Register now to get rid of these ads!

rattle cans and lace, my truck got it this weekend.....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CanUFelix, May 23, 2010.

1. Buick59

Buick59
    from in a house

What an unhappy person.

2. hotrod_vixen61

hotrod_vixen61
    from Pittsburgh

3. Pauly da mick

Pauly da mick

Well done man! Thats some nice work!! :cool:

4. Antny

Antny
    BANNED
    from Noo Yawk

I don't get it either. Go to any car show and make note of which vehicles get the lion's share of attention.

5. Pauly da mick

Pauly da mick

Easy, the ones with the most dead bugs stuck to the front!:D

6. pipty6

pipty6
    from Tracy

7. StanDaManTX

StanDaManTX
    from The South

u brought that truck around 180 degrees. looks killer now. some chrome bumpers would set it off! great job

8. jonzcustomshop

jonzcustomshop

I really like the way the scallop follows the hood. I too think a copper burst in the center of the wheel will really give it the trad look.
    I also don't understand the negative comment.
    did you do lace down the center of the hood as well?

9. CanUFelix

CanUFelix
    from venice CA

Thanks Guys. I might give the fade on the wheels a try though i think i would fade to copper round the outer edge, if i fuck it up it's not rocket science to rough it up and respray them gold......

I put a strip of lace down the centre 'V' of the hood just to tie in the roof and the scallops a little more, The clear reacted with the paint underneath so its got a bit of a crackle finish thing goin on but I dont really care......the whole thing for me was sketching out a concept and learning a few things on a cool old truck that's never gonna be flawless. I like the try it and see thing, and it's the rootsy, folk art side of kustomizing that i love....My truck is my truck and noone else has got one exactly the same......

Here's a closer shot of the hood, cheers
    Felix
    photo[1].jpg

10. slammed

slammed

A great improvement, fella!

11. blt2go

blt2go

looks great, you've got talent,drive, and vision. alot of people with that so called "real" equipment lack at least one of those three things. keep it up and good luck.

12. Shizzelbamsnapper

Shizzelbamsnapper
    from Ohio

Love the way it changed the look of the truck. Just proves you don't need mega dollars to make a old truck look fresh.

13. low-lincoln

low-lincoln

Great job for rattle cans! keep up the good work.

14. Man, it looks great.

15. PonchoJohn

PonchoJohn
    from Fresno, Ca

I like the way the hood's center came out- very nice work!

16. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

Big improvement.
    Thats great and you it.

17. slider's house of kustoms

slider's house of kustoms
    from idaho

18. It looked great when you started and even better with the details you're adding. I've just sent my grandson the link to this thread to see what can be done on our own project (I'm trying to get the kid to understand that there's more to life than imports...)

Look forward to seeing what else you do on your truck. :cool:

19. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Looks nice to me and I am not even much of a fan of flat black. I say good job.

20. CanUFelix

CanUFelix
    from venice CA

That's cool man, the reason i started this thread was hopefully to show what you can do with a few bucks and some imagination. Rattle cans can be patchy and can run really easy but if your gentle and build up layers slowly you can achieve some interesting results. I wouldn't use this method on one of my more valuable cars but I bought the truck as a low buck vehicle to mess around with and have some fun.....

21. chevymike

chevymike

Wow, what a change. Looks great, especially using a lo-buck approach. I like the idea of doing the fade on the wheels too.

About the only thing I am not feeling the love with is the mirrors. Look too much like an after thought. I think black or chrome would be right. Looks too much like someone "gold plated" the part, like you see with imports that gold plate the factory emblems.

Otherwide I say great job!!!!

22. oldcarfan

oldcarfan
    BANNED
    from missouri

i thought you knew the original poster and this was a joke.

i dont really think a car is finished til it has nice glossy paint and a nice interior, but i still dont see any ratrod in this truck. could of picked a cooler lace pattern, that one looks a little " table clothy" but still you did a great job.

i dig it.

23. Kustomline54

Kustomline54

24. robleticia

robleticia

Screw this guy!^^^^ I think it looks great!

25. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

Looks great, I love black and gold.

26. Apparently, I'm still famous for the custom paint work I did with rattle cans back in the 1960s. :eek: One of my old classmates from my misspent youth in SoCal fondly remembers my brother and me always painting something, usually in candy apple, with spray cans, including the guy's Silvertone (Danelectro) guitar (Candy Blue) and my Italian 10-speed bike (Candy Purple over a gold base). He wasn't surprised when he heard I still do that kind of stuff, albeit with both rattle cans and my proper spraying gear.

My grandson's generation seems to think that everything happens as a result of using credit or debit cards (as opposed to daddy's chequebook, which a lot of my friends in SoCal did some 4+ decades ago). A couple of weekends back he suggested we get a quote from his girlfriend's dad to paint the Low Sierra longroof project... "I beg your pardon", was my reply and pointed to my collection of paint guns in the garage - he got the message. :D

One of the reasons I joined the HAMB was to be able to show this kid what one can do with one's own initiative. Thanks again for sharing your handiwork.

27. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Someone needs a hug!

Looks good. I've been thinking of trying something similiar on my shoebox for.

28. BuickBorracho

BuickBorracho

I agree with this comment.

Truck came out really cool. Much improved from its old look. Are you gonna try your hand at some striping now? :D

29. CanUFelix

CanUFelix
    from venice CA

Certainly am. To be honest the thing the paint really needs is some striping along the edge of the scallops in a sick contrasting colour.......If I don't sell it that will be my trial and error piece. I don't want to spend too much on it as i have a new project heading fast towards its spot in the garage otherwise i'd be all over the spider caps, chrome bumper and better mirrors suggestions......