Register now to get rid of these ads!

Raising the front end

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hoplias, Oct 4, 2008.

1. hoplias

hoplias
    from California

I have a 65 falcon that I kinda want to go for a minor gasser look.
    I lowered the back 2" so the stock height will look a little raised in the front but I wondered if there is anyway to raise the front with stock suspension.I mean not sure if I can put spacers or somthing to get it ride as high as possbel but still have some driveability ?
    Thanks

2. A Chopped Coupe

A Chopped Coupe

Putting blocks or spacers in the front springs makes the car ride like a "buck board". If you want to gain a couple of inches go with station wagon springs. It worked for me back in the day, and looks pretty cool without compromising the ride/driveablity.

3. hoplias

hoplias
    from California

4. David Chandler

David Chandler

Watch the length of your shocks too. If the springs are shimmed or replaced, sometimes the shocks will run out of travel. Back in the 60's people used to do this, and a few of them had broken shocks as a result. I remember seeing a couple of Mustangs that had bolt on clamps to spread the spring, that suffered shock failure. You might also want to look at springs from a larger car, like a Fairlane wagon.

5. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Had a 63' Chevy II station wagon; essentially, the front suspension is identical to the Falcon/Comet/early Mustang. I used a pair of coil wrapped overload shocks, and put 3" extensions on the shocks; so I had to "compress" them even more to get them in. Lifted the front up about 3" with a 327 engine in the car. Was'nt too stiff or bouncy. Butch/56sedandelivery.