Register now to get rid of these ads!

Rare studebaker parts stolen!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LOWBLAZERO1, Jul 4, 2010.

1. LOWBLAZERO1

LOWBLAZERO1

Recently, Sam and Rhonda Bailey had their '36 Dictator in Glendale, AZ, for the national Studebaker meet, and the rare vent wings on the front doors were stolen. The Baileys finally got the video footage from the Glendale PD. Does anybody recognize the thief?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeERN_eLubM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CeY1GMx2Ym0
    <!-- google_ad_section_end -->
    thank in advance for any and all help you can provide!

2. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

Wished I could help. This sux and the thief needs his ass removed with a belt sander lubed with acetone.

3. -Brent-

-Brent-

I can't wait for video cameras to reflect current technology. That might stop (or at least reduce) public thefts like this.

4. I have been hearing about and reading about Studebaker people stealing each other's trim pieces at meets for a number of years.
    A number of people wrote about stainless trim being pulled right off their cars in years past.
    People keep getting stranger and stranger....

5. With those kind of distance shots from above, it's kind of hard to tell
    things. Needs to be zoomed in and made more clear. Looks like a
    brown shirt, shorts, tennis shoes, cap......a younger person. Car did
    not appear to be locked. Evidently no hotel security at that moment,
    if at all.

Sorry to hear the story.

6. That's interesting.
    I am not saying he couldn't be a younger person, but the first impression I had when I first saw the vid was of someone 40's 50's or possibly a bit older.
    Maybe it was because of the "usual age" of the people I see with those cars, or maybe the mannerisms when he was walking, but now I can't tell. I started out thinking "middle aged or slightly later", but now?..I question my first impression.

7. 1oldrat

1oldrat

Looks like he knew what he was taking.

8. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

send the tape to CSI Las Vegas. they will zoom in and have a perfectly clear picture of the guys face even though it would be too pixelated in real life to tell who the heck it was

9. temper_mental

temper_mental
    from Texas

WTF is wrong with people.

10. That totally sucks, but one question....why wasn't the car locked??

The 'perp' didn't make any effort to break into the car. :confused:

11. Dare T B...........just my guess as to age. Could be anything.

Did have on white crew socks with his tennis shoes.

12. mbstude

mbstude

Thanks for starting the thread, lowblazer.

I was at the show and know the owner of the car. The Studebaker club is essentially one big family and theft amongst club members is most times unheard of. Sure it's happened before, but it's a very rare occurrence. The car is a '36 model and for '36 only, Studebaker offered the optional vent window wings on the exterior side of the glass.

As far as the owner knows, the wings on his car were the only ones known to exist. The thief obviously knew exactly what he was taking. It had to have been out of hatred. There's no way he could sell or use them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 5, 2010
  13. SpeedAddict001

SpeedAddict001
    from Alaska

What an a$$wipe!! I hope they catch the damn thief....

14. Some people just suck! Good luck finding the guy.

CBB

15. It looks as if maybe the driver's window was open and he removed the
    vent thru the window. You can't really see anything in his hand, but looks
    like he put something in his pocket. He walks off for a ways, then turns
    back to evidently take the passenger one....which looks like he also stuck
    in his pocket. Would those fit in your pants pocket? Kind of odd in a
    way he didn't just go from left side around to right side of the car.

16. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

Basically what youre saying is that this asshole not only stolen "the rarest accessories" in automotive history, he also broke them in the process?
    What a fkn idiot! Needs to be beaten bad!

17. No_Respect

No_Respect
    from So-Cal

Looks like he only took the metal that holds the glass and left the glass I say this because he appears to walk away empty handed and like 47plym said he put something in his pocket but he also looked like he set something inside the car or maybe he was unlocking the pass side? :mad:

18. No_Respect

No_Respect
    from So-Cal

He also walked away from the car before going back to the passenger side because he was scared or got scared (not a Professional):mad:

19. Heo

Heo

moves like a midleaged i think

20. Wally

Wally
    from Iowa

It looks like he touched the door and door handle. Would it be possible to get any finger prints? Could you check all the other hotels in the area for their videos? Looking for the same guy comming or going? Maybe he paid using his credit card. Local gas stations also have video cameras. He definetly knew what he was after and knew what he wanted. He also knew where the car was and how to remove them. I guess in other words he seen that car part before hand. Maybe at a show or whatever. I hope he gets caught. Good Luck!!

21. ELDANGEROSO

ELDANGEROSO

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned that who ever was operating the camera controls on the security camera knew something wasn't right or they wouldn't have zoomed in and out on that guy and followed his moves in the parking lot. It was pretty obvious the thief was up to no good. Were the hell was security on that one?

22. Antny

Antny
    BANNED
    from Noo Yawk

Sucks. Do those vent windows just pop right off? If this is footage of the thief taking them off, looks like he did it quite quickly and with no tools or much effort at all. :confused:

23. mbstude

mbstude

He thought to wipe off his finger prints on everything he touched. With the exception of the driver's door glass. According to the owner, the thief left a nice sample for the police.

It looks like he was scoping things out in the first video. Then doing the actual removal in the second video, which is some 15 minutes later. You'll also notice a hotel security guard walking up to the car in the second video. He asked the guy what he was doing and the thief's reply was "it's my car". I think these security guards are a bit useless if they don't check out suspicious activity further. It seems common sense to me that a car owner wouldn't be removing parts from his car at midnight during a week long show.

We'll get to the bottom of this eventually. But in the meantime, it's definitely good to get the word out there. Anything to keep this guy from trying to sell these parts. The more people that know about this the harder it will be for this guy to get away clean.

The car owner stated recently that "As it stands, if the thief comes to his senses and returns my property to myself or a fellow member to be returned to me, I'll let it drop. But if he waits till he is caught (and I'm confident with all the help I'm getting from fellow members, he will be identified) I will prosecute to the fullest extent of the law."

So there ya go.

24. im sure its only a matter of time. good luck.

25. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

Thats pretty good of him, i'd prolly chase him half way across America!

26. SakowskiMotors

SakowskiMotors

27. buckeye_01

buckeye_01

Thieves suck but why in hell was the car left unlocked so the rarest car part in history could be stolen? I am in no way advocating the theft of the goods.

28. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Low lifes seem to be everywhere these days. I'd say someone in the Studebaker bunch should be able to recognize the guy.

Looks to be in the 40/50 year old range to me but I could be off a bit.

It's pretty obvious that the guy knew the car and knew what he was after so he had probably been around the car at the meet during the day time. I'd check event photos to see if he shows up in at least one and one placing him near the car might be better.
    Owner of another 36? Guy with shop working on a 36? Guy who deals in "rare" Studebaker parts no matter how he comes up with them?

My guess is someone who has a 36 Dictator who actually doesn't know how rare the wind wings actually are but decided that he needs a set for his own car or project.

29. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

"""The car owner stated recently that "As it stands, if the thief comes to his senses and returns my property to myself or a fellow member to be returned to me, I'll let it drop. But if he waits till he is caught (and I'm confident with all the help I'm getting from fellow members, he will be identified) I will prosecute to the fullest extent of the law.""""

sadly, the fullest extent of the law is pretty much nothing.

30. Is there such thing as a Studie "registry"? Good chance they might have the where abouts of any of these cars still in existance and to whom they are registered. From what I gather in this thread, they probably only go on a similiar Studie. Hope you catch the P.O.S.