Register now to get rid of these ads!

Rattle can metalflake?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fast41, Dec 6, 2007.

1. fast41

fast41

Does anybody make rattle can metalflake? I want to flake the dash of my truck the easy, cheap and lazy way if it is possible. Thanks!

2. thesupersized

thesupersized

i believe duplicolor does, i never used it, they call it "speckels" or something like that. autozone carries it..

3. punkabilly1306

punkabilly1306
    from ohio

yeah its duplicolor "metal speck" its like 9$ a can, looks pretty good..i've used the silver and red with decent success

4. coolerthanethan

coolerthanethan
    from Miami, FL

i used the duplicolor metal flake blue on my bmx bike frame followed by 2 coats of clear came out awesome

5. hellbound gasser

hellbound gasser

Ive never done it, but it seems to me that if you wanted a stupid amount of flake, you could get that autozone (whatever brand you like) clear, lay a medium-wet coat and toss glitter sparkles in it and reclear it once it dries.....have to find a way to spread the sparkles real even though...

6. BadLuck

BadLuck

I have used this too....does look a little "dry" when done...but if you do a few coats of clear, looks pretty good...

7. I used the blue a few weeks ago, not too bad, but like mentioned, much better with clear coat

8. DrJ

DrJ

I did my '60 MGA Black with rattle can Charcoal metalflake fenders and doors back in '68.
    Looked pretty good for rattle can but I wouldn't call it metalflake.
    More like real heavy metallic like the "Firethorn" they had on GM cars around '77.

9. hodaddyo

hodaddyo

[​IMG]

i used seymour metal flake, its called sunburst. some is still available thru their online store. most of the colors have been discontinued. send unclescooby a message and ask him when his new line is going to be done. he was supposed to come out with his own line a while ago. here are some pics of my car. it looks alot better in the sun and the more coats of clear i put on it the better it seems to look. what are you gonna do? it's backyard built... ultra low buck. i think it looks good enough for civil service. lol

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

i used gloss black on the frame and then i hit it with duplicolor "clear FX" paint. i think it came out pretty good as well.

[​IMG]

hopefully will make its maiden voyage this weekend if the weather holds up in NY.

sorry, didn't mean to take over your thread, figured i'd post pics of how my experience turned out. do a search on seymour sunburst paint. there are a couple of threads on it. good luck

10. gnarlytyler

gnarlytyler

I wouldn't call the duplicolor stuff metalflake, but either do they.. haha.. thats why its called metalspeck!.. but its better than regular paint though, $10bucks a can.. kinda pricey i think.. and the blue is the best color, the silver is really dry.
    -Anthony

11. 1931S/X

1931S/X
    from nj

i painted a bike once when i was a kid with the plasticote metalic from pepboys. probably similar to the duplicolor, it wasnt so bad. im not sure if id use it on my car though.

12. hooligan1

hooligan1

Testors model paint makes a spray bomb metalflake. Kinda pricey though!

13. Skattruggles

Skattruggles
    from Dixon, CA

I was a puller at a csk distribution center a while ago and I'd pull some of the duplicolor sometimes. Sometimes i'd "test" it out on the shelf or a pallet jack. Not quite metalflake, but its decent. The blue definitely looked better than the other colors.

14. dirtbag_46

dirtbag_46
    from ohio

rustoleum has some out at walmart. ive used the blue on a couple things with good results. you just have to have a good base light colored base coat and a couple cans of clear. i like the stuff its great in my eyes the more clear you lay down on top it starts to change colors -blue/purple-red/pink-black/grey plus its cheaper than the already metioned 9 bucks too

15. 61 chevy

61 chevy

man you much be on drugs:eek: