Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Ram hydraulic throw out bearing fluid

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kool49, Jul 11, 2015.

1. Kool49

Kool49

ok. I'm to the point of bleeding brakes and my Ram hydraulic throw out bearing. . Been all around town to all the automotive parts places . My question is , the Ram throw out bearing instruction specifically says to use a DOT 3 NON synthetic brake fluid or the orings will go bad !!!!!!!! I have a few quarts on the shelf of basic DOT 3 brake fluid. None of them say anything about synthetic being in them . But when I googled DOT3 brake fluid they say that all of the DOT 3 brake fliuds are synthetic . Ok so I'm scratching my head here Has anyone used the over the counter Dot 3 fluid in the Ram throw out bearings ? Any problems with it ? I read that wilwood sales a non synthetic dot3. But is it safe to use what I have already. As I said the bottles does not say synthetic so ???????? Just hate to ruin orings and new clutch because I used the wrong fluid. I've been told the basic over the counter DOT 3 does have some synthetic in it but not enough to call it a synthetic brake fluid if that makes any since . Really looking for help on this one. Past experiences would be very helpful also . Thanks.

2. Jethro

Jethro
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I wonder if they mean "silicone" brake fluid. Far as I know regular dot3 brake fluid is based on glycerine . I've heard of people having trouble with silicone .

3. Kool49

Kool49

Not sure what they mean. But directions say to only use NON synthetic DOT 3. So I'm lost ? If I google DOT 3 brake fluid , it says there all synthetic ????????????? Help lol

4. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Call Ram and ask them.

5. flux capacitor

flux capacitor

Got two ram units one of them I've used for 6 years now using Wagner DOT3 brake fluid part number for a quart FC134281. Works like a top. Flux