Register now to get rid of these ads!

rb's front frame clip for 59 chevy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 59chev, Jul 21, 2006.

1. What is your guys opinion/ experiences with the RB's obsolete front frame clip? See attached Link

http://www.rbsauto.com/product.asp?Product_Id=173049&d_Id=17224&l1=17224&l2=

I am considering this kit for my 59 chevy pickup. The install looks pretty straight forward: Cut off your frame ahead of the rear spring mount holes, use these holes to locate the clip, weld it up and bolt on all front end components from a 78-88 GM A or G body car.

On a related note does anyone have a list of all 78-88 GM A and G body cars? I've done some searching and have come up with few good results.

Thanks,
    59chev

2. squirrel

squirrel

it always looked like a lot of money to me....

The cars you want are the midsize rear wheel drive, Monte Carlo, Malibu, Regal, Gran Prix, Cutlass, and a couple more that I can't remember....century? grand am?

There were some changes in rotors and wheel bearings and such over the years, but I think if you get the complete setup from one car it doesn't matter. Also some had the wimpy compact 605 steering gear, others had the heavy high quality 800 series.

3. houtex63

houtex63
    from houston

4. squirrel

squirrel

that thread also deals with the width issue...on the 55-59 chevy trucks, the Camaro/Nova/Chevelle/A/G body clips all have about the right track width, they're not too wide like they would be in the 49-54 cars and trucks.

5. T McG

T McG
    from Phoenix

The RBs clip is well built and very easy to install. Bumper mounting points, motor mounts, and radiator mount are already there too. Try to stay away from the 78 donor cars. That was during GMs transition to metric parts, and they are all over the board for mixed up parts. The cost of the clip seems expensive up front, but you will be very happy with the installation time saved over any other swap. If you decide to go this route, call and talk to BJ,(long time HAMB lurker), he will be the most helpfull of all they guys there, and he has a clip in his F-100.