Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical radio restorer needed

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1930artdeco, Nov 25, 2021.

1. I just picked up a T & C radio for my 57 wagon (it is a 58 radio judging by the knobs). Any how it will need a total resto before it works. I know where to get the plastic redone but who restores these radios? Any links, POC's?

Thanks,

Mike

2. @radiobill here on the HAMB may be able to help.

3. donsz

donsz

Unless you want an original radio, you might consider a radio from Custom Auto Sound. They look like the original on the outside, but use modern technology. They also have features like blue tooth. I'm guessing the cost would be in the price spectrum of a refurb. I had a couple of refurb radios, the sensitivity of my Custom Auto Sound replica is way better, plus I get FM (the original in the truck was AM only). Also, while they usually install a solid-state multi-vibrator, tubes in a refurb can fail more readily then solid-state/microprocessor circuitry.
    don

dana barlow likes this.
  4. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

A good restoration will have excellent sensitivity compared to modern solid state radios, though they will not compare as well in selectivity. The tubes are rugged, don't worry about those. A restoration may not be what he wants, sometimes that word isn't used in the way intended?

5. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Put that one in for looks and install a Custom Autosound Secret Audio system. I have them in all of my cars and love them. I have an iPod loaded up with in excess of 10k songs, so when I hit the road I can listen to anything I want to. You might use your phone for the same.

6. AccurateMike

AccurateMike

And then you can do an LS swap too....
    Traditional can mean different things to different people. I can see why you might want to get the tubes working again. Mike

'34 Ratrod likes this.
  7. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

57 what?. . . . . . . Probably a Dodge.. it’s always a Dodge..

8. I tend to be an 'originalist (is that a word?)' so a full resto is in order at some point. I love the sound of tubes and will try and get a USB port installed so that we can use our phone and some blue tooth type speakers. The radio is AM/FM from the factory-now how good the FM side is I don't know as it was early on in the FM band tech wise. The rebuild won't be for another year as I have floor pans, glass, wiring and power train stuffing ahead of it. This was one of the few options ordered with the car so back in it goes.

Thanks,

Mike

9. Jimmy six-sorry I should add to my tag line that it is a Ford Country Sedan 6 passenger wagon.

Mike

10. egads

egads

57 Ford factory AM/FM ?

11. 5window

5window

12. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's cool. I used to restore tube amps. Most of the time, dried out capacitors were the biggest problems. Hemmings has ads for people who specialize in radio restorations. Good luck!

dana barlow likes this.
  13. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Having one that looks like factory is fine,but we don't live in a world that plays the music that goes with the car,or even with your own likes I think.=OK to look like the factory when new,but total of todays programing sucks on the radio right now. So get some new gutts in it,so that it's not just filling the hole,n enjoy some older tunes.

210superair and rockable like this.
  14. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Factory radio with FM in the 1950s?

egads likes this.
  15. PhilA

PhilA
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Hydro Tech

That's an interesting set- early hybrid of solid state and tube, from before the transistors were good enough to be used in the front end of the radio.
    It's got a few awkward parts to find if they're bad- but overall not too bad. FM by today's standards will be pretty abysmal. A brief glance at the schematic and retrofitting bluetooth would not be too hard to it which opens up streaming to the device but retaining the original functionality (did that to my radio and it works well).

Go pop the question over at the Antique Radio Forum some very helpful folks over there, who could either take it on or recommend service.

Phil

loudbang, AccurateMike and Truck64 like this.
  16. 51 mercules

51 mercules

My friend had radio done at Doller's Radio Service several years ago and was happy with them.
    714) 774-6770
    726 S Anaheim BlvdAnaheim, CA 92805

17. PhilA

PhilA
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Hydro Tech

Some of them do! Normally the loudspeaker is the weak point. The amp in this radio looks to be set up class AB1 which is standard for a transistor output stage.
    I had my old Delco sitting on my bench for a few days playing, connected to one of my big cabinet speakers from the living room (a high sensitivity Sansui) and the audio output is most excellent! Figures, given that it's basically the same design as used by Fender in their guitar amps...

That output stage, if connected to an external source should sound pretty good, especially with your favorite playlist. If you have a modern playback device, set the EQ to kill the bass under 500Hz and treble above 5000Hz else you'll overload the amp and speaker if you try turn it up.

Phil