Register now to get rid of these ads!

Rattle can paint

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by model-a-fan, Mar 15, 2009.

1. model-a-fan

model-a-fan
    from Kentucky

So I started mocking up the front sping on my frame and noticed the paint (one week old) was VERY easily scratched. You can actually rub your hand across it and it will scratch! How long does it take for this shit to cure? Is there a better brand to use? I really don't want to have to completely stip this off and start over. Could I just rough it up and go with a petter paint?

2. Jimv

Jimv

what kind of paint? I always liked Rustoleum, good stuff lasts long & goes on nice.
    Is it cold where you are? Is it humid? all this means alot when painting
    JimV

3. model-a-fan

model-a-fan
    from Kentucky

It's been hovering around upper 60's. I put it on one day last week when it was in the lower 70's Not humid at all.

4. red3

red3

I agree with jimv rustoleum worked best for me too. went on easy and covers well.

5. model-a-fan

model-a-fan
    from Kentucky

Anyone ever use the Eastwood chassis black spray bombs? Or, should I just wait a while long and see if the current paint hardens?

6. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Avoid stuff like Eastwoods unless you are building a show car. Will anyone except road kill ever see scratches on springs? What brand did you use? Enamel? Did you put on one heavy coat? Were parts clean of oil, etc? Most stuff you buy at major auto store should work.

7. model-a-fan

model-a-fan
    from Kentucky

It was Plasticoat "Super Enamel" for metal. I sanded down the frame, etched primed, and then put on two coats.

8. hotrodjohnny77

hotrodjohnny77

That stuff takes almost a month to fully cure. Use Kar Kraft brand if you can find it. We have it on the east coast at most paint supply stores. Just like you sprayed it.

Jon

9. model-a-fan

model-a-fan
    from Kentucky

So after curing, I should be OK. If it only means I need to wait a while longer, I will.

Thanks guys.