Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage RANT - motel parking hell at the Round Up

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by FritzTownFord, Apr 8, 2013.

1. FritzTownFord

FritzTownFord

This NOT about the show - which was amazing as ever.

To the "friendly" group that parked several of their huge crewcabs and trailers sideways in the parking lot at LaQuinta south - blocking at least 25+ spaces - NOT COOL. Some very nice rods & show cars had to spend the night out on the street because you are sooo important.

Stay home next year or get in the spirit and DRIVE your car.

Sorry, back to your regularly scheduled entertainment.

2. 345winder

345winder
    BANNED

..i live near a large lake were people from other states come to visit and also many fishing tournaments are held,,,, last weekend there must have been a tournament going on, because some of these same 'important' people decided to park their crewcab trucks with boats in tow at one of the local resturaunts up front taking up probably 30 parking spots...it blows my mind that some people have so lil disregard for others...

3. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Do you really think those "important" people give a damn about your rant...besides, they prolly don't even know the HAMB EXISTS...

R-

4. fms427

fms427

Certainly not unique to the Round-Up - the same at any Good-Guys show or other big show. As a driver, I fully agree with you !!

5. This is the truth of the matter.

6. oldolds

oldolds

OMG! They have $150k invested tow vehicle and trailer. They can't drive it on the showfield to show it off. They have to power park it somewhere! :D

7. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

yep, the same all over. have even seen those same cars on/in trailers unloaded on the grounds where car show was held and then drive over to the winner's circle to pick up their "Long Distance Award". then back to trailer.

8. hot rod pro

hot rod pro
    from spring tx.

been happening for years, and i don't see it stopping anytime soon.

-danny

9. Dude,your preaching to the choir.

I would be willing to bet the offenders are not Hambers. HRP

10. davidh73750

davidh73750

south? Oltorf? Ive been going for 4 years but crap this year was enough

11. TxRat

TxRat

Stayed at the La Quinta on Oltorf. Lots of Power parking. Funny thing was there was an empty lot across Oltorf that the power parkers could have parked in.

12. Hotrodbuilderny

Hotrodbuilderny

Might be worth a phone call to management. They pay the same room price as everyone else, if they get enough calls they may tell them to find someplace else for their rigs

13. davidh73750

davidh73750

I feel like calling someone. The poor lady thursday by herself and $9hr. someone is making bank, jacking the rates .

14. davey

davey

Heck just charge for the space. You get one with the room everything else extra. that well move them on.

15. 62rebel

62rebel

those with the money make the rules for the rest. in other words, it's their world, we're just passing through it.

16. Kirk Hanning

Kirk Hanning

By no means am I a gold chainer nor do I choose to trailer the hotrod to events....but.....in the event that I'm picking up a non operable project and such I always tell the front desk that I have a 45' truck/trailer and where would be the best place to put it, even if it entails parking in an adjacent lot. Its only common courtesy. I am the last person to ever consider engaging in a conflict but if that happened to my buddies and I we WOULD of parked within the lot even if it meant blocking such "bullies" in. If they started whining I would politely ask if they wanted any cheese with that. I really dislike ignorant people can't ya tell?

17. fordsum

fordsum
    from SO CA

I have seen some bad screw you parking also. Here is a Pic i took while out one day I dont know who the bigger jerk is. The one on the lines or the one parked next to him.

Attached Files:

18. billsill45

billsill45
    from SoCal

Gee, I don't think that I would leave my big truck and trailer blocking a bunch of parking spaces ... some grumpy old bastard might let the air out of all the tires during the night !!

19. The trailer/truck parking thing is likely one detail the event organizers
    didn't think about. But maybe they should. Perhaps they could contact
    'the closest motels to suggest they might want to arrange for some nearby
    or off site trailer parking. Of course, it may not be possible in every case
    since motels are often in crowded busy areas.

The owners of the big vehicles probably assume their room charge
    entitles them to parking space.

20. The new consideration..inconsideration.

21. That is why most of the big shows have a trailer parking area for these rigs. Why don't the people in charge of this event do the same?
    I would rather just drive my hot rod and not have to worry about a place to park at the motels.....

22. agreed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

23. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

We had the same thing sort of happen during Turkey Run a few years ago. We thought it would be great to stay at the LaPlaya because it is right across the street from BelAire Plaza where all the nighttime action is happening.

The parking situation was TERRIBLE, if you left to go cruising you would lose you spot and we found out one guy who was a friend of the manager of the hotel had 25 cars parked there that never moved because they all had For Sale signs on them. He used the parking garage as his personal staging area. We complained but it did no good, so we have never gone back again.

Don

24. Kona Cruisers

Kona Cruisers

playing devils advocate here...

what about the guys towing over lets say 500 miles and want to bring their family? these guys can have 75K plus wrapped up in an enclosed trailer and truck, I know I'd want to be able to keep an eye on my truck/trailer... How many threads on here about stolen rigs?

i realize those guys arnt the Ortolph crowd but when did you get to decide what is and isnt kosher? Its the Motel property, its their rules.

I WILL at some point get my 32 on the road... and you can be damned sure Im going to hit up the GNRS VIVA and LSRU in the same season... AND I WILL be towing it. becuase while I love my hot rod, I also Love my family... and that trip might get a bit cramped in a 32... from the Great state of ALASKA.

25. Fenders

Fenders

I stay at an RV park near the Turkey Run -- but it might be a good idea to alert others about the Laplaya resort... is that the one at 2500 N. Atlantic Ave Daytona Beach, FL 32118 Reservations: 1-800-224-5052 which has the manager that cares more for his friends than his clients? Good solution, stay somewhere else........ Maybe someone googling laplaya will be forewarned. Maybe the owners will find a new manager.....

26. autobodyed

autobodyed
    from shelton ct

sadly, common sense, along with common courtesy are things of the past................

27. texasred

texasred
    from Houston

Have some stickers made up, NICE JOB OF PARKING ASSHOLE..cost about $20 for 5 hundred.. use them freely

28. Davyj

Davyj

This problem has been ongoing for years.........one of the worst used to be Goodguy's Indy show, you could never get near the hotels for trailers and trucks..................No real solution since you can't block a spot and drive your car at the same time. Probably the same people who park their cars at Louisville and just put a cover over them at night............I think most here build cars to cruise at night, and drive to the shows.....................if you can physically, it is always more fun. you can't fix stupid

29. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

If there isn't any space left for you to park, there's no harm in blocking them in, right? At least they won't get to the show before you leave. Gary

30. slammed

slammed

Take down the tag numbers next time. I can have them run. Drop a post card on them, made of a pix of their parking habit's. Why not?