Register now to get rid of these ads!

Rare factory"Options"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Trichop, Mar 30, 2012.

1. ronnieroadster

ronnieroadster

My Deuce roadster has the rare factory delete fenders and running boards, Back in 32 they were sold without those parts called the economy model. Well at least that's what I tell the lawman when pulled over for running with no fenders. ;)

Spooky likes this.
  2. topfuel55

topfuel55
    from Hebron IN

3. topfuel55

topfuel55
    from Hebron IN

Mr57 I have one of those 4 speed Monte Carlos. 402 4 speed no air no power steering! Black on black HT. MY DAD bought it from the VW dealer he worked at. It was not even a year old ( neither was I) guy ordered it in Arkansas traded it even over for a new bug. Dad gave it to me in '97. I have lusted over that car my whole life.

4. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

I have one of those, from a '68 LeMans with a 350, I didn't realize Olds used them too. Pontiac called them a "Dearborn" (makes sense, since that's where it came from, just like Muncies came from Muncie, Indiana and Saginaws came from Saginaw, Michigan) - just a Ford 3.03 Toploader 3-speed with a GM-size front bearing retainer. Pontiac bellhousings even had the proper holes pre-drilled for the Ford trans pattern.

5. gmhillbilly

gmhillbilly

That's fucking hillarious, I don't care who you are. I think it was called " the boring overdone option.

Spooky likes this.
  6. chris' 38

chris' 38

Speaking of montes...
    I was selling a 1970 monte needing work. Guy calls and asks about intake manifold. Drives 10 hours to buy. Loading it on trailer, he Fs up whole passenger side including mint door. Says he doesn't care, only needed manifold because it was correct for his one of four- 350 four speed bench seat - don't know what other options. Rest is going to scrap. I was like dam dude I would've sold you the part and shipped it for a lot less than $1700.

7. A friend of mine has a 64 Comet Caliente 4 Dr with a K in the serial number. Though not a real K motor it does have the correct manifold on it for a 271 HP. The real K motor was scheduled to be installed in the 64 Comet but Ford Exec's (Lee Iococca) would not let that be done. They wanted the 271 to be in Ford's only. Still more to the story.
    Back in the 70's, I had a 60 T-Bird with the sunroof.
    Not sure how rare it was but I had a 68 Mustang Coupe with a black bench seat, factory A/C, & a black vinyl roof. Body color was dark blue.
    My first car in 1966 was a 57 Ford Retractable HT with a 312/auto. I found a complete T-Bird 2x4 setup in a local junk yard for $50 and put it on the Ford.
    I had a 63 Buick Electra 4 Dr Sedan with no options. Auto trans, power steering and brakes were standard. It must have been the cheapest one built in 63.

8. I once owned a 67 Fairlane GTA convertible that came from the factory with a 390/C6 column shift with no console. Never saw another one like it. But I don't live in Ford country so there may have been more made that way.

9. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

1956 Ford dealer installed Performance option B6A-9000-B ( 2 four barrel carbs, manifold, air filter, etc) for law enforcement and used in racing ( NASCAR) image.jpeg

lothiandon1940, Oilguy, jnaki and 2 others like this.
  10. Late 60's some of my friends and I raced motorcycles. In the winter ice racing was popular around here. "Tractionized" tires (rough ground) were allowed, spiked tires were not. They used to spread sand for "traction" in the corners but nothing in the straights. I worked at a gas station and we used to sell those cans of AC Liquid Tire Chain. Bought a couple of cans and would spray my tires before lineup at the starting line. Didn't last long but just enough to get started. Kind of like Smokey Yunick I suppose......

Hamtown Al likes this.
  11. A bunch of oddball cars over the years. 64 Chrysler Newport 4 door with a 4 speed manual, a 66 Olds 88 4 door equipped the same way but with A/C. My old O/T 66 Pontiac 2+2, tinted glass, AM-FM, 4 speed, base 421 engine, power windows, manual steering and brakes, with a rear window defogger. My at present 67 2+2 was 428/376 hp, 3.42 posi, three speed manual, tinted windshield only, AM-FM Stereo (1st year offered) remote mirror, manual windows, manual steering and brakes. Had to help move some cars for a friend one night, drove a 66 Belvedere base model 2 door sedan. Manual steering, brakes, 4 speed Hemi. He was selling it at his lot. It took all I had to not stand on the noise pedal real hard......

12. Recently had to test drive and evaluate a car my employer bought for his "toy box". 60 Catalina
    convertible. 3 speed on the column. Went to a Buck swap meet a few years back, 64-5 Riviera right hand drive for sale. Pretty rusty but still interesting.

13. My fire chief out west had a O/T 68 Impala SS 396 3 speed column shift. With A/C too.

14. 'Mo

'Mo

Don't know if this has been covered, but is an actual fact.

1941 Chevy Sport PU.

[​IMG]

lothiandon1940 and tinsled like this.
  15. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

Studebaker had a very similar option (built by Edwards Iron Works of South Bend, IN).[​IMG]

lothiandon1940 and tinsled like this.
  16. The real 'K' motor never got production-installed in Comets (or Falcons for that matter) because the hi-po exhaust manifolds wouldn't clear the steering box and Ford couldn't fit a proper dual exhaust that met their noise standards. But lots of people got excited when they saw that 'K' engine code on the '64 Comet data plates... LOL. For whatever reason, Mercury used the K instead of the Ford D code for '64 Comet production cars with a 289/4V. Now, Mercury did install some real K code motors in Comets; they built 10 or 12 (depending on where you look) '64 Calientes for promotional purposes (100,000 Miles at 100 MPH at Daytona!) but those used a 'D' (for 'Daytona') code, just adding to the confusion. Mercury built another handful in '65 (with the 'right' K code) but these were sold as B/FX cars (with the 'standard' single exhaust and a 4 Weber carb setup in the trunk!) to certain racers, notably Doug Nash. He later used this motor to power his aluminum-framed Bronco funny car. Ford of Canada supposedly also built 50 '65 Falcons with K code 289s to make them legal for NHRA in Canada as they didn't get the Mustang right away.

17. Ray C's son

Ray C's son

I bought a 66 Chevy Belair or Impala wagon in '76 or so for $40. It was a standard wagon, PS, PB, nothing special but it had a factory AM/FM radio. I hadn't seen one before or since. I drove the car for a year, sold it for a hundred bucks and got $40 for the radio. Must have been rare, the guy was real happy to have it.
    Kevin

18. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

I'm pretty sure anyone LISTENING to FM radio in 66 was rare unless you played an instrument which included a bow. :rolleyes:

19. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

My Studebaker is one of the rarest optioned trucks of its year. 1959 Scotsman (the stripped down, economy/fleet 1/2 ton) but factory optioned with the 259 V8 and a Cruise-O-Matic automatic transmission. Supposedly it is one of 61...
    [​IMG]

20. SUSQ

SUSQ

About 1975 or so, I was a teenager checking out used cars on the local lots. Saw and test drove a 1971 Monte Carlo with a 350 under the hood and a factory 4-speed. While a first generation Monte Carlo with a factory 4-speed isn't necessarily rare, it's the only one I've ever seen with a bench seat interior. Was most likely a two barrel as it had the acceleration of a sack of potatoes. I'm guessing not too many first gen bench seat 4-speed Monte Carlo's were made but I could be wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

21. Fordors

Fordors

Window sticker from my factory ordered '73 Cutlass S, 350/4 speed, AC, gauge package, etc. I got a phone call later in the day from the owner of the dealership asking if I was sure I wanted that car, he was afraid he might get stuck with it if I backed out. Of course I did, why else would I have put a deposit down on it? Surprised a lot of low horse smog era 'vettes with it! Scan0022.jpg

tinsled and LOU WELLS like this.
  22. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Guys
    This car is so far off of the HAMB radar so I won't include a photo, but it is probably one of the rarest of its breed but has a pretty narrow range of interest.
    In the mid/late 70's I drove a car belonging to a young woman that I later found was married, but that's another kettle of fish.:eek:
    It was a 73 or 74 Pontiac Grand Am four door, factory 400/4 speed.
    I bet hubby would not like hearing how much I enjoyed that car!

23. Arominus

Arominus

My 57 desoto is a total stripper, the only option is the side trim and a cool silver/black interior Powerflight 2 speed, 325 2bbl and thats it.

The rare stuff I've got is a factory A/C from a 58 firedome and a rear defroster blower from a 58 new yorker along with the 392 from that new yorker.

24. DEL COKLEY

DEL COKLEY

factory padded dashes first year was 1956. but would fit in a 1955 chevrolet

25. upspirate

upspirate

Late '73 I bought a new GTO . Only option was an AM radio
    Most GTO's had quarter window louvers, mine had glass.
    Bench seat, 400 ci , 3spd on floor, ralley II wheels and polyglass wide ovals,GTO suspension,GTO NASA style hood scoops , no PS,no PB no a/c ( in Fla !)

26. Model A Vette

Model A Vette

A friend had a '64 2dr chevelle wagon with bench seat, 283 & 4sp.
    One.of my first jobs with company cars had a fleet of '78 Impalas. They had leased them when they were nationwide and pulled them back to NY when that went away. If an Impala needed service they would have us drop it off at Goodyear Service and tell us to pick another car from the back yard.
    There was one non-Impala that the guys would fight to get. It was a '78 California spec Nova,white with white vinyl top, white interior, V8 (maybe 350) and console shifter.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2017
  27. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2017-7-8_3-56-55.png
    Hello,

Much has been said and popularized about the 409 Chevy options. But In 1958, there were a bunch of factory options for my brother’s black Impala. The main thing he wanted was the big 348. But, he could not afford the 315 HP option package,( very rare in 58) so he opted for the 280 HP version. (in 1959, the popular, not so rare, factory set up was the 315 HP model) It still had the 3 carbs and a 3 speed. I remember sitting down with him in the dealer’s office and ordering the options.

Back then, you had to order the “heavy duty” stuff, such as the clutch, front springs, shocks, radiator, generator, battery, rear springs and of course, the 4:11 Posi-traction rear gears. The stock version was 3:55. Later, we ordered the 4:56 gear complete 3rd member for easy swapping, after a few months of savings.

Jnaki
    Being in that dealer's office ordering these parts with my brother and my dad sitting there was something. I had wished that the car was for me. All of the goodies that could be ordered for a "new" car was really something to a young teenager. But, my brother was proud that he could afford to buy a new car with the money that he saved from his job and selling his 1951 mild custom, Olds sedan. My dad was there just to co-sign since my brother was 17 at the time.

upload_2017-7-8_3-41-8.png
    upload_2017-7-8_3-41-28.png
    upload_2017-7-8_3-41-50.png
    upload_2017-7-8_3-42-18.png
    upload_2017-7-8_3-44-30.png upload_2017-7-8_3-44-44.png
    upload_2017-7-8_3-45-6.png
    upload_2017-7-8_3-45-31.png

tinsled and Model A Vette like this.
  28. uncleandy 65

uncleandy 65

In 1957 my aunt bought a new 57 Chevy 2dr. post Belair with a padded dash. I don't think I have ever seen another one with that option.

29. Not all that rare. My second 57 had one.

30. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Here's an odd one. From the ad:

RARE....1964 Chevy 3 door crew cab K10
    Possibly a 1 of 1 with all of its options. The story behind no it is that it was ordered for the railroad this way and once the dealership got it ...the railroad had decided they didn't need it anymore, so it was sold local to a farmer. It is an original 4x4 with dealer ad on AC.

[​IMG]