Register now to get rid of these ads!

Rat Rod Overhaulin

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bad Bob, Jun 1, 2006.

1. Merc63

Merc63

I like the firewall, but then again, I'm wearing checkerboard Vans right now at the office.. ;) and I built a tub model back in the late '60s that had the checkerboard firewall.

2. labelkills

labelkills

Ha! Thats true!

3. speedaddict

speedaddict
    from Austin, Tx

Saw this episode last night with my family. I liked it a lot also. My little brothers and sisters who aren't too familiar with hot rods and customs really loved the car also...I'm glad I was able to watch it with them.

4. I dunno... I could leave the Duvall without shedding a tear. Overall, the car looks great. The engine tratment is sweet. Now I think I know what that exhaust maniflold I've had laying around is off of!

5. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

For this car to have been originally a sedan, I think that it captured the Look! I feel that Chip took the owners feelings into consideration with this build & created a Hot Rod Tub that any one of us could & would be proud to be seen in & ck this out, No personal bucks were laid out by the owner;):D

I watch this show & feel that this was truly the BEST ever build that the Overhaulin crew ever re-assembled. Now if I can only get the producers to do my A-Bone lakes job:D ;) :rolleyes:.

As for the original chassis, Wonder where that ended up @ That lil Mazda banger would be a great mpg maker right now & it's part of Fords Global Family:D .

I think it was a stick too!:p

6. teach'm

teach'm
    from Tucson, AZ

Great build, but considering the amount of detail they included in the car (painted grille insert, clearancing the hood for the carb stacks, continuing the windshield trim across the cowl, etc.), you would think they could have found a front seat that didn't stick so far above the beltline. Seems like the seats were an afterthought, as they take away from the side profile of the finished product.

-Ryan

7. DITTO. Especially how Foose narrowed the door thickness and body edge to give it more of an original tub appearance. And the work that was put into flaring the windshield posts at the body transition was first class. And the dash. Bitchin'

What nobody's mentioned is the primered 29 steel highboy with a flattie that was a backdrop car during some of "what's his name?"'s dumbass, rockerrific imitations.

Now that was a bitchin roadster, from what little you could see.

8. Squablow

Squablow

Anyone got any before pics, or pics of the dash that show the whole dash? I didn't see the show, would like to see what they started with.

9. Fidget

Fidget

I would have really liked to have heard it run. I noticed that it looked like they didn't have the fuel lines, or brake lines ran either. I could be wrong about the brake lines since the master cylinder was placed under the body.

When the engine builder said it takes him about 3 hours to build an engine, I about crapped. I've taken 3 hours trying to get an exhaust manifold off intact!! :D

I want to see the show where the owner looses it and punches the prank guy.

10. Painterman

Painterman

Here's what they started with. I got this mag at the grocery store. It's put out by Hotrod and it's called Overhaulin', the magazine. It gives behind the scenes info and more in depth coverage of the cars and stories behind them. But like I said before, I bought it just for the coverage of this car.

Attached Files:

11. knuckle

knuckle
    from Missery

I had the high bid on this car on e-bay a couple of years ago. What I would have done with it had already played over and over in my head million times and I have often thought of it since.

I was stoked to see a car that I had some pipe dream attachment to be finished out on the show. They pretty much nailed the look I was thinking however I always pondered a chocolate brown finish with brown "baseball glove" like leather interior.

12. Squablow

Squablow

Thanks for the pics. From what I can read of the print, it looks like it had a Mazda four in it? And the interior looks like nothing. I'd say they did a fine job. I really like the windshield and how it extends down the center of the hood.

I've never seen a whole episode of Overhaulin' because I hate that bimbo on there that doesn't know shit about cars, but this looks like it's definitely worth watching.

13. BlackFlag

BlackFlag

I dont have any problems with that "bimbo" I just hit the mute button. Did you really think they could make a car show without the obligatory woman with a slightly annoying voice? (think that SpeedTV girl).

I love the way the car looks, sure it would look better with a cream/off-white firewall, or another accenting solid color IMO. Either way, its great to see a big name like foose build a tub, errr, make that a good looking tub.

Even if they didnt finish the wiring in time I dont care, I watch that show for the work, cars, and the occasional cool part I didnt know exisited. Unfortunatly, we have to endure their shennanigans. I doubt there would be a show if there wasnt drama.

14. Painterman

Painterman

Yeah that's right. It had a Mazda in it. And the interior was a mix of fuzzy seat covers and mexican blankets. The dash didn't have much on it either.

I've only seen a few episodes. I liked this one because of the car obviously. I bought this whole magazine just for the one article. I like the premise of the show, and how they help out "deserving" people to get the ride they always wanted but I wish they would throw a few more rods or customs in the mix. I really was surprised they didn't put big ol' Foose wheels on the tub!!

15. Spridle

Spridle

The thing they didn't show that I was looking for was how they mounted the wide 5 wheels to the 9in rear, or buick drums. All I can figure is that he is Chip Foose and just had some adapters made.

16. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There's not one person on this forum that would rather have it as-was. Firewall, leather...just about perfect. Why brown? What I see is that the engine, seats, wheels, firewall, and striping all blend in with each other. Very nice, very traditional touch. I too thought it the best episode. My wife generally glances at the show when I catch it and she likes when the people cry...and sometimes so does she! She agreed that it was the best she'd seen adn doesn't know this stuff as I do. She actually watched the whole thing on the re-run as well. I for one wouldn't change a thing. Hats off to Foose for having the "feel" to pull this one off.

17. I would be pissed about most of the cars if they were mine,billet wheels and a crate motor in a car that I was saving my pennies to do in a vintage style?!!
    But I really like the tub!

18. VonMoldy

VonMoldy
    from UTARRGH!

y block for president.

kiwijeff likes this.
  19. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Gotta say that I'm not a big TCI chassis fan, but I do think that Ed's crew out did themselves on this one;). I like the look of a 32 chassis with tank out the rear and rear horns retained:cool: It's not often that you see this kind of look on either an A bone sedan or a tub. In fact I can can count the # of times on one hand that I have seen this type of set up. I think that this makes the rear of this car & it doesn't even a quickie:rolleyes:.

20. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

yes it is... i like it alot. the hood and intake scoops are killer. i would'nt kick it out of my garage.

21. BLAKE

BLAKE

That windshield is art, pure and simple-like... glad they at least showed a taste of how much effort went into fabbing it up.

Nice, too, that the fella really knew just how lucky he was... not sure all the Overhaulin' victims really get that.

22. speedaddict

speedaddict
    from Austin, Tx

I absolutely love the hood

23. Ya gotta love a tub. I'd even dare say, that I'd rather have a tub than a roadster. I think that this is the best episode of Overhaulin' to date, and atleast this bimbo isn't as annoying as the first one they had. My favorite part of Overhaulin is when Chip does the drawing. That man can draw!

As for the car itself, I don't care for the windshield, get rid of the hood, and 86 the carb scoops and checkerboard. And, I don't think I'm alone when I say that the black with red theme is way overdone. Atleast they didn't shove a 350/ 350 combo in it!

All in all, it's a work of art, and I respect the talent and effort that went into building it.

24. Stumpy

Stumpy

My dad loves that show.This is the first one I thought was cool.The first car that I wouldn't be embarrased to drive.We saw it at Back to the Beach.The show didn't do it justice.You have to see the dash,sweet!

25. chrisman

chrisman

If you know how to use a Bittorrent client, you can download that episode here:

http://www.mininova.org/tor/245799

26. skratch

skratch

what up, with that striping?and that dash?

27. Fresh469

Fresh469
    from Benton, KY

28. abonecoupe31

abonecoupe31
    from Michigan

Tell Chip he can come and pick up my Model A and pimp my ride anytime.

29. *HOLLYWOOD*53

*HOLLYWOOD*53

is the guy a member of the HAMB you would thinks so right

30. ckdesigns

ckdesigns
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Ogden,Utah

I really wish I would have finished my car before this came out.
    I can already hear it now "that's like that car from overhaulin".
    It's an OK car if your into those tub things.
    Makes me wish I had 32 rails under mine.