Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ranchero shackle and leaf spring questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sgtlethargic, Feb 15, 2010.

1. What general angle should the shackle be at when unloaded? With the leaf springs I have it's at about 45* with the lower end forward. It seems like the leaf spring is a bit short. What unloaded eye-to-eye length are Ranchero springs versus Falcon springs?

2. I know this is an old post, but I have the same issue on a '60 Ranchero I have started rebuilding. The springs seem too short and the shackle actually swings the wrong way and hits the chassis rail... The spring measures 46" eye to eye but It seems falcon springs are 50" center to center.

Unloaded
    [​IMG]

Loaded
    [​IMG]

3. Drive Em

Drive Em

I have the same problem with my '63 Ranchero. As you lower the car off the jack, you have to take a small pry bar and pry the shackle back to where it belongs. It is a two man operation.

4. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I just ran into this deal on my '62 wagon which shares the common springs with the Ranchero. They are a bit longer than Falcon sedan, but I can't supply a measurement off the top of my head. What it came down to on my car was that the rear springs had been replaced with "heavier duty" 6 leaf springs that were arched way tooo much. I had mine de-arched down 3" over all which also has the effect of lengthening them too. Okay ride height now and I'm diggin' the stiffer ride qualities. I did just have some longer U-bolts made up today and I plan a 1" block to get where I want to go, but that's just me. I like things low!

Aussie Ranch, after you de-arch those a bit, you are going to need to fix the rear shackle hangers. The eyes on your are bent down from years or riding around with the shackles flipped. The eye should be on the same level as the mounting surface which is adding to your problems.

5. Interesting it seems to be a common problem. I think in my case it has been caused by the 'helper' spring that you can see in the photo attached with the u bolt. I think it has made the spring arc smaller so the shackel flips the wrong way (as you guys have said). I might remove it and straighten out the spring mount and see how it goes.

Thanks guys!