Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Rare find today for the Edsel lovers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dustin 257, Sep 17, 2022.

1. Dustin 257

Dustin 257
    from Dallas

Picked up 3 more edsels today. I really think I need help lol. Picked up a rare 58 citation convertible, 59 4 door Corsair, and a chop top 4 door pacer. Just couldn’t pass them up. They have been sitting since 94. 0E98CA7D-5678-4B3D-B1B9-42BB090E2D63.jpeg A37469C8-BF2A-4A1F-97A8-CB8D1A8189AB.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2022
  2. SS327

SS327

More pictures of all the cars would have been nice.

3. Flynn's_57

Flynn's_57
    from Nor*Cal

I own an Edsel but I sure don't love 'em. Got no help from the Edsel club, instead of fanning the fire they killed it.
    I loved my '57 Ford.
    The Edsel is the cheapest place-holder I could find.

The_Cat_Of_Ages likes this.
  4. Some more pics please .

SS327 likes this.

5. Greg Rogers

Greg Rogers

Love it, quite a parade you had there. I'll bet a lot of gawkers!

Tow Truck Tom and VANDENPLAS like this.
  6. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

That ragtop looks great congratulations

Tow Truck Tom and VANDENPLAS like this.
  7. BJR

BJR

You have a sickness and need help!!!:D:D:D

57JoeFoMoPar and VANDENPLAS like this.
  8. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

How about some more of the back story?

winduptoy and VANDENPLAS like this.
  9. Dustin 257

Dustin 257
    from Dallas

Thanks for the compliments. More pics to come.

backstory, met this fellow while buying his 59 wagon. These cars was his dads and he had passed. Last registration is 94 on a couple of them. After purchasing the wagon the son showed me the rest of the cars in a different building. Come to find out the dad bought the citation in some town middle of Louisiana in 1966. It was sitting in a field with the top down. Been garage kept ever since. Not sure on how he bought the rest of the cars. The 59 Corsair 4 door I think will clean up nice. Motor is free no spark (according to the previous owner) seems to be all original including the paint. Very little to no rust that I can find. The pink one in the rear of first photo, had a tree fall on it so the owner cut the top of. It actually drives and has the rare 3 speed manual with OD. It does have some rust in the floor and a pillar.

10. Dustin 257

Dustin 257
    from Dallas

First time to see light in 30 years

Attached Files:

11. Dustin 257

Dustin 257
    from Dallas

Here is the first one I bought from him. 59 wagon. All original interior in great shape. Put new carpet in it. All new brake system, fuel system, cooling system cleaned, and ignition runs great. Getting new tires then it’s road worthy.

Attached Files:

12. Flathead Freddie

Flathead Freddie

Wow ! This is fantastic ! Great to be looking at this thread during breakfast . I'm 60 now but I remember when we were kids we made fun of Edsel and I think it had a lot to do with my granddaddy was a bonafide caddy freak . He was lost man without one , well he downed that they didn't have a full grille but they sure make up for it in brite and long body panels . How much that hood weigh ?? Lol !
    Funny thing is we have two 1/18 scale Edsel Citation conv one in pink for Erika and mine is black and we display them together in the entry hall on their own table with a front corner touching and everyone is wooed by them . We do hope you keep them together they like triplets that's a very special find your going to have a great time with them I do hope they stay affordable for you and we really appreciate you sharing , so fine indeed !!

Last edited: Sep 18, 2022
    Tow Truck Tom likes this.
  13. Dustin 257

Dustin 257
    from Dallas

Flathead I do plan on keeping them all together. The citation will get a full restore in a couple years. The 59 we will get it running like the wagon. Hopefully. The hood actually isn’t all that heavy.

Flathead Freddie likes this.
  14. Dustin 257

Dustin 257
    from Dallas

Got the 59 unloaded. In pretty good shape minus one pole dent on the pass side front. 43BB43B0-39FB-4FBD-8237-17E423A70A80.jpeg 095D4717-3424-4357-94E1-1C745B3F0F92.jpeg E1855C7C-3209-4D7D-8207-991EE08CA6B9.jpeg

15. Yea, you have a problem. :D

16. On a serious note...congrats! Looks like some good cars there. :cool:

17. Tow Truck Tom

Tow Truck Tom
    from Clayton DE

I Hope the revival goes well.
    Thanks for the pics. Will be looking

18. Flathead Freddie

Flathead Freddie

I have a couple of suggestions from my experience when my clients obtain or get their cars from deep storage invest in Armor All or a quality like product Ilike Chemical Guys products for rejuvenating dry upholstery stitching before you sit in it I'm sure you hear the crunching when sitting in the seats that is the stitching thread dryed out and breaking and same goes with headliner it though is real hard to work with so I suggest when at speed you roll windows up for now when you feel the wind coming through you start compromising the stitching in headliner also but everytime I spray a headliner it comes undone anyway but the door rubber seals need some liquid life I use silicone in a tube a non-alcohol or acetone product . Straight silicone in a tube no not the glues just Silicone .If not to be found I would use the Chemical Guys Rubber rejuvenating and Armor All second though I think the Armor All has acid type chemicals in it and most rejuvenation products do but basically some rejuvenation is better than none . Upholstery is alot of bucks to replace so if you can give it some life it will last alot longer

SuperKONR, bobss396 and Tow Truck Tom like this.
  19. indyjps

indyjps

Murphys oil soap is great for old dried out upholstery, cleans and gets some oils back into it, very gentle.

SuperKONR, VANDENPLAS, SS327 and 2 others like this.
  20. Flathead Freddie

Flathead Freddie

When I come to Russ Nomore for my 32 body in 2024 I will look you up from your HAMB profile Id like to visit if alright

21. Flathead Freddie

Flathead Freddie

Awesome thank you do you dilute it or full strength ?

22. Dustin 257

Dustin 257
    from Dallas

A0862E44-322E-4598-B3F7-8A484FDEC54F.jpeg Flathead you are more than welcome to come by and any time. I’m actually east of Dallas by 45 minutes. And I’m a pretty Anal guy when it comes to these cars. We try and not to sit in the seat if we don’t have to until it gets 2-3 rounds of the chemical guys vinyl treatment.

we did try and start the 59 today. (Before you give me a hard time, past owner had already and turned the motor over last week) we pulled the plugs and soaked the cylinders. Also pulled valve covers and soaked valve train. My son changed his first set of points. And got to set the gap. It tried to fire and did but the throttle blades are stuck closed and will not open. Got the carb off and soaking in diesel for a couple days while I’m at work. Heat and PB didn’t free up the blades.

I’ve never had a carb that the shaft has gotten frozen up in the carb.

23. Dustin 257

Dustin 257
    from Dallas

Thank you sir. I will try some. I’ve been using chemical guys stuff lately.

24. Dustin 257

Dustin 257
    from Dallas

Thank you sir. We’ll do our best on getting them back on the road. I just posted the 59 tried to fire.

guthriesmith likes this.
  25. Dustin 257

Dustin 257
    from Dallas

Soooooooo, got the citation in the shop. Previous owner hooked a battery to it and tried to start it and just heard a click. Motor probably has 3-5 k miles on it but been sitting since 94. We pulled plugs and used a full can of PB in the cylinders. Also pulled valve covers and soaked again. We’ll let it soak for a couple days then try to turn the motor over with a wrench.

hotrodharry2 likes this.
  26. Dustin 257

Dustin 257
    from Dallas

27. Dustin 257

Dustin 257
    from Dallas

AND before you ask the green one on the rotisserie is my sons. We’ve been waiting for an engine for 6 months. Correct MEL pistons take 7-9 months to make from wiesco. It’s an original 58 Corsair 2 door hard top. Frame and all other components are done. Just waiting on engine and trans so we can put the body back on.

28. indyjps

indyjps

Mix per the label, 1/4 to 1/2 cup per gallon water. Soft bristle brush or towel. Wipe with clean wet towel, dry. It's very mild soap.

29. Squablow

Squablow

The '59 looks like it'll clean up nice, and the '58 convertible is a real treasure, with factory tach even! Is that a custom rear window on the convertible top, or did they all have a wraparound like that? Never saw one like it before. I could see how it'd be useful.

Shame they hacked the roof off of the 4 door '58 but if that one could be combined with the convertible to make a nicer convertible it wouldn't be a shame to me. A stick convertible would be pretty cool, although the Teletouch in '58 is also a neat piece.