Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Ranch Wagon key help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by erock805, Sep 3, 2017.

1. erock805

erock805

Picked up a 64 yesterday and spent most of the day cleaning it up. Real strait super clean little 289 car. Lucky to have found it.

1st issue is no keys. Can anyone tell me if the door locks match the ignition key? That would make life pretty easy.

Thanks for your help!

2. mcsfabrication

mcsfabrication
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Think you'll find the ignition is only ignition. All other locks will have another key.

3. If it's got unmolested locks/ignition, the ignition should match the doors. Ford typically paired the doors/ignition together then paired the glove box/trunk (or tailgate in your case). But if any of them have been replaced, then who knows... I bought a PU once that had separate keys for EACH lock, four keys for the ignition, each door and the glove box.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  4. greybeard360

greybeard360

Ford stamped the key code on the door lock and glove box cylinders. Could be on drivers or passenger door. If you can find those it is a simple matter of taking the codes to a locksmith and have new ones cut. If no codes are found, take a door and glove box cylinders to him and he can make a key... No big deal.

Sent from my Moto G Play using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. Our '54 Ford Ranch Wagon 's ignition & door lock keys are different as is my '65 Ford pickup. HRP

6. On my '64 Ford the door key matched the ignition. The rounded off key fit the glove box and tailgate.

7. On a car that almost always means the complete ignition switch was replaced somewhere along the line and it wasn't re-keyed to match the doors. You did run into this occasionally on trucks, as some only had door locks and an ignition switch with no glove box lock. Every Ford product I've ever owned always had two keys if they were still original. It's worth noting that the 50s/early 60s ignition switches with single-sided keys were prone to excessive wear and replaced ignition switches aren't uncommon. The later double-sided key switches didn't have that problem.

8. 1964countrysedan

1964countrysedan
    from Texas

My 64 wagon has one key.

9. erock805

erock805

Thank you all for your responses. I truly appreciate the help. Got the little pig rubbing today and the back glass is going up and down. With some power supplied. No knocks or clicks.

10. All the different answers got me to thinking, so I dug out my vintage Ford owners manual collection. Now, I'm not going to claim it's totally 'representative', but does give some insight... I've got '56, 63, 64, 65 car manuals, and two truck manuals; '67 and 68. One thing was consistent across all of them; the ignition and doors use the same key. If the car is anything except a wagon, it has two keys; ignition/doors and trunk/glove box (if the box is locking). The wagons could be either single or two keys; the '56 and '64 are single key for all locks, the '63/65 have a separate key for the tailgate according to the manuals. The trucks were single key unless fitted with a locking glove box, then they got a second key.

I'd still take this with a grain of salt. I bought an unmolested, one-owner '56 Ranch Wagon about '70 and it came with two keys; ignition/doors and tailgate (I still have it...). So there may have been running production changes or variations depending on where the car was assembled (San Jose, St. Louis, etc...).

If anybody has other years manuals, we could fill in the gaps....

11. VTjunk

VTjunk

Many of the old cars I've owned had key tags or even a spare key wire tied under the dash or in the engine compartment hanging near the wiper motor. I always look there first.

1964countrysedan likes this.