Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs RAISING the front of my Shoebox Ford——Ditching the 3" JAMCO springs for 2" Aerostars

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MainProp, Sep 23, 2012.

1. daddio211

daddio211

You'll have to go back and edit each post, linking the photos again.

This is the very reason I've encouraged everyone (for several years) to post their photos directly on their threads. That way nothing is lost.

I know, I know, "Now you tell me!", right? Too many old tech threads 10-12 plus years have no photos and as such are mostly useless. Whether they were linked from photobucket or even their own HAMB photo album the links only work for so long. :(

2. Alright... I figured it out! I have corrected the text glitches and the images have been reinserted. Much better.
    daddio211- Unfortunately, I reinserted the images like I did before, so if this forum gets another upgrade, it will probably be f'd again. I'm learning... slowly. All my new posts will have the images directly on the threads. Baby steps...

daddio211 likes this.
  3. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I know how too low can be,I had to raise my 55 sunliner up a couple inches all the way around before the first trip to Florida.

4. daddio211

daddio211

Thanks for taking the time to fix the links!

5. Great thread and timely for me. I am in the middle of installing Aerostar Moog's in my new '50 Merc when I found a buggered coil. http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=207358 Realizing there are several subtle differences between '50 Merc and Ford but both front ends are close in design. I had some thoughts as I glean your post for information to help my situation, and perhaps a new Merc enthusiast may be considering this adventure.
    1. Your choice of Monroe shocks (now made in China) may be fine but according to their specs have a stoke some inch less than Gabriel and KYB equivalent. It may limit ride excursion especially when A arm travel is uncertain. And then Monroe may have used bad numbers on their site. Almost said fake.
    2. My original coils are a whoppin' 4" taller than the new Moog coils and were under very little tension in place. The Moog coil floats in place with no tension. (A arm installed but wheel dropped - jackstand under car frame). I'm hoping the Merc's lower coil isolator takes up hopefully 1/2" slack (isolator not here yet). Ford has NO lower coil isolator, coil resting directly in the A-arm pocket. But it would help to limit the amount or drop if necessary to further limit the drop while maintaining a great improvement in ride.. I will repost when the isolators come in and I permanently reattach the A-arm.
    3. You show an upper bump stop, does Ford not have a lower bump stop? Merc has both upper and lower? I'm looking for a source and since you note list Energy Sys for your upper I have to wonder.
    4. I'm also looking for sway bar bushings and can't find a source. Anyone?

Learning daily as I spend my spare hours under the car getting to intimately know it but all answers raise new questions..