Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ramp truck pics???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by FRITZ, Feb 6, 2004.

1. FRITZ

FRITZ
    BANNED

I was just looking at the "old trailer" post and someone mentioned build a Ramp truck. We was thinking of doing that here also,.......Soooooooo, anyone have vintage pics of them, I remember them as a kid. Im sure we'd all love to see 'em
    FRITZ

2. There was a guy racing at Watkin's Glen a few years ago with a 1965 Ford ramp truck that was restored to the tits. It was nicer than the GT350 he was racing. Sorry no photos.

3. Tackett

Tackett

I welded in a shop that did mostly vintage race car restoration & prep. There was some seriously high dollar stuff in there, but one of my favorites was a Ford ramp truck with a Mustang on the back. I can't remember who raced and prepped the Mustang in the 70's, but it was a name I'd heard before.

The shop was so full it was hard to get a good picture, but here's the only one of the ramp truck I have.
    [​IMG]

The truck was getting a new 502 and power disc brakes - he's a good customer as I recall.

4. FLAT-TOP BOB

FLAT-TOP BOB
    HAMB O'dex Editor

this may not be the kind of ramp truck you are wanting to see but i thought i would throw it up. my dad built the bed in the 60's. we used it for years, up into the 80's and it was mounted on three or four trucks. notice the ramps are made from an old gas station lift. no telling how many miles it had on it when we junked it out. also note you could tow a car behind it too.

Attached Files:

5. manyolcars

manyolcars

[ QUOTE ]
    this may not be the kind of ramp truck you are wanting to see but i thought i would throw it up. my dad built the bed in the 60's. we used it for years, up into the 80's and it was mounted on three or four trucks. notice the ramps are made from an old gas station lift. no telling how many miles it had on it when we junked it out. also note you could tow a car behind it too.

[/ QUOTE ]Hi Bob, I wanna do this to my 1935 Ford 1 1/2 ton. How was the winch set up to pull the car up? How did the ramp set up and store (between the truck bed and the ground)?

6. FLAT-TOP BOB

FLAT-TOP BOB
    HAMB O'dex Editor

manyolcars, if you look at the front of the ramp you can make out the top winch. it was just mounted on the front of the ramp. the ramps where welded in place and not made to remove. there was also a winch in the tail to pick up the car that was towed.

7. manyolcars

manyolcars

Thanks Bob, but there HAS to be a ramp between what you see in the pic and the road. They gotta be removable or they would drag like a tail. How was that part of the ramps done? Thanks

8. fordiac

fordiac
    from Medina, Oh

tackett, thats a chevy truck, just pointing it out...

9. FLAT-TOP BOB

FLAT-TOP BOB
    HAMB O'dex Editor

manyolcars,
    the ramps for loading cars on top are stored on the back of the bed. look right above the rear wheels on each side you can see them. they go from the rear wheel to the back corner of the bed. not the best looking. but is was used to work not look pretty.

10. Greazer

Greazer

I guess this doesn't exactly qualify, does it? [​IMG]

Attached Files:

11. I know mooneyes has a pretty cool ramp truck..couldn't find any pics of it though.

12. how about this one

Attached Files:

13. a/fxcomet

a/fxcomet
    from Eugene, OR

Didnt one of the Canuck HAMBers have a GMC ramptruck a while back? I think it was green? They might have used it to haul a FED? And I think it was for sale.

14. Kustm52

Kustm52

Somebody please post a picture of the one from OK or Kansas, somewhere around there, that is made out of an AMC pacer turned backwards....I had a picture somewhere but can't find it.

Brian

15. Tackett

Tackett

[ QUOTE ]
    tackett, thats a chevy truck, just pointing it out...

[/ QUOTE ]
    Ooops!

16. Here's one a friend took at a show in PA in 92.

17. FRITZ

FRITZ
    BANNED

we got this old Ford van for Free an '86 and the kid that works for me was like ..."ya know what would be cool" I figured if we made a ramp truck out of it wouldnt be such a bad project ...as in if I screw'd it up at all, heck it was for free anyway.
    thanks for the pics guys!
    FRITZ

18. I got a crazy Idea- whts wrong with this?I want to build a ramp truck from my 51 Cab over Chevy and a 16'motorhome chassis[1Ton].My question is this- look at the truck above white with the ramps and the "loaded" vehicleextending up and "over"the cab of the ramp truck.why couldnt the ramp bed be "let down on slides untill it contacted the ground-then the ramp bed AND the vehicle you are loading winched up and forward at the same time. see the two "uprights"holding it at the front? Couldn't they pivot rearward and accomplish this?and then pivot forward[being winched] until it was loaded then lock in place? [​IMG]

19. Mike Paul

Mike Paul
    ALLIANCE MEMBER