Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ratio problem F100 -53

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Flatred53, Jun 13, 2005.

1. Hello

I have a F100 1953 with the old flathead V8 and 3 speed, the truck is all stock. I wonder If some one knows what kind of rear end it is, it looks like a little Dana or is it Fords own axle? The question is the easiest way to change ratio, should I find another axle or is this kind of axle mounted in other trucks /cars so I just could change pinion and gear. The engine revs pretty hi on the highway as it is now.

Lars.

2. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

mine is 3.92 ratio. Used with 31" tall tyres you should run at 2550 rpm at 60 mph.

Cheers

3. I haven't checked was it is for a ratio in the rear end yet. I had a F100-62 with a 292 and 3.00 in the rear before, and that truck you could drive with out no problem on the highway.

Lars

4. The rear axle is a Spicer Ford type if it hasn't been changed. The easiest thing to do is find a 57-60 Ford Truck housing and axles. Make sure to get the top U-Bolt spacer and lower shock mounts. That housing uses the same backing plates and drums as your 55 and is a complete bolt in. Then you have a 9" Ford unit and any 9" center will bolt right in, just make sure it's a 28 spline spider gear, you don't even need to modify the driveshaft. Nothing but nuts and bolts, Gear ratio from 2:90 to 5:13, take your pick.
    The Wizzard

5. Thanks

I wasn't sure but it real looked like a Dana Spicer. Thanks for the tip.

Lars

6. krooser

krooser

I think Spicer DID make that rear for Ford...they also made the Triple Six (6.66 to 1) in the 3/4 and one tons...

7. Is there anyone who knows the size on the axle on a F100 -53? Lot of old Volvo car used Dana Spicer I think it was Dana 27 / 30 and 31.

Lars