Register now to get rid of these ads!

Rare 55-62 Chevy pickup limited-slip

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by zrdtech, Mar 14, 2014.

1. zrdtech

zrdtech
    from Montana

Hi all,

I've come seeking advice from all of you knowledgeable folks. Please redirect me if you think I'm posting in the wrong forum.

I have come into posession of a complete Eaton-style limited-slip unit in great condition for the 55-62 Chevy 1/2 ton pickup rear end. I've seen this differential called the Eaton HO32 or 33. Very little good info out there on it, but it is indeed what it is. A 1960 Chevy truck manual shows this posi was available.

My question involves value. A local acquaintance is interested in this piece, but has not made an offer. I have also not given him a price. I have nothing to go by, because I've never seen one of these sold before. I don't want to insult the guy that wants it, but I know these pieces are very uncommon. Would anyone here be comfortable suggesting what price I should ask?

Thanks in advance.

2. squirrel

squirrel

3. zrdtech

zrdtech
    from Montana

Well, for $75, I certainly wouldn't risk insult.

4. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

You probably should check out the Stovebolt page or any GMC sites since trucks are the main interest there.

5. squirrel

squirrel

This posi was first used in 1960. I didn't even realize they existed. I have a 59 chevy pickup posi rearend, it's a Dana.

6. Your part is definitely uncommon, haven't seen hardly any of those. If you're doing a full restoration and originality/accuracy is critical, then you could probably get a pretty decent price for it.

The main issue is that there is a very limited parts availability for the Eaton rear ends. If it needs parts, you might be hosed. A lot of the guys with the heavy duty Eaton rear ends have changed theirs out to the later Dana rear ends because they couldn't find parts to freshen up their Eaton units.

You have just the center section (the drop out)? I think that $75 is too low of a price. I'd ask $150-$200 and see if the buyer bites on it. If he's dead-set on having a posi and wants to keep his original rear end, then I think he'll go for it. Tell him to go and try and find one somewhere else if he doesn't like the price!

If the potential buyer isn't interested, then become a member of www.67-72chevytrucks.com and place a for sale ad. I feel confident that one of the members there will gobble that thing right up.

7. Ranunculous

Ranunculous

Are these the ones with the "P" on the front of the case?

8. squirrel

squirrel

That's the cars, not the trucks.

9. Ranunculous

Ranunculous

Thanks,Squirrel! 17-splined axles ?

10. squirrel

squirrel

something like that, they're coarse spline

Tuck center sections are round, cars are oval

11. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

Do you have any photos? Is this a drop out style center section like the open truck rear ends, or is it like a 10 or 12 bolt rear axel?

12. zrdtech

zrdtech
    from Montana

This is a C-clip, drop-out third member differential that has a rear cover as well. I have the entire rear axle, drum to drum. It is NOT an integral axle like the corporate 10 or 12-bolt.

The only issue with this unit is that the clutch guides were broken. The clutch plates use square tabs with guides, unlike the later square tab plates that used no guides. The square tabs of Camaro 10-bolt posi plates are too wide to drop into the recesses of the pickup posi.

The clutch discs are the same diameter as all of the Eaton clutches I have on hand, and the inner spline count is the same as many, including those in the Pontiac/Olds 9.3" Eaton Safe-T-Track/Anti-Spin unit. The Pontiac clutch plates use round tabs with guides.

So, a guy could either build clutch guides, or machine down some later style, square-tab plates to fit directly into the recesses of the carrier, assuming no guides are availabe used or n.o.s.

Side gears are for 17-spline axles.

The posi does not use preload springs of any sort.

13. zrdtech

zrdtech
    from Montana

This is the bare carrier.

Struggling to upload images, bear with me.

Attached Files:

14. squirrel

squirrel

3776936 or 3789939 might be the GM part numbers for the guides. Probably not easy to find. They changed the design in 1961

15. zrdtech

zrdtech
    from Montana

Here's what the center section looks like for those interested. Squirrel, I'm gonna reference those numbers and see what pops up. Thanks for the info.

Attached Files: