 31chevymike

31chevymike

27. 31chevymike

31chevymike

Well the only difference with the Meltdown thread is that the cross talk was real because they actually DID race for real... We're just day dreaming about our chances... Who knows - soon enough!

28. 31chevymike

31chevymike

Went in the garage to remove the dashboard and start stripping the existing wiring and my gauges to expose the dashboard to completely strip the paint as well.

That component box was designed by a buddy, Lou Garcia and featured LED lights under each fuse to light up when I had a blown fuse. Very helpful and the box lasted for years with no trouble.

Those gauges are original Stewart Warner and have been in my rod since the late 60's. Cannot complain about quality and endurance huh?

20180128_184702.jpg 20180128_182036.jpg 20180128_182014.jpg

29. Love that dash!

31chevymike likes this.
  30. 31chevymike

31chevymike

Thanks Mike, speaking of which, could you send me a photo of your dash in your '34 Chevy pickup? I've never seen one before.