Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Raising wheel well tops 53-54 chevy

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by ftwmfer, Mar 31, 2015.

1. ftwmfer

ftwmfer
    from Orange Ca

I got my 53 bel air running bitching but the tires rub it still lays out good but could go lower I don't want to tub it and was thinking of just raising the wheel wells and adding a strip but I'm not to sure what to do with the area that goes into the cab/rear seat portion does that get raised too (so I would have to cut the area out in side where the window crank is more or less). Does anyone have any detailed pictures of how they did there's? Here's mine now in the first picture and the second one is what I want to do but would like to see how the front of it was done. Thanks
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1427843638.108278.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1427843821.566418.jpg

2. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I helped to a 53 coupe with a friend. His car will now lay the frame flat on the ground. we had to cut the wheel wells out of the car and used trailer fenders moved almost up to the top of the fenders before we cleared everything. The trunk area had to be completely rebuilt and skinned for the tanks and compressors. we did have to cut into the metal on the sides. His windows were already fixed so the window register was already gone
    This video shows a lot of what we did in and around the trunk. The owner is on the HAMB

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/members/jjaeger240.89654/

I'm sure if you drop him a PM he can photo anything that might be of help to you

3. ftwmfer

ftwmfer
    from Orange Ca

Thanks man for the info I'm trying to avoid putting new wheel wells since I already shaped the floor and trunk to the stock ones what I'm trying to do is raise them and fill in the gap

4. Rynos63

Rynos63

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    I know you said you wanted to keep the factory tub and i did the trailer tub, but you can see that i kept the front of the factory tub in the seat area and just did the trailer tub in the back. I don't have to alter the seat back at all. Just the bottom for the drive line tunnel and the 4-link arms. I am running 205 75 15 tires. There are more pictures of my build if you go to the link in my signature.

5. ftwmfer

ftwmfer
    from Orange Ca

Awesome man that's real close to what I have been looking for!

6. mrconcdid

mrconcdid
    from Florida

Get smaller tires? Just a thought. Godspeed MrC.