Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Rattling 1928 Ford Model A Doors

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 28TudorAZ, Feb 11, 2018.

1. 28TudorAZ

28TudorAZ

I want to get the doors to stop rattling and get them sealed. Any suggestions or steps? Anyone make a kit? I put rubber in between but they do not seem to sealed. After shaking the door handles themselves I think they might be part of the issue.

2. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

There should be a little cushion between the door handle rod and the door...

3. are the door latches adjusted properly? do you have the dovetails installed? how about the upper and lower rubber bumpers? is the windlace installed? my `28 Tudor has no squeaks or rattles after 22 years on the road

4. alchemy

alchemy

Rubber lip under the upper tin on the body, bumper on the bottom corner of the door, and upholstery windlace all around. Not much more than that, is there?

If a guy was industrious he could probably get a sampler of generic rubber bulb self adhesive strips from a place like Steele, and see which ones might fit into the door jambs. Probably one in the front jamb and one in the rear. Something that compresses easily so it doesn't push the door out of alignment.

My 32 has a rubber lip that fits under the bottom edge of the door upholstery card, and points down to hit the sill panel. Maybe you could find a similar lip for install on your car?

28Hud likes this.

5. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

I had that problem years ago and found a product in a hardware store which I think was used to seal some kind of screen doors.
    It was a small round/oval shape with a hollow center and adhesive strip on one side.
    Not very high profile, but I just stuck it to the inside face of my doors and when the doors were closed they did not rattle and the air draft when driving was reduced heaps.
    I think the brand name was Raven, but just not 100% sure about that.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
    kadillackid and 28Hud like this.