Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Rare Pontiac race car found

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Big Dad, Nov 6, 2008.

1. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

Here is one of 'em...

[​IMG]

2. Shoprag

Shoprag

We were jokin about, what if his brother in law has no idea how much its goin for and he's like yeah people must really like those pontiacs it went for 4500. LOL and brother in law gives him five for sellin it for him. LOL!!!

I'm with big dad on the hhmmm, my first time posting on the hamb, just randomlly happens to be on this thread. If i wasn't goin to church I woulda had the same response!!!

I wonder if he still wants a duffle bag full of green???

3. Zettle Bros.

Zettle Bros.

I would like to see a pic of the Grocery Getter with a hole cut in the nose. Axle, you have any pics?

4. This story has interest to me, for several reasons. Not the least of which, my uncle had a '63 Tempest LeMans convertible 326 3speed. Car was in "storage" since probably the late 60's.(sold around 1995?) He got so sick of the poor engineering and blowing transmissions he parked it.
    Finally in the late 70's/early 80's started converting it over to late model Firebird rear axle with SBC and conventional 4speed trans. As age and life creaped up on him he decided to sell it. ($1500??) Was a rare cordivan brown with gold top and interior. Very low miles, rust free and I wish I would have never let that thing leave the family. UGH!!:( Was in the midst of a nasty divorce and had almost no money or storage space.

Sad part of it, was my aunt, whom always talked about looking forward to riding in "her" car again, on a sunny day with the top down and hair blowing in the wind.
    JT

5. Big Dad

Big Dad

still at 84,800 with 12 hours to go ..

*DING* .. Popcorn is ready !

6. The37Kid

The37Kid

ditto

7. Mazooma, that's the only photo I've ever seen of Bob's Lemans. most likely at Fontana. Bob street raced in alot in L.A. and had less chance of meeting someone or giving up his times to other racers. I was probably in the pits that day. any chance you could send me a larger copy of that?

8. axle

axle
    from Drag City

You are 100% totally wrong! Didn't you read my post earlier ?

It IS confirmed ! This is a real SUPER DUTY CAR !

the VIN matches the documented build manifest in Pete's McCarthy's book that he got from the performance department at Pontiac way back in the early 1980's. at that time he was one of the very few people doing research on this sort of thing ! For those that don't know Pontiac is one of the only corporations that was good at keeping records on microfilm, and their historical records on their racing program (drag,nascar,trans am,etc) is no exception.

This is one of 8 SD intermediate cars.

6 Lemans Coupes

6 Tempest Wagons

2 Tempest Coupes

All cars were painted Cameo Ivory (white) except 2 - a silver mule car and Mickey Thompson's Blue car.

This guy obviously didn't know what he had. As a guy who has a long time Pontiac background i am speechless to say the least. It really shows that rare stuff still pops up every once in a while. The money this is going to be worth some day is going to waaaay up there !

Axle

9. axle

axle
    from Drag City

Yes, let me dig around.

10. Gee he wants CASH..to bad PayPal won't get a piece of the pie...he's listed PayPal as a payment method..I hope it will not cause him any problems..I wish him the best...it's a great early Christmas give!!:)

11. Asphalt Outlaw Hero

Asphalt Outlaw Hero
    from Dixie

For a "comp" (comperable sale), there was a swiss cheese Catalina sold for $440,000 at an auction in the last month.

12. Torque-Tube

Torque-Tube

It amazes me that this little car which is practically unknown today has a history that intersects with so many legendary stories. GM racing history, Smokey Yunick, NASCAR, "The Volkswagen Problem", Motor Trends 'Car of the Year', John DeLorean, Mickey Thompson, Muscle Cars, Corvette, Porsche, Ferrari and My Cousin Vinny all have known the little Tempest from the golden age. Everything from a six passenger 24mpg car to the high water mark in Pontiac Racing History in a single car with 50/50 weight distribution and IRS in the Sixties. Who knows, maybe today The Ultimate Driving Machine would be made in America if the Bean Counters were not running the show.

13. AlbuqF-1

AlbuqF-1
    from NM

You're right, I don't think you can change payment methods once there's a bid. PP will be getting $3k+ for this transaction, plus eBay's final value listing fees...

14. Velomech

Velomech
    BANNED
    from nunya

Well Boys, It goes tonight, cant wait to watch!

Cheers and beers
    Hodge

15. That car (or one really like it)sat in a backyard behind a chain link fence that was alley accessible near my house a few yrs ago. I could park in the alley and touch the car through the fence. My friend said it belonged to his dad in the 70's and Mickey T in the 60's. The guy left his girlfriend(who's house it was), and went back east with the car

16. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

One of the SD Lemans coupes was prepared by Ray Nichels and raced by Paul Goldsmith in the 250 Challenge Cup at the 1963 Speedweeks at Daytona. It was five miles ahead of every other car when it won the race, including Corvettes, Cobras and Ferraris. After the race it was allegedly bought by Mercedes-Benz, and no one's seen it since...makes you wonder what they did with it.

17. Boodlum

Boodlum

M-B bought Ray Nichols Daytona winning Pontiac before it went back on the trailer and shipped it directly to Germany. The LeMans had a 421. Just a few years later M-B introduced their own big inch V-8 engine called the "6.9". Guess how many cubes it was...?? Yeah, 421.

18. Velomech

Velomech
    BANNED
    from nunya

Wow, thats a pretty kickass piece of info.

Cheers
    Hodge
    still in with 101,000.00

19. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

I took that photo at Irwindale in 1966. I was Bob Porter's at the time. I had met him once and knew of his "reputation" in the San Gabriel Valley..
    I'll try to find that photo and post it bigger...

20. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

[​IMG]

Bob Porter, Irwindale. 1966

21. Big Dad

Big Dad

86,600 with 4 hours left ..

I'll take luck over skill any day

22. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

Only thing is the 6.9 Mercedes didn't show up until 1975, and it had overhead cams and a dry sump lubrication system...so, there probably wasn't a lot of similarity between it and the SD421 except for the displacement.

23. fuzzface

fuzzface

Starting to move up to $90,000 now.

24. jersey fink

jersey fink
    from jersey

and it was the fastest 4 door sedan of that time

25. Torque-Tube

Torque-Tube

Was that car running the SD Transaxle at the time?

26. $$90500.00 and it's not even close to being over. I've heard rumor of 1/4 mil to be bid in the closing minutes. Time will tell >>>>.

27. Thanks, I see the foothills in the background. Fontana ran straight at them. Bob sold it with the 422 in it and ran faster and quicker than micky's 421

28. Hot Rodz R Us

Hot Rodz R Us
    Member Emeritus

2 hours to go, I'm going to bed, have my sniper program set at 152,000.00. If that doesn't buy it, I didn't need it.....

29. hotrodpodo

hotrodpodo

According to the sellers info, the Nichels & Goldsmith car was "documented as destroyed." Who knows? The Nichels & Goldsmith name is legendary in this area. I have a good friend in his 60's who knew them well.

30. bryan6902

bryan6902

Had to bid just to say i bid on it! If 87K doesn't buy it I don't need it!