Register now to get rid of these ads!

Rapid Rabbit #112 Build Thread

Discussion in 'HA/GR' started by 64 DODGE 440, Jun 18, 2007.

1. storm king

storm king

I certainly agree with that! On cars limited to 6 inch tires, the baddest motor has nothing to do with it.
    I'm pretty sure we're going to begin building one, using a 170 inch slant six. I'm thinking about 6- 1 barrel carbs just for fun!

2. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

WOW.......

As the saying goes, life is what happens while we are making other plans. Sorry to have been away for a bit, but you guys seem to have kept the fires burning.

The Rabbit build has suffered a short delay, but it will be done once I get past this minor setback. First, here is a copy of the e-mail I sent out to my friends yesterday to bring you all up to date.

"Many of you have heard some of this already, though some probably have not, so now that I'm home and on the mend I'll send out my official "not dead yet" E-mail.

At approximately 0200 on Monday morning January 7.2008, I had the "wake up call of my life", and woke up my wonderful wife, Patti and said that we really needed to go to the hospital.......I really didn't know what was wrong but my body was telling me after many years of not seeing doctors, that the time had come to see one.

On arrival at the ER, my blood pressure was174/120 and my pulse rate was 174 and I felt like my body was running in hyper drive.

After getting admitted and having many tests it was determined that my arteries were not clogged, (despite my eat anything way of living), but the Mitral Valve in my heart was torn and would need to be fixed.

On January 10th I had open heart surgery, they were able to repair the valve, and Wednesday afternoon I was able to come home and now the healing begins.

Having never previously had my chest pulled apart, I must say that the experience of coughing in the smallest way will really open your eyes wide.

Don't expect a lot of communication from me for a while, my voice is still weak from the breathing tube that I had in my throat, and doctors orders are no driving and no lifting more than 10lbs for the next six weeks.

Thank you all for your good thoughts, prayers and continued support.

Life is good on the lunatic fringe, and much more appreciated these days, hugs and love to all, Tom"

I believe the line in the song says something to the effect of "if you want to hear God laugh, tell him your plans". MAN.......I haven't heard that kind of laughter in a long time.

I guess I have some extra engineering time for the project that will help with the progress when the welder gets fired up. This is still gonna be one kick ass race car, and I plan on running it as much as I can, heads up, against anybody that will take the other lane. It ain't if we get there first.......it's the getting there that makes it all worth while. I've been given the chance to live the dream, and it's keeping the smiles working full time.

Maybe not as soon as we planned, but we'll be seeing you in the pits and staging lanes.

2008.......the start of the Wild Hare Racing "Not Dead Yet Tour!!"

3. Ron Golden

Ron Golden

Tom,
    Glad to know your still kickin....maybe not too high, but still kickin.

Ron

4. 348chevy

348chevy

I know what you mean about the cough. I had bypass surgery and afterwards I developed a little chest conjestion. What would be considered a mild cough is like someone kicking you in the nuts only the pain is in your chest. I found by hugging a pillow it helped. Do what the Doctor says you don't want to go back. Get well! :)Roy

5. Rand Man

Rand Man

Get well soon. Get to work on that "to do' list when you can.

6. Oilcan Harry

Oilcan Harry
    from INDY

My best wishes for a full and speedy recovery. I see you've decided to go with the cafeteria bucket seat. Great choice! Light weight, driver securing bucket style, and mustard and ketchup proof. Not to mention those handy seat belt mounts right on the side. Perfect! lol

7. get well soon...
    ...so my flathead six can WHUP your flathead six!!!!!!!!!!!

8. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

I'm baaaack.......after a bit over three months I opened the hangar today and the parts are still there.......so I did the logical thing and started tinkering and measuring a bit more. I'm even able to lift the transmission and such so things should start to happen now.

Need to scrounge a few more bits and then my first goal is to have a rolling chassis this summer or if I get lucky maybe even late spring!

Good to feel that things are starting to come together. No visible progress, but I'll put some pictures in as soon as the work shows.:D

We be havin' some fun now!!!

9. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

Glad to hear things are good, Lifting a Tranny:eek: What are you doing for a rear end?

10. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

The tranny wasn't really that much, it's a 1934 Dodge trans and probably only weighs about 25 pounds.

Haven't really decided on the rear axle yet, I think I have a 7.25 from a '72 Dart being donated, but it will most likely be from a Mopar whatever it is. Brand loyalty.:D

11. Rand Man

Rand Man

Come on, build that thing.

12. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Progress is being made. It doesn't show yet, but will soon.:D

13. 97

Hanger eh ,

Well that answers the question I was going to ask about the Lycoming parts lying around.

14. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Actually they are Continental parts, not Lycoming, but yes we have an aircraft in there too.

Our other toy is a 1946 Aeronca Champ, 90 horsepower conversion in military L16B trim.

Need to get some pictures taken so I can post them.

15. REJ

REJ
    from FLA

Tom, I know I am a long way from you, but I have a rear out of a 61 Dart laying around gathering dust. If you need it and can figure out a way to get it out there, let me know. I would be glad to donate it to the cause.
    Robert

16. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Thanks for the offer, but I'm pretty sure that I have one now thats only a few miles away.

17. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Got some more parts collected, front wheels, 21"ers from a '29 A and a spring to cut up for the front quarter elliptic from a military dodge M37 truck.

Gonna start making parts this week and as soon as I have anything worth showing I'll post some pictures. :D

18. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

19. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Tom, be sure you keep a before picture of those 21"ers.
    And post it sometime. If you have the cajones .............. :D

20. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Don't worry, I plan on leaving them "as is" for the initial pictures as a roller. They won't change until it reaches the final assembly stage.:D

21. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Progress report, started drilling the front axle today, it will have twenty-one one inch holes by tomorrow evening. Damn, I'm loving this build.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here's your "cajones" shot, the 21" wheels I got for the front.:D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

22. Ron Golden

Ron Golden

Perfect 50's look. However, I don't envy you drilling the front axle. Thats a lot of work.

Ron

23. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

It may be a lot of work, but it will sure add to the car having the ventilation up front.:D

Actually, including the layout I'll only have about six or seven hours in it and it's been a fun project. One of those things where you can see progress happening while you work.

24. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

Lookin good Tom, you going to check out the Antique Nats. at Fontana?

Yours are bigger than Dicks:D:D:D

25. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

26. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Here's a picture of the twenty-one holes in the axle. :D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 5, 2010
  27. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

That thing's flat out beautiful. :cool:

"Yours are bigger than Dicks"
    Damn, they are, and so's his "axle". :eek:

28. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

DO MINE, DO MINE, DO MINE! Looks great Tom, Keep after it!

29. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Definitely need to do yours Rocky, all you need is a couple of days, (hell, the way you work, probably just an evening), some patience, a drill press and a 1" holesaw. The layout took almost as long as the drillin', but I was into the measure many times before drillin' mode.

Just drilled a small pilot hole first and then went slow with the holesaw and used lots of oil. Messy but fun, but that covers most of the good stuff. :D

30. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Picked up a piece of cold rolled steel today, 3/8X3"X24" long and started drilling holes and soon will have the flange to build my intake and exhaust. I'll put up some pictures as soon as it's finished. Guess I'm going to go with the flow and make a set of up swept short stacks for it. The intake side will be another story. :D

Been a long time since I've had this much fun with a build. It seems like this thing is really bringing me back to what this stuff is all about and I'm loving every minute of it.