Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ralph Schenk Streamliner.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kurtis, May 23, 2009.

1. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

why do you say HMMMMM ?

I Figured there might be some good info & interest in this Post, But only few people & posts after a couple days.

You have to agree, if this was a post about a 350 Chevy or another Air Bag whatever ... There would be 15 pages in 3 hours.

But not much action on a REAL Time Piece...

2. miller91

miller91

Easy boys, take a deep breath. Let's all just be glad that this tremendously important car does not have a 350 OR air bags installed. I am watching this post anxiously for more info on one of my favorite racers. Keep the thread goin'

3. agentwaldo

agentwaldo
    from Ventura

I have seen pictures of this car in several books[ the American Hot Rod, d. Batchelor is one]and always wondered if it still existed, glad to hear that it does and hope to at least see pictures of it when it's finished . A truly unique piece of Hot Rodding history.
    Waldo

4. One of my favorite cars- any more pics of the engine bay (diggin' that valve cover)?

5. The37Kid

The37Kid

I'll dig out that issue of Hot Rod and look for you. Ever look at a car photo and think you've seen the car in another form? Ever since that photo was posted with the Buffalo? wire wheels on the front I keep thinking of a car in an early magazine with the same front wheels and a Bantan Coupe body. Did this car have a life after the streamliner body?

6. rodncustom

rodncustom

...and worth every dollar!

7. Babyearl

Babyearl

I share the same last name spelled Schenk,, not Schenck as Ralph's. I am not related to Ralph but I am old enough that I could have been his nephew. I was just not lucky in my life placement, damn the luck.

8. Kiwi Tinbender

Kiwi Tinbender

Wow...When I was in the Super Fours 20 plus years ago, a guy named Bob Arner joined up. Ran a Mazda RX7, if I remember right. Older guy, too.Never put 2and 2 together. Also turned down Mark Dees offer of an autographed copy of the first Miller book.....Dumb foreign kid,no money...still dumb, foreign and broke....Hell......

9. [​IMG]

the streamliner only graces the cover and has a little description on the contents page, it never had a article done on it unfortunately.

10. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Based on old pictures of the Schenck/Arner car from early Hop Up and HRM magazines, I went looking for the car around 1969, thinking it would make a cool restoration project. Eventually I learned from Ted Fry of the Culver City Screwdrivers that it had been destroyed in a trailering accident, and I gave up looking for it.

Years later I discovered that Terry Baldwin owned its remains, and met Terry through a mutual friend. We've discussed the streamliner for years since then, and I anxiously await its resurrection.

As built by Mr. Schenck before the war, it had a Chevy 4 with an Olds 3-port head. When Bob Arner bought it, it ran a flathead V8 and was painted in the flamed scheme shown in some of the pictures. I believe its trailered destruction occurred while Arner owned it.

If I remember correctly, Terry has the original frame, parts of the engine, and miscellaneous mechanical bits from the original car. As described in an earlier post, the body spent some time as a playhouse and was lost. Terry was in touch with Mr. Schenck (pronounced SKENK) extensively before his passing, so was able to learn much about its original construction.

Terry has always been very helpful and interested in conversation about the car. I don't know whether he'd be interested in this discussion or not, but I'll pass this thread along to him just in case.

11. customcory

customcory

One of my favorites. I'll be looking foward to seeing it restored.:D

12. The37Kid

The37Kid

13. Harry Bergeron

Harry Bergeron
    from SoCal

14. Terry It's Gary Emory call me 9712374648

15. LastMinuteMark

LastMinuteMark
    from So. Cal.

suprised nobody's updated this.....pebble beach around the corner fellas.....think its gonna make it??......whats the story with the motor rebuild....man what i would give to help rebuild that motor....

i've seen early pics of this car.....i noticed none of the pics here show the wing type things over the rear axle..... i thought it was an attempt at creating down force on the rear end.....maybe something that sounded good but didnt work??

16. 39 chevy kustom

39 chevy kustom

So just wondering, how much of the original car was left to restore ? Also my last name is Schenck pronounced (Shank)

17. 50Fraud

50Fraud

According to Terry Baldwin, who owns the car and met with Ralph multiple times, Ralph pronounced his name "Skenk". Just sayin'.

18. G'day Mick, car is set for debut at PB.

The Schenck streamliner never had rear wheel pods that was the Bob Rufi Streamliner and is what many believe to have caused his crash in 1940.

19. alsancle

alsancle

Sweet photo Bob, where did you find that?

20. The37Kid

The37Kid

Glad to see this thread back up and running! Alsancle, I stole that photo from another HAMB feature.

21. artlentz

artlentz
    from CA

The restorer may be a guy named Will Kalbermatter in Ventura, CA. He did the Spurgin/Giovanine car and worked on Old Yeller II for Ernie Nagamatsu.

Art

22. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Dunno about Will. Terry Baldwin owns it (he lives in Ventura). A guy named Webb is building the body (not Dan Webb), and Don Ferguson is assembling the engine. I've seen pictures of the mostly-completed body, and Terry will have it at Pebble at the expense of a lot of sleep.

23. Will is still working on the Spurgin/Giovanine roadster

I too have seen the pics and the car is progressing, I look forward to seeing it in the flesh at Pebble Beach in August.

Tony are you going to Pebble Beach?

24. 50Fraud

50Fraud

No -- Pebble is now too rich for my fixed-income blood.

25. kurtis

kurtis
    from Australia

I was waiting for the date to come and go and Jimmy mentioned he was going so i decided to wait on him for some photos before bringing this back to the top.

I'm happy there is interest in the resto.

26. customcory

customcory

Heres a old 1995 drawing I did, this car has always been in the back of my mind, if I was rich I would have cloned it a long time ago!

[​IMG]

27. customcory

customcory

It would make a good Pebble Beach T-shirt design?!:rolleyes: