Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Ramblin Relics Country Run for Fun - West Union, OH

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by John B, Jul 2, 2012.

1. John B

John B

My 1000th post, so I thought I'd throw up a few pictures from this show that I went to over the weekend.

This was the 39th annual show for these guys. Sadly the numbers have dropped off over the last few years. Partly because they are getting older and don't get out to advertise like they use to and also because now more then ever there's more compitition then ever from other new shows. Maybe now that they have decided to get with the times and have an internet presence they might be able to get the word out again.

Anyway, there were a couple vehicles I thought were HAMB worthy, of course I could be wrong, but I'll throw them up anyway.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I stopped to check out this 56 F-100 and ended up talking for a good while with the owner. Well half owner, he owns it with his son. Turns out he's a preacher and he invited me to their fund raising dinner that evening, I had to decline as I already had plans. I did give him a small donation to help with getting siding on their church though. I'm a soft touch I guess.
    [​IMG]

I was drawn to this slick Ford by it's black paint job shining in the 100 degree plus sun. Merc flatty with Smithy mufflers sounded just right. The owner and I had a discussion about the finer points of living with a flathead. When I got around to asking about the interior he told me he did it himself. So we then discussed our Singer 153W2 sewing machines. He's looking for a grille now, as after the paint was done the old grille looked bad compared to the rest of the car.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Didn't care for the wheels on this bodystyle, but it's not my truck. Still a nice ride in my eyes.
    [​IMG]

Did I mention that with your registration you get a free meal. Of course I took them up on that. Got there a liitle early and still ended up back in line.
    [​IMG]

2. John B

John B

Saturday night there's a cruise on the courthouse square and they have a live band perform on the courthouse lawn. Since I had seen most of the cars that day, I took off walking around and being intrigued by the old buildings. One cool place to visit is Blakes Pharmacy, they still have a old fashion soda fountain.

[​IMG]

This old building seems like it could tell some interesting stories. I'm sure the towns people thought I was a nut for taking multiple pictures of what they probably think is just an old run down eyesore.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Ever heard of Cowboy Copas? He was before my time but I knew who he was because my dad was a fan. He was born in West Union and they celebrate that fact with a marker on the courthouse lawn.
    [​IMG]

Ok I'll get back to the cars now.

I was parked beside this cool little Mopar on Sunday morning
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As you can tell by the tent, if you didn't want to pay for a motel room you could camp on the fairgrounds. They have showers and bathrooms available for you to.
    [​IMG]

David Catching's 57 Ford was a Tennessee police car when it was new. Now it sees almost as many miles traveling to shows and cruising.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I know a few of these cars are borderline HAMB material, but maybe this next one makes up for any of my offenses.

This was probably my favorite car of the show. 1946 Lincoln.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

With a Caddy lurking under the hood.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. carlos

carlos
    from ohio

looks like my old ford but allot nicer:D

Attached Files:

4. John B

John B

Maybe next year there will be more hot rods and kustoms at this show.

The Saturday part of the show is more about taking tours of Amish country and driving your car. Figure thats something that HAMBers can appreciate.

5. demonsix

demonsix

Great pics of the cars and old buildings in town. It seems like an Internet site is standard these days to get good numbers and get the word out.

6. ratrodder34

ratrodder34
    from Irvine,ky.

Cool pics John B......I had never heard of it before. Camping out by your car would be cool.

7. John B

John B

I was going to camp out to, but my back has been giving me fits. I ended up in a mom & pop motel ten miles away for less the $40. There's a couple people who even come out with RVs and camp.

There was a crew there from the Mt. Sterling, KY area. George Tackett has been going for 30 years straight.

8. John B

John B