Register now to get rid of these ads!

Radio Removal of a 1959 Cadillac

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LaurieB, Sep 4, 2012.

1. LaurieB

LaurieB

I have the Retro-Sound Radio ready to go in the 1959 Cadillac - I've already installed one of these units before and have lot of experience with car electronics on more modern cars... the problem is I just can't figure out exactly what I need to do to get the radio out of the dashboard on the '59 Cadillac

All I've been able to find on Retro-Sound's FlickR album is a picture of the dash panel there, and then a picture of the dash panel removed, with no information on how to get from one step to the next.

Once I've got the dashboard open I can figure the rest out - so appreciate any help anyone can give - especially pictures!

Thanks

Laurie

2. Curly5759

Curly5759
    from Aridzona

Factory service manual says it is accessed through the Glove box area.

If you want more room, try what I did:
    Remove the trim screws from the dash pad, under the dash lip, in front of the radio, remove the trim screws under the dash board area. Take the lower steering column trim off (2 screws) and take the transmission shift pointer off.
    Place your hands under the 2 bulges on the dash (clock and medallion/cruise) and push up, then pull towards you a little.
    This will give you enough room to access the radio from the top. I used a very short piece of 2x4 placed just to the left of the radio to hold the dash pad up.
    You may have to disconnect the speedometer cable, I did.

HTH

Curly

3. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

Dash pad comes off radio comes out.... As stated above