Register now to get rid of these ads!

Rambler - Auto options?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Outback, Oct 25, 2010.

1. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

We've got a 287 Rambler and was wondering if there is an 'easy' option for fitting an Auto up behind it, over here Rambler's are not common, so the original box is really not an option, how about a TH350? or powerglide any sugestions??

Cheers

G

2. what year rambler? enclosed driveline? is there any trans in it at all right now? theres not really adaptors for these engines more than likely you would end up swapping out the entire drive train to go to an auto setup

3. The original auto trans was a Borg Warner and used by Ford among others, although some Ramblers had a push-button control, parts for it should be out there.

The problem with a Rambler is it's torque tube drive, so anything other than original requires a rearend swap and engineering some kind of trailing arms or other suspension to hang it on.

4. HOT40ROD

HOT40ROD
    from Easton, Pa

I have a 58 American with the Borg Warner auto trans. The guy I bought the car from rebuilt the trans but he did not know what he was doing and the trans has to many issue. Yes they are like the ford trans but the bolt pattern were the bell bolt ups is different. I know I tried it does not work. And the 58 has an open drive train. I'm think at this point I'm going with a motor and trains change.

5. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

Why not try the rebuild yourself - I just bought a kit for one of these for 65 bucks. They're not that hard - just a bit time consuming.

6. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

I agree ! Why not try rebuilding the trans yourself ? If you take your time and follow the instructions and keep everything very clean , then you should be OK . The problem with Rambler / AMC is they had other companies make the parts for them to use on their bolt patterns . So trying to find something else to fit is almost impossible to find . I have owned a couple AMC's and enjoyed them a lot but nothing was interchangeable at all ! The only other option is to get another engine and trans from a more common car maker and install them into your Rambler . That will work but won't be original . If the car doesn't need to be original , then I am sure a good Ford / Chev small block will fit nicely and the parts are easy to get .
    Just an idea .

Retro Jim

7. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

Thanks guys, I'm sorry I wasn't that clear, we have an engine only, it's going into an early Holden (GM) however it's a 287 beleived to be '65 and earlier (61-2??) We will look into the Borg Warner option, it seems that later Rambler's had torque flite's behind them?? We are assuming that we will have to make an adaptor,

Cheers

OB

8. Uh Borg Warner made trans for everybody, the t86 trans went into everything from amc's fords studebakers jeep you name it. Its not a "problem", its how the auto industry works

Hes got alot going on trying to stuff a rambler 287 into a Holden/GMC. Better off sticking with the GM stuff for it.

9. farna

farna

The "problem" is that it's a first generation AMC V-8 (1956-61 250, 1956-66 327, and 1963-66 287). They have a unique bell housing bolt pattern. The only thing that bolts up is a Borg-Warner automatic. It can be from a Studebaker or 58-66 or so Jaguar, but you'll still need the AMC bell housing.

To use anything else will require a custom adapter with one exception -- Jeep used the AMC 327 from 63-66. They used an adapter with the "universal" TH-400, which was the Buick "Nailhead" case. The Buick "Nailhead" V-8 had a deep skirt in the back and required a shallow bell. The shallow bell case left plenty room for an adapter, so it was sold as a universal model to others. If you find an adapter you will need the flexplate and spacer that goes on the flywheel.

The similar Ford autos don't bolt to the AMC bell. BW, Stude, and Ford collaborated in developing an auto trans in the early 50s. At first it was Stude and Detroit Gear (later became Borg-Warner, or BW bought DG, not sure on that!), then Ford joined in. Later Stude dropped out. Ford used some internal parts from BW -- I know the clutches are the same and I think the bands -- but made their own case and valve body.