Register now to get rid of these ads!

RAT in a 'BOX?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 40HeavyChevy, Sep 18, 2015.

1. 40HeavyChevy

40HeavyChevy
    from US

So an engine swap is in the future plans for my '51 Shoebox and as of now I have two options:

1966 327/ 300hp model that was originally in a Chevelle,

Or a mid '80s 454 that was originally in either a truck or suburban.

I know the 327 is the more traditional option, but i'm curious as to whether or not a BBC could be dropped under the hood. The car is clipped already with G body suspension components and currently has a 305/th350 drivetrain. I'm not looking to do any firewall mods to make the BBC fit, just thought it would be different than seeing just another SBC under the hood. Has anyone done a BBC in a Shoebox? Opinions, suggestions, and pictures would be great. Thanks

2. The BBC will drop in on the original SBC motor mounts, the difference in length is from the motor mounts forward. So the firewall probably won't be your problem although you may have to move the rad to the front side of the core support.

I am going to say something totally illogical here, I am not a big fan of the 454, I like 427s and 396s though. :oops: I would probably stay with the small journal small block give my choices, I like the SBC really well and the small journal short stroke motors are my favorites.

3. 40HeavyChevy

40HeavyChevy
    from US

Beaner, I totally understand the 396/427 vs. 454 comment. 454 sort of lacks the same type of "nostalgia" that the earlier BBCs possess. Thanks for pointing out the difference in forward measurement. I'm currently running a mechanical fan and want to keep it that way. I'm sure I'd have to swap to an electric unit with a BBC, and personally the "whiz" of one just kills it for me. The heads and block on the 327 are numbers matching components, guess that only matters on a original restoration type build; but I think it adds some appeal to going the 327 route.

4. Even in a hot rod or custom if you are building a traditional ride all original castings are cool. I am the worlds worse to throw a set of 305 or 307 heads on a 283 for a quick and easy fix but they are way cooler with the original heads repaired and reworked.

I think my aversion to the 454 has to do with in my mind it is a truck motor and a 396/427 is a hot rod motor.

5. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

bigger is better - sometimes - can get a lot of horse power fun out of a small block.

6. The BBC will add more weight over the nose of the car, something to consider.

7. ididntdoit1960

ididntdoit1960
    from Western MA

no problem beaner.....just call it a stroked 427 instead of a 454........If your current sbc has the long water pump you could make up some of the addl big block length by using a short pump on the 454.....if you already have a swp on your 305 the bbc swap may not be for you as it will undoubtedly require more surgery .....also - a lot of other things to consider on the bbc swap, like the valve covers hitting the firewall (low stock covers help) and exhaust clearance/new headers - the 327 is obviously a bolt in (are you sure its not from a corvette, i thought they all were LOL)......that said, no one ever says their car has too much power - go with the big block!

8. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

someone needs to tell the guys with SS 454 Chevelles they have a truck motor.o_O

if this is the car in your avatar a big block would not fit the style of the car.

9. 40HeavyChevy

40HeavyChevy
    from US

10-4

On a side note, the original intake manifold is not on the 327. What would be your recommendation for a intake setup? I'm looking to stick with a 4bbl. I'm not looking to make outrageous amounts of horsepower, just want to basically rebuild to stock specs with a slight cam upgrade. Want to keep it as reliable as possible, after all it's just a cruiser. I plan on putting a 700r4 behind it and I'm running a Ford 9" rear (ratio unknown, but it's out of a late '50s Ford. Small bearing 28 spline) if that helps.

10. Actually a couple of years ago I was able to convince the raven that you can have too much power. he was running 12s on those old hard assed 7.00x16 truck tires on the roadster and said that he wished he had more zot. I was running the SBC in the roadster a little detuned so that he could make passes with the skinny hard tires. So I set it on kill and he made a 13 second pass, of course he did keep the tires spinning well past half track. :D

No offense intended here but when I first started racing back in the late '60s an old guy told me that only people who have never seriously raced think that you can never have too much power. he was right of course.

I have. ;)

My go to intake for a 327 unless I have something trick to use has always been an L-79. They are a little harder to find these days then they used to be but you can still find them cheap enough because no one knows what they are.

11. 40HeavyChevy

40HeavyChevy
    from US

ididntdoit1960- I know what you're saying. I'm positive it's not a Corvette motor, nor will it ever be dressed as one as long as I have it LOL. If it were one, it'd be listed in the classifieds trying to get some $$$ to fund the project.

49ratfink- I can understand why you'd say that. The 327 does seem more fitting and I was honestly on the fence about which way I was going to go. Leaning more toward the 327 option.

12. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Nothin wrong with a 305 if your just gonna be cruisin, You sure you aint wantin to do burnouts and just sound cool sayin 327 or 454 ?....:D...........just messin with ya, good luck with what ever you decide.

13. 40HeavyChevy

40HeavyChevy
    from US

low budget, no worries I can take a joke.

When I do replace the 305 it'll be out of necessity. It is a great running motor, but instead of freshening up the 305 later on down the road I'd rather put my money and effort into the 327.

I've pretty much dismissed the 454 idea. I think I'd have to modify more than what I'd like to make it work.

14. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Sounds like a good solid plan, I would like to have a standby 327 on a stand in my garage too, but then the itch would take over and I would hafta find something to put it in............:D