Register now to get rid of these ads!

Rams Horn Dilemma

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by old_skool_1953, Mar 14, 2010.

1. old_skool_1953

old_skool_1953

I picked up a good set of 2" rams horn manifolds the other day although I was looking for 2.5" manifolds. I am not overwhelmed with my purchase but I have next to nothing in them and it frees up some much needed cash in the hot rod budget. I have a mild 350 for my T coupe. (350 hp, 375 ft.-lbs. tq.) Will the 2" manifolds breathe well enough or should i spend the money and get the 2.5"? I'm not building a race car here but if I am cheatin myself outta some performance later to save a few bucks now I don't want that either. Will the sound be dramatically different between the two? Will the performance difference be noticeable? What do you guys think?

2. Others may disagree. But a 350 really needs the larger manifolds. You have to be very careful (or somewhat lucky) when buying used exhaust manifolds. Fatal cracks are not uncommon. Speedway sells new for about $60 each.

3. David Chandler

David Chandler

2 inch should do more for a 283, 305, or 307. Or maybe one of those low powered 350 crate engines for truck use. I'd find a bigger set someplace if you truly have 350 horses.

4. 1934coupe

1934coupe

Don't know about $60. each, Speedways ad.
    Price: $299.99

<INPUT id=ctl00_cph_prodSku_hdnDisplayID value=3823 type=hidden name=ctl00$cph$prodSku$hdnDisplayID>

<TABLE style="BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse" id=ctl00_cph_prodSku_dlProductSku class=prodskurbdl border=0 cellSpacing=0><TBODY><TR><TD><INPUT id=ctl00_cph_prodSku_dlProductSku_ctl00_hfBaseID value=3831 type=hidden name=ctl00$cph$prodSku$dlProductSku$ctl00$hfBaseID> <INPUT id=ctl00_cph_prodSku_dlProductSku_ctl00_hfSku value=9300300 type=hidden name=ctl00$cph$prodSku$dlProductSku$ctl00$hfSku> S/B Chevy Cast Iron Ram Exhaust Manifolds
    Item #:

Price:
    PR
    $299.99

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

5. 4 pedals

4 pedals
    from Nor Cal

Unless you're racing it, the "seatof the pants'ometer" will never know the difference.

Devin

6. sawbuck

sawbuck
    from 06492 ct

i bought em for 59.00 each...stock 2.5 inch.no rusty ,broken, striped studs...

7. KENDEUCE

KENDEUCE

There is a stock repop 2.5" cast iron maifold for the $60. Try the summitt racing site

8. Any reason you wouldn't run headers? Ok, not so trad looking but the shorties would probably flow more than the 2" rams horns. No reason to choke that 350.

9. Deuces

Deuces

I'd bolt up the ones you have.... You'll have alot better low-end torque for round town cruising. Then when you got enough green, buy the bigger ones.

10. Bosco1956

Bosco1956
    from Jokelahoma

Dorman make some for that price try a Napa store that is where I got mine.

11. Test fit them. I tried to fit 350 manifold on a 283 and the end holes didn't line up.

12. Tbomb428

Tbomb428
    from SoCal

13. sawzall

sawzall

were talking about the difference of .5 inches.. on a manifold that has runners what 11 inches long.. max???

if you dont want the 2 inchers.. send them to me..

14. old_skool_1953

old_skool_1953

Thanks guys for the awesome info. I am trying to keep it looking traditional so I definitely want to use a cast manifold. I only have $35 in my 2" set and they are pretty nice. If I dont use these I was going to run the 2.5" cast ones on ebay that dont have the alt. bracket. Do you think it will affect my exhaust sound as opposed to the 2.5?"

15. Bears38

Bears38

I bought a set of those 2 1/2"s from Speedway for my '49 truck , could'nt make 'em clear the steering shaft from the rack-n-pinion . Had to use a ramhorn that angles back at the dump , not really what I was wanting , I might try a set of block huggers and see if it will breath any better @ higher rpm's , IF those will clear the steering !

16. you all are over thinking this .... bolt them on , hook up some exhaust and have fun

you will be just fine , you will be able to spin the rear tires

17. Yup. Everybody worries about horsepower while sitting in a traffic jam, or cruising in a 30 mph zone!-MIKE:rolleyes::D

18. I say keep what you got. I went with the 2.5's on my 327 and bought the 2.5 pipes to go with it. Alot of money for little, if any, gain. But there in lies the rub. If you go with the 2.0's then you will need bigger pipes later if you switch up.

I was also suprised by how much space the bigger pipes took up. I have a stock routing and it gets pretty tight around the rear axle.

19. Truckedup

Truckedup

So you had the 2 inch system,and changed to 2-1/2 and noticed no more power?
    There a lot of discusion of this stuff on other forums dedicated to Camaros and such.The Internet has a lot of shit but the general opinion seems to be that Ram's Horn manifolds work ok for 325 hp .When you get into higher tuned engines and more rpm ,some sort of tube header is better.Some say to the tune of 30-50 hp on top end according to dyno tests done by performance magazines.Even stock engines seemed to benefit across the power band from headers.If you can believe tests in magazines.I guess the if you plan to use Rams Horns don't get to wild on the engine build.

20. shmoozo

shmoozo
    from Media, PA

21. andysdeuce

andysdeuce
    Member Emeritus

I have regular 2" Rams hons on my roadster. It has a 301 (283 bored out .125) About 12 1/2 comp. Runs great with straight exhaust out the back. The 2 1/2 " rams horns were the corvette ones but are kind of pricy if you can find them. Its nice to keep the stock location on the generator also. Believe me you can't tell the difference with a stock 350 chebbie. Use the KISS theory...keep it simple stupid.;):D:D