Register now to get rid of these ads!

rat fink purchased by big daddy?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gearhead Graphics, Apr 4, 2012.

1. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

So, I figure someone here might know the answer....

Friend of mine tells me that Big Daddy bought the fink from another artist, rights and all for $400 clams.
    I've always heard/read that he created the fink as a middle finger to Disney and M Mouse.

Cant find anything to support his claim. I know that he paid a lot of people to do RF shirts and such.

Any input?

p.s. 11 years ago today we lost him. what a cool guy (never got to meet him, but met many who did, and nothing but amazing stories)

2. Tommy's Cycle

Tommy's Cycle
    from So Cal

I was told by a reputable person of knowledge that Roth did indeed create the "Rat" as a anti-hero to Disney's Mickey Mouse. Originally drawn on a napkin and then later transferred to the family refrigerator.

3. BOP-Nut

BOP-Nut

RIP BIG DADDY

Every source I've ever seen says Roth created it.

4. Tommy's Cycle

Tommy's Cycle
    from So Cal

5. one you should ask Bad bob

6. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

I used to be a klingon in his shop in Anahiem. One day he was striping something in green and I had a brand new Peugeot ten speed. as a regular stand outside the roll up door guy, he told me to bring my bike over to him. He used my bike to drain the brush. My Dad was so pissed, wish I had it now.
    RIP BIG DADDY.

7. Everyone says that they can discredit Mr Roth. If it makes you feel any better some dude out in Kansas says that Walt stole mickey from him.

Just let the man rest in peace.

8. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

I read the original question as did Don Garlits (Big Daddy) buy the rights to Rat Fink?
    If that's indeed your question, then NO, Big Daddy is also Ed Roth's nickname.

There's two Big Daddy's in our little world.

9. Roth did pen the Fink on a napkin as a bash against Mickey Mouse. Long live the R.F.

10. Actually it was a bash against a Kansas City mechanic that had screwed him at least that is where the name came from, maybe not the picture.

None the less he didn't buy it steal it or borrow it from anyone else.

Ya know what I heard is that Ford got the idea for the mustang from a brothel in neveda. Musta been on helluva ride that's all I got to say.:rolleyes:

Last edited: Apr 4, 2012
  11. :D:DTOO-SHAE. I remember when Ford advertised having a better idea:p

12. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

11 years ago today we lost him.

Wow.... time really flys....I remember where and what was doing when I got that phone call from a close friend.

Rest in Peace Big Daddy.

As far as I am concerned personally.. he will always be the originator.
    He certainly added a lot of color to this hobby.

13. Ed Roth was the creator /copyrighted 1966
    you could ask Johnny Ace, he worked for Ed

14. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

Who's got the refrigerator door?

15. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

RIP Big Daddy, wish I could have got the chance to meet you.
    As for the original question, mentioned the name rat Fink and who is the first person that pops into your head?
    That's all the answer I need.
    Paul

16. ratster

ratster

i met Mr Roth one time, just wish he knew what kind of Lasting
    Empressions he made with me... R.I.P. Big Daddy

17. john walker

john walker

i met him in seattle years ago when he was into indy films. told me how he made bubble tops. cool guy, RIP.

18. Muttley

Muttley

It was earlier than that, this decal is dated 1963:

[​IMG]

19. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Another version of the story: Stanley Mouse of Detroit claims Roth got the idea from his Freddy Flypogger character then changed it around a little.

SECONDS: Rumor has it that Ed Roth stole the Rat Fink from the work you were doing –
    MOUSE: Well, he stole my mouse image and took my character Freddy Flypogger and turned him into a rodent. You take the tail, ears and nose off and you have Freddy Flypogger. I was painting on the East Coast car show circuit and Roth came from the West Coast to a show in Pittsburgh. He was showing his car off and said, “Hey kid, can I paint at the show with you? You’ll learn how to make three hundred dollars instead of a hundred.” I said, “Let’s do it.” He set up next to me and he had a pair of Levis, a giant stomach and no shirt on and he sat on his little stool that was about a foot high and started painting. He was painting snakes and skulls, groovy stuff, but he was real slow and he only painted in black and white. I went fast and colored everything in and wound up making a thousand dollars. He made three hundred. He took a bunch of my catalogs back to L.A. and had his artists copy all my stuff and they created Rat Fink out of my characters.
    I called my shirts Monster shirts and he called his Weirdo shirts. Then he started calling his stuff Monster shirts and even stole the pointed hat idea from me and called them Rat Fink hats.

Complete interview here:

http://www.happyhomelandstore.com/interviews/STANLEYMOUSE.htm

20. Larry T

Larry T

21. 2loud2old

2loud2old

I remember getting a white sweatshirt airbrushed by Roth at the Pittsburgh show. Had a character with his tongue hanging out holding a big shifter. Cool rod truck carrying beer kegs. Title of the art was BEER MAN! We wore them to school that Monday and were in a lot of trouble for wearing sweatshirts. That was 1962! Wish that I had that sweatshirt today!

22. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

23. metalman

metalman

Rummers abound on this one. I had an older pinstripping/ signpainter buddy that showed me a picture of a "rodent" he claimed he drew in the 50's, it resembled the Rat Fink. He claimed he showed that drawing to Ed back then and Ed stole the idea from him, claimed Ed was good at stealing others ideas. I never put much weight into the story, I think they all stole ideas from each other, just Ed was the best at promoting them.

24. A friend of mine said that Mr Blow didn't really invent his famous job... It was invented by a woman named Fellatio... Mr. Blow was better at marketing.

25. I was told it leaves a bad taste in your mouth. Same as saying that a dead man stole your idea. Hell if a fella only had one good idea in his lifetime he deserved to have it stolen.

26. Tommy's Cycle

Tommy's Cycle
    from So Cal

Hmmm, check out photo #16 from an East Coast show in 1962. And the first completed Rat Fink was in '63 by Monteverde, working for Roth... interesting..but in all, it really doesnt matter now..... http://www.jalopyjournal.com/?p=10093

27. Larry T

Larry T

Benno,
    I don't know about the Rat Fink/Freddy Flypogger deal, but Stanley Mouse did a little more than monster shirts.
    Larry T

http://www.mousestudios.com/

28. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

Another story that I have heard/read, was that the original name was Rat F**k. As in "who gives a rat f**k. Later changed for marketing purposes.

Ah! the stuff of legends...

Al T likes this.
  29. Colin HD

Colin HD

RIP Big Daddy
    Who cares, his name will forever be linked to the RF.
    Show us your collections.
    DSC00497.JPG

DSC00496.JPG