Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects RainierHooker's '28 A - Wartime Tub Build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by RainierHooker, Dec 9, 2012.

1. Congrats on gettin' hitched Evan........have a long and happy life together.
    Oh............and the car's comin' along pretty well too........

2. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Absolutely fantastic build. Reminds me of my first Model A. Got it running stock and proceeded to 'hot rod" it as I learned the basics. Turned it into an Av8 that served as my only vehicle for the last two years of high school and first two years of college. Keep posting the progress, it's a trip down memory lane for me.

Frank

3. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

Thanks all. The car has kinda taken a back burner to all that's going on at the moment, but work will resume as soon as the dust settles. There's plenty yet to do.

On the cool-front though as a 'wedding-gift' one of my friends said I could have the 59T engine out of his '41 truck, as soon as I help him pull it.

I'm super-stoked, but now comes the big question: turn the Phaeton into an AV8, or keep the tub banger-powered and throw the V8 at the pile of parts I'm accumulating for the next build?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

4. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

...also, a question. The truck has the 'big' truck tranny. My friend said I could take it too, but I don't know if it is worth enough for my purposes to drag it home so it can take up space in the garage 'till I get around to doing something with it.

Is it worth it?

Posted using my Lil' Orphan Annie Secret Society Decoder Pin

5. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

Congrats !!!!
    Safe the V8 for the next build

6. Another vote for "keep it a banger"........but you know I'm nuts.

I've had those "big truck" transmissions lying around the shop.................and that's all they do. I've never had an ad response on one yet. Now, the bell housing is a different story. Those are valuable for T5 swaps if it's the one I'm thinking of.

7. Sweet build 5-stars for sure...always loved Phaetons!

Really like the fact you're going with 17" tires...I'm looking into the same 7.00-17's on the "Hardscrabble Hop-up". Please post pics when they're mounted up!

8. tub's are cool. your steering wheel is great

9. colinsmithson

colinsmithson

Looking good take the time and do how you want
    short cuts now just you up later
    Congrates on getting hitched
    Colin

10. Barn Hunter

Barn Hunter

Congrats....good luck on the car and bungalow, too!

11. Oh, and keep the banger...

12. Depends on, what your next build should be - but I'd keep the banger in this, as long as it goes. ;)

13. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

Well, I was planning on doing a '50s build for the next one. I've got a complete Model A rolling chassis, a '58 Chevy 283 and 3-Speed, and a whole bunch of other little odds 'n ends that I've been accumulating like '50s SW gauges and the like.

It hinges on what sort of body I pull down, but I have been envisioning a full-fendered sedan, set up as a real mild boulevard cruiser.

But then again, with the 59T, who knows, I may be looking at a little earlier of a build...

Regardless, I think I'll keep the banger in the Phaeton, at least until it gives up the ghost. I'm too far into it now to give up on that little chunk of iron.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2013
  14. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

Finally after a long, long, long wait, I got my wheels and tires back from the powder-coat/wheel shop. Here they are in all their bent-spoke, gum-dipped glory...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

...I gotta go pick up the car from my friend's place, where it has been staying for a while, but I should have these mounted up in no time.

15. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

Well, we braved the monsoon yesterday and finally got the Phaeton back home where she belongs...

[​IMG]

We got in well after dark, but even still, I had to throw the new shoes on the rear...

[​IMG]

...with the taller stock on the rear end, the rake is now what I would call 'comical'. Guess its time to actually get that T spring back there. Since I'm a government employee, and we may be getting furloughed with the gov-shut-down I may have more than enough time to keep working on the tub.

16. Well..........it is a tub...............;)

Last edited: Sep 30, 2013
  17. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

it looks fantastic. the T spring will make a big difference.

18. Gonna need a side shot to really tell the difference. But it looks awesome from here.

19. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

I plan on getting a good shot of it out of the garage, with the new wheels, when I get home. Or whenever the rain subsides...

The big functional project is gonna be getting the carb tuned. The car runs and drives, but there is a definate dead-spot on acceleration; when you push the pedal the engine revs for a split second, then bogs down, and then a few seconds later accelerates normally. I'm going to start playing musical-jets tonight.

20. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

Here's the promised pics of it outside the confines of the garage...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now, I like rake just as much as the next guy, but to me this just looks silly, and we're not even gonna start mentioning castor-angle. I think that if, through the T spring, I can get the ass-end down about 1 1/2" to 2" she'll be just fine. Time to get crackin'...

21. Looks reet!

-Shiny

22. just remember to take out one leaf(the second longest) or it won't give you the look you are looking for
    here is mine with a t spring

[​IMG]

23. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

Well, it happened. The Government shut down, and I'm on furlough. After I got all my affairs together, it was time to get back in the garage.

I started out by getting the carb sorted with a little jetting and choke adjustment. It seems to like .040" mains and a little choke from the get go. At least that's what I can tell without actually taking it out and thrashing it.

Then it was T (spring) time...

[​IMG]

We have separation...

[​IMG]

And then I got the spring all mounted up to the axle, minus one leaf (thanks Tub In Da Dirt), and started buttoning it all up. But I have a problem...

[​IMG]

...I can't for the life of me get the retainers (or hangers, or whatever they're called) in because I don't have enough thread protrusion from the U-bolts. What am I doing wrong?

Do I have to use different retainer-doo-hickies, or is the center bolt possably not in the hole? Or do I have to put some weight on the spring to spread it out?

After dicking with it for a while, I decided to do the latter, and I put the wheels back on and put the car back on the ground while I have diner, a beer or two and maybe a long nights sleep.

24. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

I like to jack it up just a little and rock the rear end till it goes "thunk" in the hole. Then i put the car down and put the clamps on. Maybe you could take out some shorter leafs or cut a piece of plate. I just went out and looked at mine. much shorter maybe yours are for a roadster and mine are from a truck due to the different springs.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2013
  25. Those are roadster spring clamps, you need sedan or truck ones. The tall portion in the middle is shorter on them.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

26. Villlage Idiot

Villlage Idiot

I'm curious about the "59T" engine that your friend has given you. The "59" blocks which were first introduced in 1942 and ran through '48 were identified as: 59-59A-59AB-59L (factory relieved)-59M-59X-59Y and 59Z during their run. The last three were designated for military use and from everything that I can find there was no "59T". I'm thinking that if it was in a big '41 truck yours is probably a "99T" which were used in 39 to 41 big trucks and are the same as "99A's" which were found in the same years of Mercs. These blocks are considered the holy grail of flatheads and have more material than most other early flatheads. You have probably heard about these blocks. Not very many escaped the postwar circle track guys who craved them because they could be bored larger than most other flatheads.

You should find a "99" stamped in the right front edge of the intake manifold deck. Ask your friend where he's finding the "T" on the engine. If you have the Bishop/Tardel traditional Ford hot rod book check page 72 for a photo that will also help to identify a "99" when you pull a head.

If it is indeed a "99" block and it's in good shape, congratulations. I looked for one for a few years before a nice block from a restored 40 Merc came my way out of the blue. Your friend may have unknowingly given you a wedding gift that's more valuable than a set of fine china.

Let us know what you find.

27. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

I haven't confirmed what the engine really is, I have yet to yank it out. It is in a 1941 Ford 1.5 ton truck and when I asked my buddy to look for any casting numbers he said it had one that he thought was "59T". Since I'm unemployed for the time being, I'll probably head down and pull it in the next few days.

As for the spring issue, thanks Matt. I just looked through my spares and have another set of roadster clamps. Anyone got a set if Sedan ones in the local area?

28. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

Well, the T spring is 'in'. It is definitely centered in the crossmember, and for now I just flipped the clamps so I can roll the car around 'n such. I'm still looking for a set of sedan/truck clamps locally before I order some repops, or I'll just make some out of plate.

There is a bit less rake now, I think I want to loose one more leaf, but I think we are good for right now...

[​IMG]

As you can see, I threw the hood on as well. I think I like it more this way than hoodless...

[​IMG]

I've got to cut down my hood shelves and fit the latches and welting. Guess I have a project for the day.

29. Evan, if you want to do an exchange I've got a few choices. Might want to talk dimensions first.