Register now to get rid of these ads!

Radiators copper or aluminum

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Stanislao, Apr 22, 2011.

1. Which type do you prefer? Some people suggest that aluminum radiators actually dissipate heat more effectively than copper, due to the lack of solder between the pipes and the fins. Others suggest that the difference in conductivity has no significant effect.

2. Gman0046

Gman0046

Copper radiators are more efficient and easier to repair. If weight is an issue go aluminum. I have had good results with both copper and aluminum made by Griffin. What ever you do don't buy anything Chinese made.

3. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Gman nailed it, BRASS/COPPER!!
    People have luck from time to time with aluminium but its hit and miss, my old man owns three radiator shops and taught me what little I know on the subject.
    Funny but I trust him!!

Doc.

4. Aluminum for race cars; Brass/Copper for street use.

5. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

Like many things, the answer is that; it depends. With two cores of comparable design and fin density, the aluminum radiator will outperform most made of copper/brass. There are various core designs and fin densities in both aluminum and copper/brass, and depenbding on design there is some overlap between them. Having done work for a manufacturer of heavy truck and starionary engine radiators, I know that in that case the less conductive aluminum radiators cool more efficiently than a copper/brass equivalent. There are cases where modern aluminum radiators with a single row of airfoil shaped tubes outperform traditional fin & tube copper/brass radiators having several rows of tubes. Aluminum race radiators are essentially old copper/brass designs with fully brazed joints. So in that case the only efficiency advantage the aluminum radiator has over copper/brass is the brazing.

One major advantage of aluminum radiators is that fully brazed construction makes them more durable than the typical copper/brass equivalent, because most copper/brass radiators are not fully soldered.

6. ricktard

ricktard
    from spokane

7. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

Built 2 32 Fords both had aluminum radiators. never had a cooling problem or any other problems.

Ago

8. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

I've had both. The aluminum cooler better but the copper/brass lasted longer.

9. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

Because this is a TRADITIONAL board, I am surprised any one says aluminum. :D
    In most HAMB friendly vehicles ... the aluminum ones look UGLY as @#%^.

:D

I always use brass/copper :eek:

10. dragsta

dragsta
    BANNED

if weight is not a consideration, go with silver or gold. ;)

11. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

My 35 has a new old style copper/brass radiator and I just bought a similar Walker radiator for my 46 Olds.

12. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Brass radiators have been around over 100 years for a reason.

13. rob lee

rob lee
    from omaha,ne

One word electrolysis,my aluminum rad only lasted a few years.Sprung a leak in the middle of the core. The shop told me I should of had a ground on the rad.I run a walker now....

14. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I've had aluminum in my rod for years. HD welded, not the cheap stamped crap with epoxied cores. It works great, and never given me a problem. Just put another in the Austin, so not enought time to tell on 2nd one yet.

15. Copper/brass as a "material" is actually more efficient at dissipating heat. "BUT" it's not strong enough to make a 1"- 1 1/4" wide tube as the aluminum is able to. That much wider tube gives way more fin to tube contact area, and THAT is what makes the aluminum "radiator" far superior in heat dissipation. Scuff the aluminim radiator with scotch brite pads and paint black for a more traditional look, use a cathode radiator cap to eliminate electrolysis, and use a cooling system additive to keep down other corrosives

16. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Forgot to add, I always use antifreeze Ethyl-glycol rather than water as the car sits around sometimes and doesn't get driven as much as I'd like. It does get damn hot down under where I live and I believe the antifreeze keeps it a little cooler. In my 97 Explorer the OEM radiator suffered from stray current and developed a leak despite that couldn't be fixed so I had to buy a replacement radiator. It had OEM style plastic side tanks and wasn't welded like custom made aftermarket radiators.

17. I believe in the old brass and copper radiators. They need much less upkeep and aren't finicky about needing additives like the aluminum ones. They've also outlasted every aluminum one I've had. Plus brass can take a rock and not leak as easily as an aluminum one will.

18. felix37

felix37

brass/copper the only way to go! Walker radiators are the best!

19. philly the greek

philly the greek
    from so . cal.

I have a custom built aluminum radiator that has a black aerospace coating designed to dissepate the heat. It's been on the car for three years and 10k miles with no problems at all .

20. Royalshifter & Rob Lee have good comments. We have the Chinese/Taiwanese manufactured alloy rads down here (New Zealand), they maybe cheap in price (compared to brass/copper) but that's what you get in quality too. Electrolysis is a big killer of alloy rads, espcialy in modified cars.

21. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

iv got a brass 4 core outta who knows what. Grabbed it when i was at the junk yard. Fixed it 3 times myself, and currently dont have a cooling fan. Car doesnt get over 180 as long as im moving

22. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

I know of at least 2 people that had failures in the newer Walker radiators. The Radiator repair shop said the didn't tin the side tanks when it was made.

Ago

23. Lucky3

Lucky3

X2....right on the money !

24. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

If you want it to look like an old hotrod...copper

If you want it to look like a modern day street rod trailer queen...aluminum. and don't forget the electric fan.:D

It took a while to find a good cheap original radiator for my 56 but it never was going to be an aluminum radiator. I was tempted more than once but I stood up to the temptation. I'm proud of myself.:D

25. 39 All Ford

39 All Ford
    from Benton AR

Frankly I prefer the ECONOMY of the cheaper AMERICAN MADE aluminum radiators, I haven't ever paid $700 for a car radiator and don't ever want to.

I have been able to score American made aluminum radiators for between $250 and $450. I say steer clear of the "high end" brands regardless....

26. AA/Fuel34fordpu

AA/Fuel34fordpu

Doesnt matter to me as long as my car doesnt over heat