Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Raising the Fenders ?

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by MannyK, Jun 29, 2014.

1. I recently fell in love with these cars from the 40s customs thread, Especially the ones in the magazine. How is the process of raising the fenders actually done? And also does anyone have anymore pics of the magazine cars, I would love to know about the hood sectioning, and channeling to.
    ,,,Thanks

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. The cars are usually sectioned or channeled over the frame to achieve the raised fenders. HRP

3. squirrel

squirrel

Channeling raises the frame into the body. Sectioning takes a part of the upper body out, making it look like the fenders were raised. Actually, the top of the body is lowered.

4. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

5. hfracing53

hfracing53

MannyK, Hello . That's a neat look . I would say they channeled the body , over the frame , from the firewall back . Probably Lengthened the back of the front fender to match the rocker panel and sectioned the hood to match the new cowl height . Looks like a fun project . The hood would be a challenge . Let me know , if you decide to try it . I'm interested .

6. Thanks guys, ive gotten some ideas on this!

7. How much do you think these cars were channeled?

8. And any info on who owned these cars?

9. 50Fraud

50Fraud

10. Roadsir

Roadsir

Height of the frame rails was typical (5"). My Dad did a 40 coupe this way. Channeled, No section on the body, raised fenders, sectioned hood, chopped roof. It makes a nice looking custom.

11. lucas doolin

lucas doolin

12. lucas doolin

lucas doolin

Last (bottom) picture is Mickey Chiachi's Barris built beauty from the early 1950s.

13. lucas doolin

lucas doolin

Typically, channeled cars delete the running boards while sectioned cars often retain them (although quite a few sectioned cars deleted the boards and added a rocker panel). It's probably less work to section a '39 - 40 than to channel it and raise the fenders. IMHO.

14. 50Fraud

50Fraud

We decided that the opposite was probably true. Originally planning to section mine, we decided instead to channel it and cut off the bottoms of the doors and quarters. The running boards stayed in their stock location on the frame. It was necessary to section the quarters to raise the wheel houses (to raise the rear fenders), but the front fenders just bolt to the cowl so no modification was necessary other than bolting them higher up.

Here's how it looked as a channeled coupe with raised fenders, before the top was cut off:
    [​IMG]
    Edit: I say "we" as if I was actually doing the sweating and bleeding. Don Dillard and his sidekick Ethan have done all the real work.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2014
  15. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

This is a route I've considered for my Plymouth, except for wanting a Carson top as well. The Plymouth frame tops out about 4.5" x 6" at the deepest which is near the cowl.

Really? I would have guessed the opposite. Is this mainly due to relocating body mounts?

16. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

This car ^ is absurdly beautiful, even in this state. I don't mind saying that my pants just got tight after seeing this photo. Do you have any of the finished car? Things might get interesting here!

17. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

Heh heh...it's a cute lil' pup alright. :cool:

18. 50Fraud

50Fraud

It's still not finished, but this is pretty recent:
    [​IMG]
    The thread I referenced in post #10 shows the whole build of the car with lots of pictures right up to the present.

My avatar is a Photoshop of what it's supposed to look like when it's done.