Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Ralphy's Tub

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 29Hiboy, Aug 5, 2015.

1. APri 2015 007 - Copy.JPG

I'm going to post a couple of pics of Ralphy's tub. it's a project that has taxed all my faculties, and will continue to do so for at least the next couple of months. What makes this car special to me is that it is comprised of either ancient Ford parts or hand fabbed one-offs. Though far from perfect in design, style, or execution, these hand made parts started as raw materials, including the frame rails.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2015
  2. more pictures please.

3. Aug 14th 002 - Copy.JPG Aug 14th 005 - Copy.JPG

Frame rails pressed from flat 11 gauge p&o flat stock on Ron McIntosh's old press.
    The rails used for this car have a 4 degree up-sweep starting at the cowl, achieved by installing a wedge into the press tooling, and alternate dies. Pretty awesome machine for its size.

The rail on the far left in the bottom pic are of the "modified" or up-swept persuasion.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2015
  4. July 8 020 - Copy.JPG Oct 28 030 - Copy.JPG

Pics a bit out of sequence.

Front cross member was salvaged from a pinched original frame that was repaired. Had to build up the boxing plates with 3/8 plate to accommodate it - just couldn't waste it and didn't want to pinch this frame at the front cross member.

Dannerr, patmanta and F&J like this.

5. I'm such a rookie - sorry about the wasted space Ryan!
    Frame sort of done in October of last year. Components mounted a little later on.

Hey... I found the "edit" button and deleted the dupe! Rocket science at its best.

6. F100 box. Pitman arm is half F100 and half '50 Ford car. Mast jacket and wheel are '50 Ford. Feb 2 022 - Copy.JPG Feb 2 026 - Copy.JPG

7. We'll need more pictures! :D

8. Jan 15 011 - Copy.JPG Ralph\'s axle.JPG

'36 axle. This was in very rough shape. Have about 6-7 hours in it with the drop

Dannerr likes this.
  9. Better pic of the axle - almost finished. Jan 15 015.JPG

117harv likes this.
  10. Feb2015.JPG July2015.jpg

Exhaust is quiet but still sounds great. I kinda prefer a subtle exhaust note and Ralph isn't into super loud pipes either. I actually set up a jig to get them straight, but haven't had the body on since installed. May have to revisit these but I hope not, They look good like this.

Dannerr and T-roaster like this.
  11. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

wait a minute...that's not a small block chevy

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  12. Rad stuff was purchased at a reasonable price. Found not one but 2 guys getting out of the rad business nearby. Bought torches second hand and the one fellow supplied me with all the tinning paste, flux and solder to get a couple of rads going. I'll laugh if this thing DOESN'T leak right out of the gate!

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  13. Ha Ha - there's a 406 hidden back there on a stand - behind the 62 Pontiac hood. That's funny - I actually pulled it out of my roadster to install a Chrysler. The SBC didn't have the "Victoria's Secret" appeal of a hemi. On the other hand... it was a running, driving car when I did that 5 years ago. Maybe I should've left it alone.

14. Pete

Pete

Dude.... Ralphys tub is killer, I'm liking it!

15. Spent the entire weekend hooking up the e-brake (or park brake technically). Welded bungs into the '39 or '40 backing plates from an old set of 9 inch ones I had in the back room. Would rather have taken it all apart and done it on the bench but I'm starting to panic - it's August already!

Collecting paperwork to get the British Columbia assigned VIN. All down hill from here.
    I'll take pics of the floor structure and post. I did not do the bodywork on this car and may dodge that bullet yet!

16. dash.JPG

38 Ford dash - 50 Ford mast, wheel and shifter. 239- 3 speed. OD in the works.

Dannerr, patmanta and brad2v like this.
  17. Hell yes ..... you are the man !!

18. blowing it apart this weekend for all the final welding. All builds that require a BC assigned VIN also require a motor vehicle inspection as part of the process. The MVI will require a structural integrity test, which has a box to check off for weld inspections. Welds cannot be dressed (within reason - you can clean them up as long as no appreciable material is removed) so I will be doctoring up all visible (with the body on) welds with the tig.

19. dentisaurus

dentisaurus
    from Boston

I like the E brake set up, thinking about a similar approach on mine.
    What are you using for a pivot on the rear radius rods, Hiem joints?

20. Thanks for the feedback guys. I kinda thought I'd get in SH*T for the tube cross members on this style of build. Next one will be '34 style. Likely easier to fabricate as well.

21. rear.JPG
    Yup. I got a pic somewhere. I also made quasi-ladder bars out of the radius rods. JustplainJ said these things will break if you don't have an upper member to stop the twist. I went a little over board on them.

You can kinda see the heim joints here - as well as the DOM tubing. I cannot weld permanent web members in the radius rods - cause I'll never get the rear end out! I was thinking of making webs that welded to the Ford part, and bolted to the DOM. I think they are strong enuf for that 239.

Don't laugh at the pinion angle - it's textbook - though Matt laughed at it! Machinists!

22. Pete

Pete

I'm not sure the HAMB is super traditional anymore..... Folks patrolling or policing it these days are guilty of not having "correct" or "traditional" touches on thair cars.... Such as radial tires, AC, rack and pinion... Just to name a few..
    If you ever get put on the spot... Tell them to piss off!

Build is top notch, above and beyond what most people could on this site only dream of accomplishing.

Kindly,
    Pete-

1927graham and Speedy Canuck like this.
  23. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Looking good Jeremy! I wanna see that rad together....

24. Awesome work!!

29Hiboy likes this.
  25. Deuce Man

Deuce Man

My cut down 32 sedan has a 50 merc motor, 3 speed with OD shifted by a 40 column and wheel. This car is my favorite of all the cars I have owned and driven in the last 50 plus years. Rich

29Hiboy likes this.
  26. OH YEAH!

29Hiboy likes this.
  27. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Good stuff!
    Yea, the edit button is your friend, wish more people would use it.

28. Well I don't know about your assessment of our HAMB brethren, but the nod is appreciated. I was a bit torn - I wanted to build a traditional car but really wanted to use tubing... like the boys at Northrop or Douglas or Grumman, yah that's it! There I redeemed myself. ha ha.