Register now to get rid of these ads!

rattle cans and lace, my truck got it this weekend.....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CanUFelix, May 23, 2010.

1. CanUFelix

CanUFelix
    from venice CA

so I decided to tidy my 66 Chevy up this weekend before i move it on. surface rust was taking hold of the roof after a winter by the beach and it was bumming me out so i decided it was time to lose rusty silver roof and the red wheels and went out and bought some gold heavy duty Rustoleum and get too it......Now you understand, this truck was never a show quality ride just a cool old truck for hauling stuff so i wasn't out to win any trophys. just tidy it up with a classy sating gold roof.....or so i thought. I kinda got carried away and found myself reaching for the tape to see if i could lay out some straight lines and gentle curves....well before I knew it i was at the fabric shop buying lace, stopping off for more gold and copper paint and picking up and heading back for more clear when i realised i wanted the roof to look deeper......... I took my time and didnt try anything too complicated, i just wanted to see if i could get some good straight lines and follow the curves of the roof. Running a constant line of tape and then trimming out the tape that joined the panels with a razor blade so that all the edges and corners lined up was my first big learning, and I soon got the hang of running long pulls of tape to get good parallel lines by eye.
    IMG_0271.jpg
    IMG_1673.JPG
    CIMG0026.jpg
    CIMG0016.jpg
    IMG_1655.jpg
    IMG_1657.jpg
    IMG_1676.JPG
    IMG_1678.jpg
    IMG_1679.jpg
    once I came up for air i realised the rest looked kinda plain so out came the tape again and this time the hood got hit with faded scallops and lace.......
    IMG_1745.jpg

Once I got done with that the old silver scallops looked crap so I ditched them in favour of plain black flanks and gold wheels. I totaly enjoyed it and now have a hankering for a real spray gun and I could do with finding out who makes the best tape to use. I was just using what i had and though the yellow vinyl stuff went round corners great it seemed to stretch and give an uneven thickness line. anybody got any reco's?

So here she is, let me know what you think. I think its a hell of a lot better than the before shot and out in the sun today the roof really glowed.

IMG_1939.jpg
    IMG_1940.jpg
    IMG_1941.jpg

F

Last edited: May 24, 2010
  2. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

3. RichG

RichG

That looks really sharp! A big step up from the scallops in your first pic, nicely done:D

4. That's one damned fine job you've done on your pick-up.

You'll find using a real paint gun (or guns for some of us crazy-types) will give you an ever better finish. I have a top-of-the range Iwata that I bought 25 years ago for doing big stuff, plus a door-jamb gun (great for motorcycle frames, etc) and a cheap Chinese gun for priming.

As I've been away from SoCal for 29 years, I'm not sure what the hot set-up is these days. One point: make sure you get a compressor that will handle painting large areas. The one I have is fine for doing sickel stuff and touch ups, but runs out of air for painting cars.

5. Baizie1999

Baizie1999
    from The Ky

6. UnsettledParadox

UnsettledParadox

great work!!! the truck wouldnt look right without the scallops to finish!!

7. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Awesome. Just a hint, if you hit the "enter" button after ea picture, it helps.

8. CanUFelix

CanUFelix
    from venice CA

Thanks guys, it means a lot to get a little encouragement on here.I'm stoked with how it came out, the gold and copper really glow in direct sun....I cant wait to have a little more room to work in and improve the equipment i have available to try some more complex work.....

Panhead pete, what does the enter after each image help with?

9. -Brent-

-Brent-

That came out really well...

10. I dig that truck. I'd drive it! And it actually looks like It may be low enough to make the transfer from my wheelchair! That is what always screws me out of getting a truck. And I am a TRUCK MAN. I hate driving cars (well, daily-driver type cars anyhow)

James

11. This is the sort of stuff I'd like to get my grandson into doing on our longroof project.

12. Ctm_motortrends

Ctm_motortrends
    from Ontario Ca

That looks great man. I am going to try this next weekend on my sons wagon.

13. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

So you went from 'classic' flatblack ratrod with red wheels to updated ratrod with spraypaint lace roof and matching wheels.

There are other sites that love this sort of thing.

14. lorodz

lorodz

sweet love the way thr roof looks faded

15. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

^^ :p :rolleyes: ^^

Nice job on the roof

16. CanUFelix

CanUFelix
    from venice CA

Yeah, I guess you could look at it like that. I dont really care, I did it myself, in my own garage with what i had available and now my beater truck looks a hell of a lot better. And I had a blast doing it.

I'm just learning some skills my friend. I guess I could have sat on my ass and dreamed about paint jobs i cant afford to pay somebody else to do......

17. garvinzoom

garvinzoom

Your truck looks great! Love the changes.

You painted the wheels something other than red and did some classic paint tricks with the lace and it gets called a ratrod....whatever.

18. grm61

grm61
    from Washington

Get a life dude:D

Not good enough for you cause he didn't dump thousands into a paintjob?

Is it a Ratrod because it was rattle canned:eek:

Don't like it, don't look.

19. FIL

FIL

Looks good :)

Best of all, you did it yourself, learned a few things and had some fun... Can't complain about that.. :)

20. popsracer

popsracer
    from Sacramento

You didn't have a show truck, but in my book, you do now!

21. 510madmav

510madmav

Wow, that came out pretty swell. think mom will notice if i use the living-room drapes?

22. UnsettledParadox

UnsettledParadox

i commented before but ill comment again. the truck looked ratty before and the scallops were awful and stuck out like a sore thumb...red wheels...way over rated.

now its very classy and fits better into a traditional style

the truck looks great. ive always loves those years and would do no less to it if i had one!!

23. fbama73

fbama73

That truck is cool! Nice work!

24. F*ck that.:mad: Are you serious?:eek:

25. JOEHOODS

JOEHOODS

looks great.....

26. 1955 LEDSLED

1955 LEDSLED
    from LONG BEACH

I like it!!! looks real Kool...

27. illstorm

illstorm
    from Atlanta Ga

Truly a Good Look!!

28. illstorm

illstorm
    from Atlanta Ga

A Truly Good Look

29. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

that came out great,,i can't believe it's rattlecanned,,
    the wheels would look good with the same colors, same fade, and topped off with spider caps..