Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Rare Pontiac race car found

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Big Dad, Nov 6, 2008.

1. petritl

petritl
    from Marion, TX

I give the seller credit for not accepting a cash offer and ending the auction early. Could you imagine being a serious buyer and watching the auction disappear.

This has happened to me several times on eBay (on a much smaller scale).

2. buckeye_01

buckeye_01

3. Fish Tank

Fish Tank

Man, I really hope he has one of those spouses that's always giving him shit for buying/selling old rusty cars....time to put on his Gloat Coat!...lol

Lucky duck. Love seeing stuff like this happen even if it's not happening to me.

4. unclescooby

unclescooby
    from indy

Neat car and helluva score for sure. It still takes a backseat to the Delahaye that a guy that I recall being "T-shirtDave" or something on Ebay found in a field and sold for like $3M last year on Ebay. Either way, beats the Ebay philosophy of buy high, sell low, that I seem to have mastered. Glad to see this one found and in the right hands.

5. Bazooka

Bazooka

Don't want to post any incorrect info. edited my post.

6. octane

octane
    from Virginia

Geez, talk about a windfall. Cool piece of history.

7. jonzcustomshop

jonzcustomshop

kind of wierd, I was looking back on this auction, and the seller has changed his user name,aand the winning bidders name is not available anymore.
    I did find the winning bidders name on a post here, looked it up and it said he was out of new york.

I hope to see some stuff on the find/build come up in the pontiac/muscle car publications in the next few months

8. I think e-bay did that >>>>.

9. Jimv

Jimv

10. Pontiacres Ranch

Pontiacres Ranch

If anyone still cares, I was just on the phone with Dan Jensen about the Pure Stock Drags Shirts and was told that Scott Tieman was not a bidder on the auction will be doing this restoration for a guy out of NY. Ill be sure to go visit during the restoration & snap a few pics.

11. 53chevy

53chevy

This thread is great! Never knew about these type of cars and the "Special" parts in the Pontiac engine world. Oh! and sooo much info.

Ken

12. Guess what, the seller is still selling used $ 1.00 toys. I,d be long gone on vacation by now .

13. Jeeze, if I just sold a 220K car on eBay, I'd sure quit at least for this year.

On the other hand, the $1.00 toys probably do better than investing the $220K in the stock market, or even putting it in the bank, at this point...

14. phat rat

phat rat

Remember it was his brother in laws car

15. jonzcustomshop

jonzcustomshop

yes there was some discussion about that;)
    " hey honey, tell bob we sold that beat up tempest.... ask him if he wants $500.00 cash, or should we just write him a check?":D

16. GlassThamesDoug

GlassThamesDoug
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We will see................It should end up in a Pontiac Magazine when PHS decodes and prints the article.............or it will be in the Bear Stearns / AIG How not to invest best seller............or ART to investing...................HE HE HE

17. Big Dad

Big Dad

Anyone with a 6 month later update ?

1933_willys_77 likes this.
  18. HotGarbage

HotGarbage
    from Texas

19. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

The last I heard, the car is at Scott Tieman's shop in Michigan. Apparently they haven't yet been able to work out a deal with the people who own the aluminum front clip and the transaxle, so chances are a new aluminum front clip will be fabricated and they'll go with a conventional rear axle (which isn't necessarily a bad thing, as Stan Antlocer swapped in a big car Pontiac rear axle shortly after it was new and that's how it was raced.)

20. Big Dad

Big Dad

Too bad , I wish they would see eye to eye and make the car whole again
    I'm sure after paying 1/4 of a mill for the car the person would not limp in on a offer ..

Thanks for the update

21. James427

James427
    BANNED

I sure as hell would feel like a schmuck if I had held onto that front clip all of these years thinking the car itself was lost and then finding out the car was found and trying to strong arm the new owner so I could keep the parts seperated. But that's just me.

22. Big Dad

Big Dad

No, I don't think its just you ..I feel the same way !!!

23. beaulieu

beaulieu
    from So Cal

did anyone save a copy of the ebay listing , it does not come up anymore

Beaulieu

24. Big Dad

Big Dad

25. Dennis Holly

Dennis Holly

Car is being worked on, and will be "Beautiful" when done.

26. jpbanjo

jpbanjo
    Member Emeritus
    from Tulsa, Ok.

By the way, Big Dad, that guy you told to go fuck himself for expressing an early opinion about this car back in November happened to work for Pontiac Racing Division back in the 60's. I feel responsible for telling him about your thread and getting him to post. It was his first (and last) post to the HAMB thanks to you guys landing on him like a ton of bricks.
    He once owned the aluminum front end from Arnie Beswick's "Grocery Getter" and used it for a later Tempest that they raced called "Discontinued" because all the "Super duty" parts in the Pontiac catalog showed "discontinued. He still has all the original "Super Duty" manuals. He could have been a good source of information about these cars if you guys hadn't landed on him so hard for expressing a newbie early opinion on the car.

27. He posted twice after that initial F U post.... :confused:

28. agtw31

agtw31

those tranaxles were junk,just like those W-27 Olds aluminum carriers.

but just because they are rare,people will pay a boatload for them.

29. Big Dad

Big Dad

I am sorry I hurt his feelings ..

30. Dennis Holly

Dennis Holly

E-Bay car will be in primer next week. May be a chance to post pictures.