Register now to get rid of these ads!

Rapid Rabbit #112 Build Thread

Discussion in 'HA/GR' started by 64 DODGE 440, Jun 18, 2007.

1. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Thanks for all the kind words...this build is the most fun I've had since first getting into cars back in '59 or so. (Several years before I could get my driving license:p) I may not be fast, but I'm gonna have one of the biggest grins out there.:D

2. ScottV

ScottV

Tom, it's not about how fast you are ... It's about how fast you GO !!! :D

3. Really fine work, excellent style, built the way you want it. Good job!

Skip

4. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

........ and the older we gets, the faster (and more often) we has to go. :D

5. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

WOW Tom, Looks like the "Winged Express" !

6. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Always loved the Altereds, Competition Coupes and Modified Roadsters. Guess it shows in the direction we're going. Don't see a wing in our future.:D

7. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

More visible progress this weekend...got the support frame and pushbar structure under the turtledeck stuck together. Here's a couple of pictures.

[​IMG]

Now I'll have a place to hang the battery where the weight will do some good. :p

[​IMG]

8. Old28

Old28

Tom, not to much battery in the back or you may be on that bar for the first 60 feet. ;)

I really like your cage setup, it works well with the body layout. Keep up the good work.

9. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

I can hope.:D

10. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Yeah, half a dozen of the heavy service Exides should do it. :D

I like the way the turtle went on, looks great, and looks right. :cool:

11. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

A little stuff done this weekend, not much visible, but I did get the taillight mounted. In keeping with the bits and pieces from my past hobbies the taillight is from a vintage military truck.

[​IMG]

The bracket just had to have holes in it. :D

[​IMG]

12. duke182

duke182

that taillight is cool.
    i see lots of clean simple functional looking work on your car.
    i can'thardly wait to see it finished and get a run report on it.
    keep up the good work.

13. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

I'm old, slow and broke, so things don't happen on the build as fast as I'd like, but I figure if I can do something each week, sooner or later I'll run out of things to do.

14. Old28

Old28

Tom, nice looking tail light setup, that should be good enough for the track guys to see. Holes are good, every few #'s counts. :)

Keep moving forward.

15. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Getting old sucks! With our weather being over 100 degrees, this old body just hasn't felt up to getting out in the shop and working on the car. Finally, the weather cools off a little and things are looking up. Then yesterday morning the wife has a doctors appointment for her normal annual checkup and while we are there they ask us if we want to get our flu shots. Sure. Been there done that for the last several years, no problem. :p This time I got the "side effects" reaction. Ached everywhere last night, didn't sleep for shit and slept most of today. Ah, the joys of retirement. BAH, HUMBUG!!

Maybe tomorrow, I do have stuff out there I need to be doing. If I can just go back to feeling my "normal 65 years" I'll start doing it.

Thanks for listening to my rant. I'll try and do better tomorrow.

16. bobw

bobw

Good rant! Hope you feel better. Funny isn't it? Retired with free time, but what you want to do isn't free.
    I'm all prepared for Test & Tune tomorrow and my 14 year old Standard Poodle has taken a turn for the worse. He can't get up unless I lift his front up first then his hind quarters. He growls at me but seems to know he must have help. I can't leave him all day so the racing is cancelled untill...
    I think I'll skip the flu shot this year.

17. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Yeah Bob. Life is what happens to us while we are trying to do other stuff. Finally starting to feel human again and I guess a couple of days feeling crappy beats having the flu, but sometimes you have to wonder. As the line goes in the song, "if you want to hear God laugh tell him your plans". Seems like I have heard a lot of laughter the last few years. :p

18. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

I was worried about you Tom and was about to check on ya, it's been pretty quiet around here:D

19. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Don't worry Rocky, I'll start yelling again pretty soon. :p

20. Old28

Old28

Tom, glad to see you are feeling a little better. I need to get my shot this week, have had the same concerns about a bad reaction, but at my age and with my medical issues I need to get it done.

You are right about not wanting to get out in the shop and work on the car when it's this hot. This has been a HOT-HOT July/Aug/Sept in the valley.:D

Just keep doing a little and your right, You will finally run out of things to do and you will have the race car you wanted, less the 100 modifications you will make after you start racing it.

21. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

No major progress of late...been busy on other stuff, but should get back into it soon with something worth posting.:p

22. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Finally...some visible progress! Got the steering shaft support brace in place today. Along with holding the shaft it will also serve as a switch panel.

Picture #1: From the right rear.

[​IMG]

Picture #2: From the seat.

[​IMG]

Picture #3: From the left front with the wheel in place.

[​IMG]

Picture #4: Sitting in it and checking the fit. :D

[​IMG]

Got some other stuff done too, just not necessarily photo worthy. Did the final trimming and neatening on the lower edge of the bucket and got some braces and little stuff into the rear of the chassis. Hope to have more to show next week.

23. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

Looks Great Tom! Likin' the layout.

24. Old28

Old28

Tom the steering support looks nice and the cage, steering, seating looks like it fits you real well. It's a little nicer working out in the shop now that it's not 110 deg. :D Keep up the good work.

25. poofus1929

poofus1929
    from So Cal

Very cool. I like this build.

26. bobw

bobw

The work looks top notch. Did you bend up your own seat? Really like the shape of your cage. But more than anything, it's the smile that says it all.

27. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

I wish I had the equipment to have made the seat. Bought that one from Jegs, its an RCI 8440S and I rounded the top to make it look more vintage. Would have loved to put a vintage aircraft seat into it, but having worked on restorations of old aircraft I knew that to find a nice one would have been a big hit on the budget. I could have formed and riveted one, but the cost of the materials would have been near the cost of buying this one and the time it would have taken to build it, not having a break and shear, was better spent on other stuff that needed doing.

28. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Added a small "accessory" to the cockpit yesterday. :D

[​IMG]

29. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

30. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

Tom, thanks for sending me the link to your thread, I had a quick flick through, that's one unusual car!. I will have a proper read later.

Cheers,

David