Register now to get rid of these ads!

Rattle Can Paint Job?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by greasemunkee, Jan 22, 2013.

1. greasemunkee

greasemunkee
    from San Diego

Need to get a coat of something on my '51 Chevy pick up since she will be sitting outside when I likely go on deployment later this year. I'm trying to do my due diligence with sanding, priming and prepping as best as I can, but can't use a spray gun where I live (Navy Housing). I was looking at using Rustoleum spray bombs and clear coat to get a decent look to it so my wife doesn't have to deal with the housing people telling her it's a eye sore. I'm using rustoleum primer since my buddy had pretty decent luck with it a few years ago and his old Ford still looks pretty nice. Don't know if anyone has done it or how long it will last. Don't have too much time and want to get away cheap since this is really a temporary thing. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. henry29

henry29

It would be cheaper to roll it on then wet sand and polish it.

3. NEWFISHER

NEWFISHER
    from Oregon

The 2 part prime and paint in one Rustoleum is pretty tough, oats ok decent and is a higher solid than Krylon, but like mentioned a tight roller and wet sanding will be a lot cheaper.

4. PRE48V-8

PRE48V-8
    from H.G., CA

...I had a colleague w/a nice, cherry, stock, original '38 Ford Deluxe 2dr. sedan who was low on funds and wanted to paint his car after lowering it a bit and painting the steelies yellow. He gathered up all of the Krylon cans of gloss black paint w/the same batch number, cleaned, prepped & masked off the car & sprayed it w/cans using a plastic trigger handle attachment, taking his time in a clean work area. He unmasked it after spraying, color sanded & hand rubbed/polished it. He was embarrased that he couldn't afford to have it painted. Ironically, I used to have a picture of it that I'd show mixed w/about 4 other pictures of cars that had professionally applied paint jobs and ask people to identify which of the 5 cars was sprayed with rattle cans. Most people picked the '38 Ford 4th or 5th out of the five cars. Maybe you don't have the time, but I'm just saying with time, patience and a lot of hand jivin', a nice rattle can paint job is possible (over straight sheet metal of course). Good luck with your project and be safe during your deployment!

5. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

The upper part of a vw single cab i have sittin in the weather since 08 is rattle canned, and shows so little wear no one would tell. The key other than prep is using quality bombs.
    Not necessarlily the most xpensive too.
    For instance, the hobby store where i bought them had dupli color bombs goin at 12 each, and a no brand type for 4, by lookin at the label i found out they were exactly the same, and i even tryed using the two togheter, confirmin they had the same exact paint in them. I still use'em for small projects. I used them for the suspension of my daily last july and today its still fine with no rust surfacing, and its 90% humidity here most days....

6. rbonazzoli

rbonazzoli
    from Dallas, TX

Rustoleum will be fine, although you'll have to remove it later for the final paint job. I painted one of my oval track cars with rustoleum orange, and it was good all season. That stuff is designed to be sprayed on and left without maintenance, so it will last.

7. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

Yeah, remember that rustoleum being oil based will be a huge PITA to remove....ad cant be painted over.

8. thetwistedpiston

thetwistedpiston

For what it's worth, I have some Restoleum bombs and they are enamal and dry real fast. I was going to roll on color on my roof but the Rustoleum in the can is oil based enamal and it said 24 hours plus to dry.

9. Ironhorze

Ironhorze

I used Wal Mart flat black enamel on 1950 plymouth Rat Rod. .92 a can and it took 42 cans. Take you time and use a pistol grip handle. Lasted for several years. Just wash with soap and wipe down with lacquer thinner.Stopped rust and looked good for 42.00. Keep your head dowm and cover your six. Thank you for your service for our country. An old Vietnam Vet.

10. chopo

chopo

go to tsc and get magic sandable primer/sealer. brush it on and let it go until your ready to finish. when your ready wet sand it and shoot with your choice of color. stuff caps off well. doesnt fade off and puts down a nice thicker barrier. i like it

11. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

Best reply yet!

12. 28TUDOR

28TUDOR

We have a English automotive paint store around here. They will mix whatever color and put it in a rattle can for around $10 a can. Sure it a little higher than rustoleum but it is a automotive paint and you can pick what color you want, not what color Wal-mart or whoever has. There may be a auto paint store around you that does this?

13. OK - I'll admit it - my avatar is a rattle can job - Krylon - 17 cans @ $2 a can.

14. TheTrailerGuy

TheTrailerGuy

Another great long term storage paint is (believe it or not) John Deere Blitz black in spray cans... they cost a little more but about 4-5 cans will give it a good coat and you can take it off easy in the future.

15. 53 COE

53 COE
    from PNW

What is TSC ?

:confused:

16. Tractor Supply I believe ...

17. jimstro16

jimstro16

Tractor supply co

18. 53 COE

53 COE
    from PNW

19. zibo

zibo
    from dago ca

I love the rattlecan!
    Our 40 was sitting outside in the elements looking like this.
    [​IMG]
    The fog was so thick every morning it was soaked.
    The zinc chromate primer was strong but needed more protection.
    [​IMG]
    After a dozen cans of metallic green and engine enamel clear coat, (Kragen)
    it looked like this.
    [​IMG]
    Once it was really dry,
    I kinda rubbed it out a bit to get the glare off it,
    kinda blends in the inevitable rough spots from the cheap tips.
    [​IMG]
    Unbelievably SIX (6!) years later this is what it looks like.
    Most of this time it sat outside - mostly sun and fog.
    Only the past year it's been in the garage for work,
    and it's not much more protected as the kids and I scratch it up more inside!

Looking back I would do it again,
    but I'd do better prep work.
    At the time I was trying to save the good spots of that 60's bright green,
    and was thinking it was going to be way more patina'd by this time.
    Also my bodywork was a little hasty,
    never thought it would last this long without touch up.
    Everyone that sees it thinks it was an old 60's paint job!

There is a really good rattlecan made by SHERWIN-WILLIAMS.
    It comes in the basic colors like gloss black, flat black, and rainbow colors,
    but man this stuff sprays so smooth and is really strong.
    It's only $6 a can and you'll get a military discount at the store.
    I'm gonna use that paint on my other 40 project if it ever gets to that point.
    It's really strong paint.

TP

20. Mako. 300 dollars get you a decent paint job if you have already done your prep work.

21. kingpins

kingpins

theres a great brush painting thread on here too that might be of some intrest. some of my fav cars i have saved pics of surprisingly was on there. i was shocked they were painted with a brush

22. greasemunkee

greasemunkee
    from San Diego

First off, thanks for all the replies! Thought i would get hung because of the thread title. Ha ha ha. Either way, I already started priming with rustoleum rattle cans since i had half dozen laying around. Can i use any spray paint to go over this stuff, or am i now committed to strictly rustoleum products. I looked up TSC, and the closest one is 80 miles away, so I'm stuck with auto parts store, home depot or lowes as paint buying options. Once again, any help is good help. Thanks again!

23. greasemunkee

greasemunkee
    from San Diego

Thanks a lot brother! Will do!

24. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

Im pretty sure than anything you goin to use on top of it has to be oil based too.
    But wait for someone with real experience with the stuff to reply.

25. chopo

chopo

that would be the paint i believe. dont use the shop primer. its a mfer to sand. make sure its the labeled sandable. they make a med. gray colored primer that is sandlable. the primer will dry in a gloss finish if you do not use there reducer. when reducer is used (best option) it will dry flat

oh yea totally NOT like the crappy rusty oleum

26. Moedog07

Moedog07

If you use Rustolem or the TSC tractor paint use the TSC hardner. It speed the drying time and will add shine to the paint But be aware it is hazardous to your lungs.

I reduce Rustolem (paint) with acetone and add the hardner. Makes for some purdy paint... :D

27. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

I have never liked Rustoleum.

[​IMG]

I discover this by accident. I had a rather rough looking Deuce sedan and just for kicks I painted a section with this. Damn what a difference. I did the sport coupe with it and like it says it dries in 10 minutes. I'd recommend one of those snap on spray can triggers. My finger got sore pretty quickly. Do a panel at a time. It does repair pretty easily if necessary. I had it in stock for using on chassis parts for later models.

28. derbydad276

derbydad276

I used rustoleum satin enamal mixed it with acetone 15% used a harborfreaight spray gun looks fine a year later if you wnt to put re; paint on you will need to strip it to bare metal

29. MoparJoel

MoparJoel

[​IMG]

Thats what I used on my truck the satin black krylon walmart special think i spend $50 bucks on my paint job, not the best but makes it cleaner than having 100 different colors and hides dents and imperfections well. I ship off for Korea in a month, for a year tour and mine will be sitting outside but from the beating its taken already Im not too worried about it while Im gone.
    [​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

30. Moedog07

Moedog07

I thought the base at San Diego had an MWR autoshop? It's been awhile since I was out there. I just reread your dilemma and noticed on base housing issue. Rattle cans should do you fine.
    Too bad you can't find some where to spray the vehicle. I remember how goofy the California rules were, spill fuel or oil, dig up an acre of dirt, bag it, wearing your Hazmat suit, call for a case number and the Secret Service etc.......

Last edited: Jan 28, 2013