Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ran out of gas?!?!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by butterboy, Jun 2, 2010.

1. butterboy

butterboy

So after the wife and I put the kids to bed I had to make that famous late night run to Wal-Mart, to thow my hard earned money at the feet of the Walton empire. Anyhow I decided to take my 49 fastback( half finished in primer non the less) I'm 2 miles from my destination when it happened, the famous gut feeling that tells you : Hey stupid your out of gas!!! So after I pushed my chevy off the side of a back country road my first thought...Don't call the wife call your best buddy! So after I sat in the dark for 20 minutes along comes my buddy with the gas. All is right with the world again but, my wife still thinks im irresponsible.

Made me wonder : How many of you guys have ran out of gas along the way, bet there are some interesting stories on here...
    Thanks Tommy

2. BISHOP

BISHOP

I stopped to help a guy that had run out of gas, and the guy ran away from me. Really, he took of running with his little gas can, so I left him there.

3. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

More times then I can count.....finally fixed my gas gauge.:rolleyes:

4. Arky

Arky
    from Arkansas

Crap man, I had that happen driving the wife's car! what was worse is I have never gotten along with my folks. I don't ask for help. I had to humble myself and call them!!

What is even worse than that is the car is an 07 Grand Prix with the stupid mileage range that showed I had 101 miles left.

All my Buds were at work during the day.

5. Dirk35

Dirk35

Twice in the 35 after I first got it running.

Once was heading to the gas station and actually ran out as I pulled in and only had to coast to the pumps.

The other time, I was picking up my (then 7 years old) daughter from school to take her to dance. Some college student actually rode up on is bicycle to his house which was across from the elementary school wher eI had parked to get her, and offered to take us up to get gas. He had a real beater of a import car and I gave him $10.

6. Boyd Who

Boyd Who

August 2002 on the way to B'ville. Ran my old '48 Chevy pickup out of gas by the industrial park on the west side of SLC on I-80. Coasted into the park and found a gas station about 8 blocks away. Made the trip that much more fun. :p

7. It was 1973 or so and we're cruising in my buddy's '61 Plymouth. I looked at the gas gage and I inquired about his fuel status. He says, "I put $2.00 in it 2 days ago". With that said, it runs out of gas immediately. There were 3 of us and we still had to push the car about a 1/2 mile.

I had a couple of OT cars that had touchy gas gauges. One was my '82 Caprice, when it dipped below a 1/4 tank it had to be fed shortly after. I got stuck with it a few times, my wife called me all sorts of dumb things until it happened with her driving.

With her '92 Regal, once the gas pump light came on, you had less than a mile to gas up.

Bob

8. big creep

big creep

yea this is why i have triple A never feel bad about running out of gas! its free if you have premium service!

9. Years ago I switched plates on my lil nova and took Dad for a ride. 1st stopped to gas up and had fuel pour out the spout, so thought "Must be full." About a half hour later while punching it to get on the interstate, that feeling of no gas or no spark hit me.

We spent an hour running a fuel line to temporary fuel can to get it home. Best part was having the state police stop and help and he NEVER bothered to run my plate to see that it was out of state and on a white '63 Nova instead of the red '91 s-10. Man it was tough to stay cool, cause I was a kid and the tickets would have hurt!

Got home all right and discovered the fuel gauge needed to be grounded.

10. specialk

specialk

Never ran out of gas in 25+ years of driving until I got a late model LeSabre. When the gauge says 'E', it means 'E'. And, just like a previous story, my wife laughed (a lot) until it happened to her in the same car 2 weeks later.

Sorry, not very funny (except to my wife and me)

11. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

About two weeks ago. I knew it would need gas to get to the Jalopy show down so I went to gas up Friday afternoon. Fortunately I turned right to the closest station. I got a 1/2 of a mile from the station when I got that sinking feeling in my belly. I coasted to within a 1/2 a block until I had to get out and push to keep it rolling toward the pumps. A couple of guys saw me pushing and came running to help me complete my journey. I was sooo lucky that I didn't turn left. No cell phone and no one to call if I had one. I dodged a bullet.

I know I should pull the sender and adjust the float so that I have a better handle on exactly how much is left but that's down farther on my todo list. If it happens again, it will probably move up in urgency.:D

The last time was in Daytona at the Turkey run. I coasted into a parking lot right into a parking spot. Only 2 blocks to an open station. That was in the sport coupe.

I've been pretty lucky.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2010
  12. mike1951

mike1951
    from Colorado

Yep...I used to live in Chicago and went to school at SIU in Carbondale...I used to make the trek in an OT 1971 car of German descent....
    Up and Down I-57 Right north of Champaign I started to get really low...
    so I pulled off for a Gas station...This lady was closing up and refused to sell me gas... After much pleading I went back out on the highway...watching the tank getting lower and lower... I ended up running outta gas 1/4 a mile from the exit and 1 mile from the truck stop off the exit....After getting gas and filling tank I was thankfully smart enough to save some to put down the carb to get her goin again.... MAn I still curse that lady for not sellin me gas.

13. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

2 times in my 32 years of driving..(..legally..)..dont think thats too bad..

first time..68 Charger the fuel sender was bad..week after i ran out i changed it.

second time a 97 Roadmaster..fuckin gauge was a lier..out on US23 just before nightfall..with wife and kid in the car..buddy came to the rescue , i never let that gauge go below an 1/8th of a tank after that..and i never trusted the little yellow light to come on and say your getting low..because it would quit either before that would happen or right after.

14. nutajunka

nutajunka

Knew a guy that ran out of gas and he had a gallon of coleman fuel for his camping stove, poured it in and away we went. Guy was like MacGyver on that tv show, always coming up with off the wall fixes.

15. I was famous for putting off buying gas and look for the best deal. Now I gas up my OT car when the low-on-gas icon pops up.

This had to be '77 or so, I was heading for a gas station one morning, in my '64 Ford, luckily it was downhill from an overpass. I ran out as I crested the top of the hill, coasted a few hundred yards right up to the pump, like I planned it that way.

Bob

16. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

The older I get, the faster it happens.

Oh, and I have had cars die from no fuel as well.

17. DavidL

DavidL

Only once, and I was a lucky enough to coast into a gas station. Should have bought a lotto ticket while I was there.

18. synthsis

synthsis

the line to get into a car show one time was over an hour long, something I didn't anticipate. After waiting about 50 minutes with the trick idling it conks out on me. Yup, ran out of gas 20 feet from getting in the show AND I was blocking all the cars behind me. Luckily some friends were close by and we pushed it out of the way real quick. To top it off, as I was going to start it again I cooked my points, condenser, and coil. Luckily there was a swap meet where I could get all the parts. an hour later it was good to go.

19. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

This morning on the way to school. Limped into the gas station after a guy gave me a little push to get over the curb. Gotta recalibrate that gauge; hasn't ever been close since we replaced the tank.

On an (possibly) interesting note, I've not once run my roadster out of fuel since the gauge died a few (ok, fifteen) years ago. Seems I am more aware of the fuel status without the instrument to give me a false sense of security. Maybe I just fuel plan more conservatively.

20. wingman9

wingman9
    from left coast

I ran out of gas years ago just outside of Lordsburg, New Mexico at ten o'clock at night in a snow storm. I was pulling a trailer with a car in it and the headwind was so bad that my mileage calcs were totally bogus. A good samaritan in the form of a loadie picked me up, got me loaded on some good weed, fed me, and delivered me to the only gas station in town that was still open. He even offered to give a ride back to my truck but I told him he had done enough. I hope he got to where he was going.

21. one of our guys towed the car to york 4 gas stops never filled the car on the trailer ran out a block away after unloading it no station in sight

22. 6erwebb

6erwebb
    from Nashville

Ive run out of gas in almost every vehicle Ive ever had (15 so far)

When I was in highschool I had a 72 chevy truck. The gauge worked but for some reason I neglected to fill up, I was on the way to school and down a hill I was going. I decide hey Imma get gas at the station at the bottom of the hill... well I ran out. But I was going down hill so I was just gunna coast right up to the pump. Unfortunatly the rush hour morning traffic didnt see fit to let me through to the station even though I waved my arms and flashed my lights with my blinker on. Well I went back and fourth about 5 times from the pump to the station driveway filling a coffee can up until I had enough to start the thing.

23. cowboy1

cowboy1
    from Austin TX

I bought a brand new 2003 Mazda B2300(a.k.a Ford Ranger)and my gas gauge is way off . 1/4 tank left means its empty. The full mark is way past the "F" line.
    At least I was able to coast into gas station the first time this happen.

24. AntiBling

AntiBling

I work nights, and when I get off work I go to the gym to shower. Well this was last Friday morning, I go out to my 54. Will not fire. Car was still warm, so I figured vapor lock, nothing. So I go around to the back, knock on the gas tank, yup, empty.

The good news is there's a gas station right at the end of the strip mall. The bad news is, I'm by myself and you have to push it up hill to the pumps.

Bust a nut getting my 54 Chevy up this grade to the pumps, put some gas in the gas tank, put a splash in both the carbs, go to crank it, nothing, cranking pretty slow even for a 6v, pull out the jump pack, hook it up, no difference, go check the jump pack, it's dead.

It's around 5 AM, everyone I know from work is either asleep, or left town for the weekend. Everyone I know who's getting up needs to be getting to work. Luckily one guy I texted knowing he didn't have to work till later, just happened to be up and came and gave me a jump.

I was sore all this weekend from pushing that car by myself.

25. One time back in 1990. I had just bought a used Ford F100 pickup truck. The gas gauge showed slightly less than 1/4 tank of fuel. I called my wife and to this day, she reminds me every chance she gets.

26. Edsel_Presley

Edsel_Presley

Being disabled I'm paranoid about running out of gas. I hit the 1/4 tank mark, I start looking for a station.

27. Jagman

Jagman

My high school age daughter called me about 2 am one morning, she was stuck on the inside shoulder of a very busy freeway in the DC area in her rusted out, license plates for floors VW beetle, and it was raining buckets! She didn't even have a cell phone then, luckily a woman had stopped and let her sit in her car and call me!

Of course, she was out of gas.......the kicker was I had fixed her gas gauge that day, but she didn't know that so she didn't believe it!

The gallon can I had got her to the next exit with a gas station and I filled her up.....but she's never run out again since!

28. RichG

RichG

Moving from Washington state to New Mexico...just outside of Tonepah, Nevada. My grandpa and I were in a Chevy Luv p'up and it started chugging and lurching. He just reached down and turned off the key, we coasted down a pretty decent hill until we got closer to town. He fired it back up and we died coasting into the station... We bought a fuel can there and stuck it in the back of the p'up 'cause it was a long damn ways to Vegas and we didn't want to run out of gas in the middle of freakin' nowhwere!

29. Area56

Area56
    from Oklahoma

How about cars with reserve levers rather than a gauge? It sucks when the little pipes giving the different fuel levels fall off. Switching to reserve doesn't do any good, 'cause your already there.

30. The only time I seem to run out of gas is after my wife is driving the car for awhile. Seems she knows how to plan it so I can't even make it from home to the gas station.

I am begining to wonder if she even knows what a gas pump looks like. :rolleyes: