Register now to get rid of these ads!

Rapid Rabbit #112 Build Thread

Discussion in 'HA/GR' started by 64 DODGE 440, Jun 18, 2007.

1. REJ

REJ
    from FLA

Looks like the west coast and east coast are thinking alike on some things. My exhaust are swept back and down and there are six of them, and they sound so good!!
    You guys keep on building out there and meet us in Mokan one year so we can have some fun.
    Robert

2. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

That's our goal.......to one day have the First Annual East/West HA/GR Match Races. :D

3. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Got my manifold flange drilled. Discovered that Liquid Wrench Super Penetrant is a great cutting fluid for using with a hole saw in the drill press, low speed and light feed pressure and it cut like butter.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. leon renaud

leon renaud
    from N.E. Ct.

I thought those white tubes looked like wing struts!I seem to remember a couple of rails built in the late 50s out of wing strut tubing for frame rails one was drilled full of appx.2 inch holes the full length.the other thing I remember about that car was everything but the body tin was painted white engine and all.

5. dixiedog

dixiedog

Not to be nosey but what brand hole saw do you use?

I love this build, it's different. I am interested to see how this front end is going to work with a single point of the frame and 1/4 elliptics. How the hell is that going to work?

My best buddy up here just had a 2 way bypass over Christmas (we are both 45), we used to work out together last fall and we had his bench press up to 185lbs and now he just works out with light weights on machines. Told me the pillow trick about coughing, wouldn't talk to me because all I do is crack jokes and he couldn't laugh.

Keep up the fight,

6. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

I used Lenox Bi-Metal hole saws that I bought at Lowe's, made in USA and I've been happy with the results. Previously I have used Blu-Mol hole saws with equally good results.

The single point chassis should work well with the single 1/4 elliptic spring.

This car of John Ewald inspired me at the 2007 CHRR at Famoso.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 11, 2010
  7. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

8. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

Those are cool Tom, plenty of down force:D are you and the misses going to the ANRA race saturday?

9. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

That "stacks up" pretty good, Tom. :D (Sorry 'bout that one. :rolleyes:)

Looking forward to seeing some carbon in'em. :cool:

10. nexxussian

nexxussian

MMMMMMMM, Stackage:D.

11. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Sorry Rocky, we're going to miss the ANRA meet this weekend. Too much stuff on the home front right now.

Get that tractor into the 14s and keep Dick honest.:D

12. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Well DAMN!!! CRAP, CRAP, CRAP!!!

After finally starting to make progress, another delay.......

Thought that my problems were over, (see post #35 of 1.19.2008, this thread), things have been going well since I got back into working on the car and then I hear that laughing again.

Last Friday I had my eyes dilated as part of a "normal" eye exam and that evening my heart rate had jumped up to 129, (it was 59 that morning and has been running in the high 50s to mid 60s since early March). It seems that the drops they use to dilate your eyes contains atropine and it effects some people more than others and I'm one of the "lucky ones".

That sent me back into Atrial Fibrillation and now I have two more pills to take each day and am on a "no strenuous activity" regimen for the next month or more depending on results. The cardiologist said I can walk about "at a slow pace or stroll, but no work", so here we go again, just as I felt that we were starting to make some real progress.

On the bright side, my name has avoided showing up in the obituaries and I'm still seeing grass when I go outside, not dirt and roots, so life is good. I guess it will give me some more "engineering time" for the little details and more time to read.

Hang in there folks, you ain't rid of me yet, I'm damn well gonna have a roller by the end of the year. Got the parts and gonna build the thing on way or another. Just frustrated by the circumstances and delays, but still inspired to get it together.

Think I am going to have to run some of that high priced gas through the '64 and go mark some pavement for an attitude adjust.

13. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Yeah, go paint some street, always helps the attitude. Just don't get stupid and actually enjoy it, that might up your heart rate again. :p

Sorry Tom, couldn't resist that one. :eek:

You'd think they'd have given you a list of the various drugs that'd affect your condition rather than let you find out the hard way. Oh well, at least it's one mistake you won't remake.

By the way, if you want'em you can have a pair of the rims I got for the Ford rear. You know, 'cause of how I feel so sorry for ya and all ....... :D
    Actually we only need two of'em so the rest are just in the way, and in my garage that's a problem. They're certainly strong enough.

Let me know, I'll be out your way sometime next week again.

14. Hudsonator

Hudsonator
    from Tennessee

I'm a mopar flatty fan, I hate your situation is slowing you down.

I'd like to hear those pipes sing. The SU's are sexadelic.

Hud

15. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Don't worry, it's gonna sing. This is just one of those three steps forward, one step back deals.

Just need to get my ignition re-timed and we'll be makin' some beautiful noises.:cool:

Got a pile of parts and pieces to put together and things will really start lookin' good.:D

I didn't get my new birthday in January to sit on my butt and watch the fun happen, I'm gonna get out there and make it happen!

16. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

Tom, Glad to hear your OK, that's the most important #1 thing! Just have that car ready for next year so we can all get together. Rocky

17. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

That's my intent Rocky. Somebody needs to get out there and run slower than you. :D

We may be slow, but I doubt that we will ever stage next to a car that will be the same.:cool:

18. 348chevy

348chevy

You know at the Tulsa nostagia races that was really a common comment was that there were no two cars alike. That is what is fun about this class is ingenuity. We do not have any cookie cutter cars like the NHRA touring clowns.:DRoy

19. Hudsonator

Hudsonator
    from Tennessee

I'm still diggin' the stacks.

Stacks and side suckers, just what snappy 230's are made of.

Hud

20. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Gonna work good on the 218 too. The short stroke should make up for the slightly lower displacement.

21. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Good news (finally).

Friday morning I'm getting my timing reset.......(they are doing a procedure called a cardioversion that puts my heart back into proper rhythm, hopefully third time is charm), and once I get back up to speed, we'll start making some real progress on the car. Been doing about an hour a day with my "no strenuous activity" regimen and hope to have some pictures in the next week or so of real parts going together.

Thanks to all for your support and good wishes.

22. REJ

REJ
    from FLA

Good luck on your procedure, we'll be seeing a lot of progress on the car I'm sure.
    We have to take care of ourselves first, if we are going to enjoy what we do.
    Robert

23. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

Great News Tom!

24. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Well, last Friday was successful, they zapped me and got the timing reset and all appears to be running well once again sooooooo.:D

PROGRESS!!

Got the intake and exhaust plumbing all done and making some more progress on the chassis layout, and now that I have the rear axle,(an 8" Ford) it will be much easier to get things stuck together. Hope to have a roller by the end of the year so I can at least push it aroung and make car noises.:D

The plumbing:

[​IMG]

The mock up:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 21, 2008
  25. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Jesus Tom, an eight FOOT Ford rear? :eek: They'll certainly need to widen the bleach box some. :p :D

Ah, I see you've narrowed it to an 8", must've been a bit of work in that. Don't you think 8" may be just a tad too narrow?

Plumbing's looking great, sir.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2008
  26. 348chevy

348chevy

Do you guys on the left coast have a warehouse stocked with sidesucker carbs?:pRoy

27. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Sure, ya just go to Sidesuckers R Us and pick 'em up.

Actually, mine came from an old Volvo we had back in the mid '70s.

They are out there, you just need to hunt a bit and there are several shops that have rebuilts and kits available. Just google SU carburettors.

28. You are gonna get rid of the "trans brake"?
    It is gonna be one cool rail. I'm pullin fuer ya
    Don
    PS crane used to have some nice cammasters for those motors. i did some classic boat engines and had them put one grind on my core. Worked wonderful and is still working great 15years later so i hear. i forget who i talked to but he was most interested and very helpful. (Many Marine engines also had dual carbs although your SUs will be far better.
    Don.

29. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Thanks for the kind words, Don.

The "trans brake" is removed, just haven't pulled the drum. May keep the drum as a rear flywheel or just extra ballast to help with the traction so I don't smoke the tires through the lights.:D

30. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Visible progress today.......:cool:

Finally started welding bits together and the basic chassis is ready to hang brackets on and put the axles under her. As I previously said it's a triangle made from Model T Ford rails, simple, rigid and light.

Next step is to achieve "roller status" and then start hanging the important bits on it.:D

First picture is from the right front.

[​IMG]

Second picture is from the left rear.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 23, 2008